What would you do?

Would you wait until the owner returns and confess or forget about it?

• Wail and confess

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Drive off/get on with shopping

Votes: 27 57.4%

• Total voters

Ed

Reaction score
Scenario:
Parallel parking into a fairly tight spot and you accidently skim the car infront with your front right end (the car you hit happens to be, say, a 2006 VW golf).
There is a hairline scratch on the golf's rear left bumper which could be touched up with some touch-up paint and a little effort.

No-one noticed and you could easilly pretend it didnt happen or drive off without knowing about it until *maybe* the owner of the golf notices a small scratch when detailing his car.

Would you wait until the owner returns and confess or forget about it?

Please note - there is not a 'I would have never had messed up a parallel park in the first place' poll option ;)

edit - I meant wait, not wail :sorry:

F--k me so far theres only two of us who would confess, although i have always vowed that if a car park next to mine and dented a wing on my car by opening there door i would etch a rude word in there door

Onlyme said:
F--k me so far theres only two of us who would confess, although i have always vowed that if a car park next to mine and dented a wing on my car by opening there door i would etch a rude word in there door

Are you my long lost brother, i said i'd wait too, but that was before i read the fine detail!

I've stare at people like the devil when they open their car doors next to mine if i'm in or near my car. My old car had to many knocks like that to count from inconsiderate toshers.

im quite prepared to end someones life in a crowded car park for opening a door into my car, ive had damage 3 times in the last year and ive had to pay for it. as far as im concerned its 5k of my money parked in that space and if someone hits it they've as good as robbed me! dont be afraid to rip them apart:weight_lift2: , and yes i would own up if i marked someones car, i'd probably leave a note.

I'd need to confess, I've had this happen to me in a car park before, the old guy didnt even realise he had pushed my door panel right in, he even denied it when he returned, even though his paint was on the door and his car was marked.

nightmare.

I'd definitely 'fess up, for two reasons
Firstly because I get very *very* annoyed when somebody does it to me and second because if I witnessed somebody hit somebody else's car I would have no compunction about leaving a note on the car that had been hit, offering to be a witness.

i would confess

i would only leave my number and if it was something minor and they were being a gimp about it id tell them to f off

at least my head would be clear lol

As you might imagine this was a true scenario. I accidently did it on Saturday.
I waited around until the owner returned and explained what had happened.
In retrospect I wish I hadn't done. Him and his missus were a**holes about it.
Now i'm gonna end up folking out for the damage (he'll probably charge for a full bumper respray :()

Shouldn't cost more than £150 for a good job, but they would more than likely turn up at a stealer for a quote, so expect a bill of £350, then start saving for that service your car needs. :(

The bloke I hit called me up tonight asking if I wanted to pay him for the repair or go through the insurers.
I asked him to go through the insurers.
Surely this is too long to wait? Over 3 months to make a claim?
Anyone know if he will be able to claim or not?

I'd take photos of the damage and the reg plate of the car and then leave a note explaining what had happened and that I'd be happy to come around and talk about a solution. I'd get chips-away to do the repair. Tell the guy that you'll get chips-away to do it for him, and if he's not happy with the repair, he can go through the insurance. Photo's always help though, that way a whole new bumper cannot be claimed for when ther was a small scratch.

id drive off and carry on if its a minor scratch. im nice hey lol. sum **** in a bimmer scraped my car at work my wing and lower bumper been grazed paint come off looks like a matt effect need to get a re-spray dun in summer.

Ed said:
The bloke I hit called me up tonight asking if I wanted to pay him for the repair or go through the insurers.
I asked him to go through the insurers.
Surely this is too long to wait? Over 3 months to make a claim?
Anyone know if he will be able to claim or not?

Yeah, if you've admitted blame he'll be able to claim. But, if you deny the whole thing and there's no evidence of your involvement........

I had a dent put in my door by a bint in a gym car park when the wind caught her door and slammed it into mine. I was sat in the car at the time, and showed her the damage, but the ditsy slapper didn't believe that the dent was from her door even when I showed her the exact point of her door touching mine lined up with the dent. I put a claim in against her, and the cow denied everything! My insurance said that unless I had a witness or cctv to prove it I was knackered.:nunu:

Funny thing is, she goes to the gym at the same time that I do everyday, and I know her car and reg. Quite coincidently, a big scratch has appeared in her door:tapedshut:

Ha ha what a coincidence.....

If the guys waited 3 months to make a claim he's obviously not too bothered about it.

Personally, i'd drive off.

Had it done to me enough times in my communal parking area, one day i'll sell my golf cabby thats languishing in my allocated underground parking space and it won't be an issue.

Got a damaged front n/s wing, door, bumper and alloy from the last time.
Not gonna bother getting it repaired cos it'll probably happen again.

As personalities go im the kind of guy that would be honest. But at the end of the day, the world is as it is and it happened to me before, owned up and 2 tiny scratches left me with a bill of £600 because the t**ts ended up being miserable coppers! also have had many scratches left on my car from people that havent owned up so id leave it and call it quits. its a vicious circle!

josh

Yeah I would probably leave it if its light damage.

Someone dented in all my front arch and never left a note.

Someone also must have bumped the front and cracked the clear coat on my bumper and the number plate.

someone has probably hit them and done and runner, now hes thinking hmmmmm how can i get this fixed????? i know there was that guy months ago who scratched my car, he'll never know ive been hit again! i would want to c photos from the insurance company before you admit liabilty to his latest bump.

I may be wrong here, but I'm sure I heard somewhere, that if your on private property, such as a car park, then if you have a accident, the insurance doesn't have to pay out, as it's not a hi-way.
By all mean correct me if I'm wrong