Radar detectors?

tractorman

Reaction score
Am looking at getting an radar detector, any ideas?

The polis round my way (west Scotland) just use the handheld radar guns and hide at the side of the road waiting to do you with their glorified hairdryer.

Theres no fixed cameras around here, but was thinking on getting "RA Compact" maybe too for when I travel further afield (but I understand that just tells you where fixed cameras that are in the database, and not moblie 1s).

Seen on Radar-dectectors site:

Cheetah
Cheetah Sentinel
Snooper S
Snooper S5-R
Bel Euro 550

Which one is the best or any other ideas?

I need to get one too!!

I will get roadangel with the lazer detector bit

the new road angel comes with it built in iirc

ive got a road ange classic and its seperate but does allow me to have the main unit tucke away in the corner of the dash so only the laser ball is in the centre

alan

Laser detectors are pretty useless as they just tell you that you've been zapped, you need a laser jammer to avoid mobile traps.

I primarly after a radar dector for around here just now, as the Road Angel (as far as Im aware and also similar GPS detector equipment) doesnt dectect the gits standing with their hand-held radar at the side of the road, only the positions of fixed cameras and mobile 1s at roadworks by the GPS positions thats on the database, am I not correct?

So it wouldnt be any use to me out here in the sticks (as theres no fixed cameras etc), they just use hand-held radar around here and hide at different points in the road. But would get one (probably the Road Angel Compact) at some point in the future for when I travel to Glasgow, Edinburgh etc for the GPS locatons of fixed cameras.

Quite like the look of the Cheetah Sentinel, the sensor on the front bumper and box tucked away somewhere, any thots on it or is the Bell 550/Snooper prob the best bet?

Yeh I think the laser detectors are useless as they warn you when you've been zapped and its too late by then. The Jammers the way for laser guns, was thinking on that Laser Pro-Park thing, any good? I read somewhere that Cheetah were working with them for a wireless Jammer, but dont know if it could be incorperated with the Cheetah Sentinal box, which could be good if I opt for the Sentinel radar dector.

road angels do detect laser traps, the classic like ive got has a ball thet you fix to the centre of the windscreen as low as possible the newer one iirc has it all built in one unit.

but as said they only detect when you have been targeted and then you have a split second to hits the brakes before they target you again as they fire laser twice to confirm speed. so i suppose they are probaly as waste of time in the real world as you probably wouldnt react in time

you need a laser jammer, that scrambles/confuse the laser speed gun, BUT these are illegal if you get caught using it for tis purpose, but not illegal to own as they can be used to open things like automatic garages etc

alan

I have the snooper s in my car (got it with my syrius as a deal) IMO they are absolutely useless! It only starts beeping as I go past them and it goes off constantly in towns so much so I hardly ever turn it on now!

I have the New Road Angel (but not the NEW NEW Road Angel if you see what I mean).

It's kept me out of trouble on many occassions, especially when I drive into a new town etc.

Makes me drive more slowly and safely overall too :)

Never come across a handheld radar gun, they're all laser in my neck of the woods. As Les said my old radar detector was just annoying, going off at every pedestrian crossing/trafic light and shop doorway.

Hi all,

This is my first post on the site, only joined it a few days ago after buying my first audi but noticed this thread was discussing something i too had been looking at. I too have been told radar jammer is the way to go as long as you dont mind taking a chance with plod. Below is a link to a site with a product that was tested on fifth gear a while ago and worked very very well. The unit jams the radar signal for about 3-4 seconds giving you enough time to slow down while the radar gun/machine records and error message and not your actual speed. Once you have slowed down the jammer swithes itself off so the radar gun can record your new (and much slower) speed. It was very effective on the program. and as it switches itself off and you do end up having a speed recorded hopefully the police do just think it is a normal error on their radar guns. Any way that my 2 pennies worth. Hope its usefull. Not sure myself if im going to get one, had learned to drive more slowly since racking up 9 points. But they all come off this year year hoorah !!

cant post url til ive made at least 2 posts or more so just google (target ltc 100 radar detector)
radar-detector-shop

It's laser not radar, but yes I've got Target LRC's fitted to both our Audi's and they've saved both our licences in the 18 months since fitting them. IMO they're more important than camera detectors as at least a fixed camera gives you a fighting chance, but now the scamera partnerships are setting mobile traps in front of fixed cameras so they can pick you up a mile before the supposed accident blackspot then GPS systems won't really help. I have an RA2 as well which I find most useful just as an accurate speedo.

Laser it is then.....would you recomend getting it ?
Did you fit them yourself and was it difficult ?
If im going to spend £300+ i want something effective.....although its been a while since i last picked up any points it wasnt nice going through a period when the dvla or police had my licence more often than i did !!

Absolutely, its the only method unfortunately.
I fitted mine myself, relatively easy, and meant I could take my time and make it as invisible as possible (see pic below). The device is slightly smaller than a matchbox and is fitted underneath the number plate, then it's just a case of feeding the cable back into the cabin and wiring up an on/off switch and an LED. I used 2 LED's one to tell you the thing is armed and the other to flash when triggered, but this really isn't needed as the audible alarm is very loud. If I did it again I'd just use one to show it's on. The switch is handy as if you spot a trap you can turn the jammer off so that they can get a proper reading without any unnecessary jamming.
With regards to the legality, my view is that you really have to be taking the **** for numerous duff readings to get on anyones radar i.e. 2 or 3 times with the same constabulary. As yet the device has saved my wife and myself 9 points between us, so money well spent as we'd both be facing totting up bans otherwise. Been there, done that and don't recommend it.
lrc100_fitted.jpg

I must admit it sounds like the best overall investment. Also i didnt realise it was so small, very discrete and not something easily spotted, You would have to really search and now what you were looking for to find it. I think that could be my first purcahse, was looking at various additions to make as only just bought the car but best to make sure the licence is safer first. Thanks again.....usefull posting a picture too so ive got a better idea of what can be done with it. Cheers.

Hi

I have the Ledatec LRC100 too, and an Origin B2, the jammer actually plugs straight into the B2 so no need for the LED's etc, and had the B2 for 2 yrs now, it has never false alarmed, and is accurate to the nearest 3-4 metres!

Really good combo!
Cheers

I prefer the permanent install as we share an RA2 (since the other one got nicked in a smash & grab). So one of us is sometimes without the GPS detector. Do you have to have the B2 in the car for the jammer to work, or is that purely providing the alarm?

AndyMac said:
Absolutely, its the only method unfortunately.
I fitted mine myself, relatively easy, and meant I could take my time and make it as invisible as possible (see pic below). The device is slightly smaller than a matchbox and is fitted underneath the number plate, then it's just a case of feeding the cable back into the cabin and wiring up an on/off switch and an LED. I used 2 LED's one to tell you the thing is armed and the other to flash when triggered, but this really isn't needed as the audible alarm is very loud. If I did it again I'd just use one to show it's on. The switch is handy as if you spot a trap you can turn the jammer off so that they can get a proper reading without any unnecessary jamming.
With regards to the legality, my view is that you really have to be taking the **** for numerous duff readings to get on anyones radar i.e. 2 or 3 times with the same constabulary. As yet the device has saved my wife and myself 9 points between us, so money well spent as we'd both be facing totting up bans otherwise. Been there, done that and don't recommend it.
lrc100_fitted.jpg

Liking the look of this. Where do you get them from?

i really think i should invest in one, but have no idea what to choose and what to go for,

dont want to pay subscription and one which can be easily hacked ;)

like snooper S3 NEO