Fitted kitchens

Howdens mate, without a doubt

I used to be a Joiner, got all my stuff from there, they provide MFI etc too

If you get an account with them you will get some really good discounts, upto 50%+ in some cases.

Lee

Ikea do excellent kitchen units (if you can be ***** to actually go there). Their carcasses & doors are far better designed than supposedly superior brands like Magnet & others & very reasonably priced. With most of them you can actually take it away with you on the day as well.

I'd agree with AndyMac, I have an ikea kitchen, I bought the carcasses and sink from them, I bought the worktops from International Decorative Surfaces and I bought the appliances from Biasco (they're excellent and are also one of our customers so I get on well with the owner)

The carcasses themselves are very good, but a lot of it depends on the assembly, with mine I made sure i glued all joints and put extra screws in. Another good tip is to run silicone sealant around the inside bottom of all base units to guard against the cabinet swelling if you spill something in there.

I fitted a Homebase one this time (made by Magnet).

2 years on, and not a single problem :)

My latest tiling :)............

Grouted1.jpg

I particularly like the door hinges from Ikea, they're just a friction fit, with a quick release for the doors themselves, very well designed. I fitted my sisters Magnet kitchen and couldn't believe how rubbish the design was compared to the much cheaper Ikea one I did for myself. Ikea get a lot of stick but it's more to do with the pain of dealing with them, their products are excellent for what they are.

The hinges you are taking about aren't made by ikea, they're Blum items, these are one of the best hinges you can buy for this sort of application. I used to fit kitchens with my dad for a few years when I was younger, he was a full time kitchen fitter.

I also installed the Blumotion dampers into my carcasses to stop the doors from slamming, but now you can get blum items to fit onto the hinge itself.

Without a doubt though, fitting the worktop is the most difficult thing to do, the mitre has to be perfect and well sealed to prevent the worktop from blowing, not a job for an inexperienced DIYer.

I always hide cooker panels in a cupboard, they look a bit ugly.

A4Quattro said:
I always hide cooker panels in a cupboard, they look a bit ugly.

You mean the white side panel?

Yeah, I had a spare maple panel left, the missus hmmm'd and haaa'd, and at about one in the morning while I was doing that bit, we decided to leave that bit white :)

Just dont go MFI! they took 12 months to install my kitchen, and its only 12 cabinets.

Customer service is the worst i have encountered anywhere. absolutely anywhere. If i knew what i knew now, i would have taken them to court.

Now, Now... that has to be an over exaggeration:sadlike: .... Nothing beats a good Indian....Call Centre/Service Centre ......:wacko:

Remember: "We don't have a United Kingdom/Great Britain... but I have a GB is that the same??":uhm: :sadlike:

I went to MFI for a quote. For what they quoted me for the units only, I got the units, slate floor tiles, french doors and even underfloor heating for the same price! All fitted by me apart from wiring the electrics (for legal reasons!)
I got my units, solid wood worktops, tap, sink and extractor hood all from Ikea. Was very happy with how it went together and would def recomend ;)

Dan Gliballs said:
You mean the white side panel?

Yeah, I had a spare maple panel left, the missus hmmm'd and haaa'd, and at about one in the morning while I was doing that bit, we decided to leave that bit white :)

No no, the switch that controls the cooker is the cooker panel, thats what its referred to!

A4Quattro said:
No no, the switch that controls the cooker is the cooker panel, thats what its referred to!

Ahh gotcha ;)

I just left it there and leave the toaster plugged into it.