Volks AutosChris Nott
    3rd Gear

Status

Blanking number plates in pics

I know we all do it, but what exactly is the reason for blanking out the number plate in pictures?

If it's to protect the identity of the owner, then surely we'd all be driving around with blank number plates in 'real life' too!

So... err... why?

2. # ADS
    ADS

dbm
    3rd Gear

Status

Re: Blanking number plates in pics

I guess it's because some people list all the modifications to their car on the site - so if you knew the reg as well then unscrupulous people could 'steal to order' a car with a known set of modifications.

Also, you might have a barney with someone on the boards (hard to believe I know [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) and if you knew their plate and came across them on the road, things might get heated.

Plus, the celebs always have their plates blanked in newspapers and such, and we like to think of ourselves in the same category right? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dan

3rd Gear

Status

The main reason is for cloning purposes. People who ring cars or wish to avoid speeding tickets/ parking fines etc.

They get a set of matching plates made and then when they go through the congestion charge zone, speed camera etc. you get the damn ticket!

However they don't just pick numbers at random, to amek it convincing they make sure that the plate is on the same make, model and colour as the car they are covering up. They tend to do this my just walking onto a dealer forecourt and looking for a car the same. however with the interent they can sit at home, type Audi A3 Turbo into a google image search and bang they have a number!

5th Gear

Status

Some probably dont want their insurance companies or dealer's knowing either [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]