Focus 1.6tdci

rodenal

Reaction score
Does anybody have or driven one of these?

I notice they are getting mightily cheap looks like i could pick up just over a yr old one for about 8.5k

Seen they can be remapped to about 140bhp too which could be nice, although i dont care too much about the performance its just a motorway, 30k a year car for me.

Dont all start going on about buying an a3/a4 tdi instead because im just not willing to spend the money on one, thinking about going for a drive on one of these focuses(foci??) to see what they're like.

Still cant get my head round a 1yr old, 15k mile car with 2 years left on the warranty for that sort of money - just what im looking to spend.

Not driven one but the Focus does get good write ups. The only thing you have to consider are residuals, if it's that cheap now it'll be worth **** all in 3 years time.

Have a look on www.honestjohn.co.uk

Very good descriptions of cars and all recalls etc....

I know what you mean about the residuals but to be honest any car i buy is gonna be worth nothign in 3 years when im putting stupid miles on it, particularly if its already 3 or 4 years old with about 50k on the clock(i.e a golf or A3 tdi for my money) - plus i dont think you can buy say a 2003 focus diesel for under 6 grand now even with about 90k on it, so it doesnt look too bad.

The bora, going for a drive in one on saturday, a 130 with nice leather so my opinion could be swayed if thats nice enough

The Bora's a good car, one of the boys i work with has got a 150 bhp diesel one and he loves it. His wife's got a 150bhp golf GTI MK4 turbo and he prefers the diesel Bora.

Let's face it, you're gonna loose money whatever you buy.

The focus is supposed to have class leading handling, the 1.8TDi engine is a little agricultural in the older models.

Yeah the old Tdi is a dog of a thing, bought one at an auction a couple of years ago and sold it the next week.

The newer 1.8tdci doesnt really appeal to me either, gives near as makes no difference the same power as the 1.6, costs more to tax and gives worse mpg.

My Dad has just taken delivery of a 2.0TDCi and it's a nice car; the interior is a huge step forward in terms of quality over the original, and the whole car feels spacious and solid. But to be honest I wasn't blown away by it.

And there's still the residuals. smitch is right - you will always lose money on cars, but the problem with Fords is that you'll lose more. My previous car was a fully-loaded ST170, and at full retail it would have cost £19k. Thanks to a family-related discount, plus a bit of haggling, I paid £14,800, and sold it a little over a year later for £11,000. So still not brilliant really.

rodenal said:
I know what you mean about the residuals but to be honest any car i buy is gonna be worth nothign in 3 years when im putting stupid miles on it, particularly if its already 3 or 4 years old with about 50k on the clock(i.e a golf or A3 tdi for my money) - plus i dont think you can buy say a 2003 focus diesel for under 6 grand now even with about 90k on it, so it doesnt look too bad.

The bora, going for a drive in one on saturday, a 130 with nice leather so my opinion could be swayed if thats nice enough

Right! C'mon Rod out with it..... How did you get on on Saturday?:search: You can tell us...We're all waiting on the edge of our chairs here:laugh: !

G'oan you can tell us, you were "Blown" by the Bora wer'nt ya!:yahoo: Absolutely Smitten and you just don't wanna confess;) .... Ok we can take it, but what have ya bought then?:think:

Havent bought anything lol, it was just a teaser test drive not buyin the car till march.

Bora was very nice and very comfy and a good bit of shove - hard to tell how it handled on a test drive without scaring the boy but i dont suppose thats the point.

Focus seats werent great, but it drives nicely and feels much nimbler than the bora, im told the seats are different in a sport, was an lx i drove. Engine was a little weak, slow town driving but enough of a kick at 60-85ish. Didnt like the plastics, but i suppose anything that isnt an audi wont be as nice inside. Would need it remapped i think, although 140bhp would probably be nice in that car.

And.....

I drove a 130 Tdi A3 and i really liked it lol - this was a particularly fast one, a good bit quicker than the bora(which was also quick). But i dont think i could deal with having whats basically the same car for another 3 years.

Other alternatives now appearing are:

Alfa 147 (worried it might break down) 1.9 Jtd

Fabia Vrs(still really want a drive)

Octavia 1.9tdi(think id look like a taxi/old man)

Volvo V40(dont laugh there's some nice ones in my price range)

New astra diesel coupe - on some buyback scheme that i dont think id go for, but it is a very nice motor.

Leon tdi(cant seem to find any 130's tho, how strange)

Discuss.

Lol

Ditch the Alfa Dude nothing but trouble and a Gas Guzzlin' Monster...Even in TDi Form...

Skoda have come along way since the heated windscreen jokes and are very reliable.. I would go for the Superb though and not the Octavia, a lot more trim and better built...

And the Volvo? Well, suffice to say I'll never buy another Volvo even if they were the only manufacturer left on the planet, I'd take a horse and cart First.. after being told to take an engine mount and shove it up my Khyber by a service department, after complaint to the service manager I was told the same but with more force...and when I went to Volvo UK, I was told " We support the dealer comments and politely tell you to do the same!" So I don't care how safe they are, how reliable, well built etc I just will not give them the satisfaction...

But those are just one mans opinions...(Mine)

HTH:beerchug:

Well, ive been offered £3,200 for my car against a 9 grand 52 A3 tdi 130 with 40,00 miles so i think im gonna go with that. Going to the guy with the Bora to see what he'll offer, but it looks like ill be gettin another, slightly newer a3 after all