Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Ok so I bought an impact wrench a few days ago, details are as follows:

Ingersoll Rand 2530KE Cordless 1/2" impact wrench
Max torque of 350 Ft-lbs / 475 Nm.
Speed 0-1,650 RPM

Impact.jpg

http://www.irtools.com/IS/product.asp-en-2868

Right now the reason I need help is because I tried it out yesterday on my S3 and it wouldn't take the bolts out. Now I never bought a Deep impact socket for wheels, I just have some 1/2" bolts lying about that are the same size of the bolts on my wheels, but the wrench would just cycle through (as if the bolts too strong). So what I wanna ask is is 350ft-lbs enough to take out bolts? and do I need a specific wheel socket set or something? not sure if this makes too much sense but I'd appreciate any help :sadlike:

A lot of tyree fitting companies use these now to undo/do up wheel bolts (and then torque them up), so I'd expect it to be up to the job.

Daft question but was the battery fully charged?? The tyre fitters my company uses has them. The fitter presses the trigger, the wrench winds up internlly before releasing inside to 'crack' the nut/bolt. It some times takes 2 or 3 goes to get the bolt loose, but has always worked.

The one Iv'e seen used winds up internally (gaining inertia I presume) and then there is a sharp crack noise as (what I presume) is the gearbox engaging and turning the socket and in turn undoing the bolt.

It isn't like a corless screwdriver where the socket turns the minute you press the trigger. I assume there is a centrifugal switch mechanism inside that engages at certain rpm.

Hope that makes sense!!!

The first thing i would ask is how tight are the bolts ........have you tried takening one off to see how tight they are with bar?..as could of been put on with windy gun at tyre fitters

I have a cheap halfords one of those drill things that you use from cigarette lighter socket, didnt work at first so took the wheels off and copper sliped the nuts and now have no probs

I used to be a car mechanic and I had a compressed air impact wrench, it never wound up, just went bang bang bang as it went round and as each bang happened it shocks the nut up tighter.

Wheel nuts should be nowhere near 350 foot pounds, a cylinder head normally only goes to about 160!

A4Quattro said:
I used to be a car mechanic and I had a compressed air impact wrench, it never wound up, just went bang bang bang as it went round and as each bang happened it shocks the nut up tighter.

Wheel nuts should be nowhere near 350 foot pounds, a cylinder head normally only goes to about 160!

Thanks for the help, just wanted to ask does it also go bang bang bang sometimes when taking out the wheelnuts?

same in either direction, but it will impact until the nut is loose enough to just spin undone.