The Truth about HID Conversion kits

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
There is an article in this week's Auto Express that debunks the myths about the HID conversion kits a lot of you and others are fitting to your cars. They ARE illegal and although the chances of you getting caught are slim, that doesn't make it right though does it?!

Its on page 36-38 on issue 942, its not on their website as yet but if it appears i'll link it.

I paid the extra 800 quid to have Xenons fitted to my car, and although paying 200 quid for an aftermarket set seems to be a good deal, these kits are not suitable for road use and as shown in this AE article, will dazzle oncoming drivers. The reason for this is that the beam is a lot more intense and the halogen designed reflector cannot cope with it. The beam is more scattered.

So it may seem great from your point of view but ******** to every other road user? That seems a bit selfish, cheap and above all, dangerous.

Food for thought.

Seriously, I always wondered about that, why certain cars headlights were far brighter than others.. now you've debunked that one for me, Cheers Chris.:icon_thumright:

What the DfT says...
"IT is not acceptable to convert a headlamp approved for use with a halogen filament bulb to use a Xenon (HID) gas discharge bulb. The only acceptable way of converting is to replace the headlamp with one approved for gas discharge bulbs. Such headlamps will be approved to UNECE Regulation 98 and 'E' marked. If headlamps approved to UNECE Regulation 98 are retro-fitted, they must be self levelling (as part of the headlamp system, or via self-levelling suspension), and headlamp washers must be installed. Under the road traffic act 1988, it is an offence to fit or use parts which are not legal.

:rulez:

:ohmy: Being honest, i wont be removing mine, they are aimed correctly and do not dazzle, i also regularly clean the lights to prevent glare etc. I guess if i get "done" i will deal with it then tbh.

It is food for thought tho

A4Quattro said:
There is an article in this week's Auto Express that debunks the myths about the HID conversion kits a lot of you and others are fitting to your cars. They ARE illegal and although the chances of you getting caught are slim, that doesn't make it right though does it?!

Its on page 36-38 on issue 942, its not on their website as yet but if it appears i'll link it.

I paid the extra 800 quid to have Xenons fitted to my car, and although paying 200 quid for an aftermarket set seems to be a good deal, these kits are not suitable for road use and as shown in this AE article, will dazzle oncoming drivers. The reason for this is that the beam is a lot more intense and the halogen designed reflector cannot cope with it. The beam is more scattered.

So it may seem great from your point of view but ******** to every other road user? That seems a bit selfish, cheap and above all, dangerous.

Food for thought.

do i sense a small amount of envy that those of us that have retro-fitted the kits only paid a maximum of £200 but because you had them fitted as an factory option you had to fork out £800?

the headlight unit that is fitted to my car has the square cut out in the bottom of the unit for the factory fit hid ballast to be fitted thus the projector lens is the same design for halogen and hid set ups.

as far as headlight washers go, it is not uk law that these are fitted

1210tech said:
do i sense a small amount of envy that those of us that have retro-fitted the kits only paid a maximum of £200 but because you had them fitted as an factory option you had to fork out £800?

the headlight unit that is fitted to my car has the square cut out in the bottom of the unit for the factory fit hid ballast to be fitted thus the projector lens is the same design for halogen and hid set ups.

as far as headlight washers go, it is not uk law that these are fitted

I'm not envious at all, I can afford to spend the money I spent. My HID's are more efficient than your retro fit ones, they are dynamically self levelling and have washers.

I didn't know you were an expert on the law with regard to lighting regulations, do you work as a lawyer? have you any fact to back up your claim that its not law that washers are fitted? What about the self levelling?

As you are obviously an expert then you will know that if you have an accident in your car and the insurance assessor notices that you have changed your lamps then your insurance will be voided due to fitment of non-standard parts.
I'd rather pay the extra 600 quid and be 100% legal.

So to sum up, do you think Auto Express, Britains biggest car magazine would write a 3 page article on something if it were a lie....?:busted_cop:

A4Quattro said:
I'm not envious at all, I can afford to spend the money I spent. My HID's are more efficient than your retro fit ones, they are dynamically self levelling and have washers.

I didn't know you were an expert on the law with regard to lighting regulations, do you work as a lawyer? have you any fact to back up your claim that its not law that washers are fitted? What about the self levelling?

As you are obviously an expert then you will know that if you have an accident in your car and the insurance assessor notices that you have changed your lamps then your insurance will be voided due to fitment of non-standard parts.
I'd rather pay the extra 600 quid and be 100% legal.

So to sum up, do you think Auto Express, Britains biggest car magazine would write a 3 page article on something if it were a lie....?:busted_cop:

handbag.jpg

That really sets your eyes off you know, was it a present or did you buy it for yourself?!!

yea just had a look on audi parts list and the lenses are the same!

i for one do no give a flying **** and will be fitting HID's.

thanks and good night.

