What is the best mobile phone on the market at the moment?

Donald_MacIver

Reaction score
My contract is coming up for renewal at the end of the month, and i am currently with Vodafone. I know the type of tariff that suits me best, but i have lost touch with the mobile phone market lately with so many new models available. I currently have a Nokia 6680, which was a top end phone with loads of features when i got the contract 18 months ago. I quite like the Nokia models, and i have had some Samsung models before with no luck, always breaking down! My brother had a nightmare with his Motorola phone, so i am slightly put off Motorola too. I quite like the look of some of the new Sony Ericson models, but i don't know much about them. Any recommendations, especially in the Nokia range? :yes:

Nokia 6310i - still available on ebay. All others gimmicky chavvy shyte.

Theres an ericsson w880i coming out pretty soon that looks like it'll be a nice little phone, kinda different looking

The sony phones are the best phones i have ever used, used to have nokias but wouldnt touch one now, got a w810i and its pretty much perfect for what i need.

Donald_MacIver said:
Ha Ha! I think i would be going backwards from my current phone to a 6310i. Anyone got an N73 or an N80 or the new 8880 Scirocco edition?

Have had both of the Nseries you mention, both good phones once you flash the firmware to the latest version (v.simple) my missus has now got the N80 anf I have the N73, the only reason I gave her the N80 is because I was upgrading, which i do every six months.

rodenal said:
Theres an ericsson w880i coming out pretty soon that looks like it'll be a nice little phone, kinda different looking

The sony phones are the best phones i have ever used, used to have nokias but wouldnt touch one now, got a w810i and its pretty much perfect for what i need.

Have sony ericson sorted out their reliability issues now then, as the K750i which was the top of the line from them 18 months ago was plagued with problems.

Yeah, i had that very same k750i with the problems - had a new one sent out to me once they fixed the firmware, was pretty good after that.

My w810i has been absolutely fine, never had any software issues at all, other than it slows down a touch if you fill the mem card right up (mine is 2 gig mind you)

Friend also has the K800i and its a good phone, tho not really my thing is a little too big

rodenal said:

I second that - I think they are superb. I've got a K800i at the moment and it's top drawer imo. So easy to use and intuitive when compared to a Nokia or motorola.

I've just got the W850i and so far it's excellent. I went through a phase of getting the smallest and lightest phone possible, but was always dissapointed. The W850i isn't the smallest phone around, but it's not as big as the N series nokia's. It has a nice weight and feels good to hold(ooh er missus:haha: ). Features are excellent, and batt life seems good. Very happy with it overall, and best bit is that it's fully functional with my RNS-E bluetooth kit,

i currently have a sony ericcson k800i

ive always been a nokia man and this is my first sony e

and by far its the best phone i have ever owned

the camera is amazing, the phone quality is awesome and its very easy to use and to connect with the computor

holds lots of photos, music and video

i have another year of ownership at least of it and i couldnt care less as its class! (for a phone lol)

Donald_MacIver said:
Ha Ha! I think i would be going backwards from my current phone to a 6310i. Anyone got an N73 or an N80 or the new 8880 Scirocco edition?

i have the 8800 sirocco and it is the muts nuts, nice weight to it and packed full of nokia's features plus 2mp camera, bluetooth, wap...all the usual nokia stuff plus you get two batterys, a bluetooth headset and a wired headset and a desktop charger that will charge the phone and the xtra battery at the same time

i have had samsungs, sony-ericsson, siemens and motorola's but i always end up going back to the trusty nokia's, they just seem to be better software and very user friendly

This one:

I personally couldn't find a more compact model..............

The Nokia N73 and N80 are crap. My pals have got them and they have all had their phone replaced at least once.

I have the Sony Ericsson K800i never had a problem with it and the camera is excellent plays mp3s etc.

Not full of all the crap that Nokia pack there phones with that nobody uses.

I've just upgraded to the Sony Ericsson K810i, should get it delivered in the next couple of days! Previously I had a K750i (great phone, but joystick keeps sticking), luckily this new one hasn't got a joystick, so look forward to hopefully a trouble free phone

Beerzo said:
The Nokia N73 and N80 are crap. My pals have got them and they have all had their phone replaced at least once.

I have the Sony Ericsson K800i never had a problem with it and the camera is excellent plays mp3s etc.

Not full of all the crap that Nokia pack there phones with that nobody uses.

true - i had the n73 and it was replaced 3 times with the same fault

i have a brand new n73 sitting in my house unopened!

i then got the k800i and havent looked back since

The faults that have been described with the N73 are not a Nokia problem, its the firmware bundled on by the network. Since I flashed my firmware to the non-network Nokia firmware its been perfect.

N73 here, good enough for me, and it works as my satnav too, what more do i need?? LOL
I had the N70 before so a logical upgrade IMO

ive just finished my contract with voda cos they wanted £250 for an old style 8800 so ive gone to 02 and got it free you get all the bits with it desktop charger,spare battery etc etc, ive always liked these phones but the only time i would see one it would be on some tv program! phones 4 u are selling these for £700 (sim free) so im pretty pleased with it at the mo!

the new samsung D900 looks pretty smart but i dont no which i would go for comparing it with the sony K800i, the K800i is a bit on the big side so it would prob be the D900 me

Another vote for the k800i

The size put me off at first but its no bigger than phones from a few years ago, and the camera quality makes up for it.

Another vote for the K800i

I've always been a nokia man but moved accross to the K750 and then the K800.

2 of my friends have just picked up a K750i and they love it.

Bang and Olufsen Serene for me, does everything i need it to do plus looks and feels good, auto updates to my home phone system as well