....but yes i will make sure they do not dazzel

I think there is an extra factor here...

If the standard headlights are 'projector' types, then they are likely to be the same for both HID and non-HID applications.

Fitting HIDs to the older non-projector types can and probably will screw up the beam pattern...but on modern projector lights, it's unlikely.

It certainly didn't on the back to back testing I've done on my projector Mk3 Golf aftermarket lights, Halogen vs HID.

Yeah I have them on my car and have not had anyone flashing at me thinking I have not dipped my lights.

I think most modern cars have cut offs on the top of the headlight to stop the beam pointing far too high or pointing too far to the right.

Yeah in projectors they're fine, they'll never fail an mot and ud have to really really rub a copper up the wrong way to get done for them.

I personally couldnt care less about the article, wont stop me, and ill get a set for about 80 quid on ebay, 800 quid, nahhhhh

A4Quattro said:

I'd like to address several points here.

First of all, are YOU a lawyer, do you KNOW the auto express item is fact? It probably isnt.
Being a member of the national union of journalists and the fact I work for the national tabloid press means I come into contact with ill researched information printed as fact every single day.

Unless they can quote the relevant paragraph in law, not as an advisory and also show that no other revisions or further paragraphs bring doubt upon that particular law, then I'd be dubious.

Regarding Insurance, my insurer covers my car for ANY modifications up to 250Bhp and ANY aesthetic changes. All I do is notify them I have done it.
One would assume or one would 'hope' that everyone else is sufficiently covered.

I have read that unless fitted at factory, lighting only needs to fit within defined output parameters, and nothing is mentioned of aftermarket fitting or washers/levellers.

Interesting though that the motoring press have started to pick up on the aftermarket HID installs.

A4Quattro said:
What the DfT says...
"IT is not acceptable to convert a headlamp approved for use with a halogen filament bulb to use a Xenon (HID) gas discharge bulb. The only acceptable way of converting is to replace the headlamp with one approved for gas discharge bulbs. Such headlamps will be approved to UNECE Regulation 98 and 'E' marked. If headlamps approved to UNECE Regulation 98 are retro-fitted, they must be self levelling (as part of the headlamp system, or via self-levelling suspension), and headlamp washers must be installed. Under the road traffic act 1988, it is an offence to fit or use parts which are not legal.

The Department for Transport's words, not mine.

The Dft can say whatever they like, for that is simply their INTERPRETATION of the law, not the actual law.

I did a lot of investigating into this for the Firearms act and the Police also make up their own definitions from the supplied acts of law.

I would reccommend anyone who is worried get hold of a copy of the relevant papers and investigate thoroughly, however I would not put ANY faith in something printed by a magazine unless there is case law to supoprt it.

I don't actually give two ***** wether people want to fit HID to their cars or not, i just thought i'd convey some information printed in a motoring magazine for people's information.

I have xenons on my car and they were fitted by heinz at Ingolstadt so I know they're legal. What everyone else does is their business.

it is an offence to have no water in your washer bottle aswell. :)

come on people, be nice, it's not a witch hunt.....but hey, lets fan the flames some more!!!

A4Quattro said:
What the DfT says...

the above paragraph states: "IT is not acceptable to convert a headlamp approved for use with a halogen filament bulb to use a Xenon (HID) gas discharge bulb. The only acceptable way of converting is to replace the headlamp with one approved for gas discharge bulbs."

this doesn't apply because the headlamp projector unit that is fitted to my car (and probably all B6 A4's) is the same unit that is used if the xenon's are factory fitted and as stated before it is NOT uk law that xenon lights need to have washers

Its also an offence to run out of fuel on a motorway

i'd consider that stupid, but does anybody know some1 who has been done for it? lol

I have fitted nine homebase using super bright halogen bulb max 3,500,000 candle power torches to the front of my car and have installed some Bose PA outdoor speakers so that when i travel i can switch the torches on and play the Close encounters Da, DA, da, DA, da, tune and laugh as cars busses lorries and cyclists are blinded and end up in a ditch :racer:

Ah but you missed the final finishing touch......needs a smoke machine and bright lights inside, so u can open the door and make an exit!

Dont leave the smoke machine on whilst driving tho, could get interesting

Onlyme said:
I have fitted nine homebase using super bright halogen bulb max 3,500,000 candle power torches to the front of my car and have installed some Bose PA outdoor speakers so that when i travel i can switch the torches on and play the Close encounters Da, DA, da, DA, da, tune and laugh as cars busses lorries and cyclists are blinded and end up in a ditch :racer:

I always thought you was from another planet....

..... Phone hoooooome :bye:

A3-frankie said:
it is an offence to have no water in your washer bottle aswell. :)

Funnily enough I know someone who was in the police and they used that to do a known drugs dealer when they stopped him one time and he was "clean"...:busted_cop: