What do I do now?

gtdog

Reaction score
Website
www.premierseaschool.co.uk
I am faced with a quandry.
With current motor (forget manufacturer for a moment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif) I have room for the two dogs in the boot, daughter on the back seat and wife and I in the front, ok not a problem for day to day trips.
What happens when we all want to go away together?
I have a roof box that will accomodate the Push Chair, folding travel cot, sterilising kit, Lavender Lamb floor mat, some soft toys and a few Changes of nappy.
Wifey and my clothing is squeezed into one bag and put on the back seat next to Elizabeth.
Now the problem.
We want more children.....
I refuse to buy a people moover, as they offend me enormously, all bar one 4x4 are too small, and I do not want a trailer for our luggage.
So is my only choice a Landrover 110 County Td5?
Any suggestions? (other than tie a knot in it?)
Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

If you're having another, you won't be going away together for awhile, so you've got a little time to mull it over.

Personally, I get rid of the dogs. I mean will 2+ kids not be enough for you to look after, without a couple of animals?

Why not make do with a tuned S4 Avant?

AL

Will none of you get serious for a moment??? I'd have thought by now the answer was obvious... An RS2 of course!
Just in budget, keeps you in the marque, and think of all the fun you'll have trying to drown out the noise of littl'un screaming in the back with the sound of the 5 pot on song Yeah Baby!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Regards
Dave M

[ QUOTE ]
28v6 said:
Will none of you get serious for a moment??? I'd have thought by now the answer was obvious... An RS2 of course!
Just in budget, keeps you in the marque, and think of all the fun you'll have trying to drown out the noise of littl'un screaming in the back with the sound of the 5 pot on song Yeah Baby!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Regards
Dave M

[/ QUOTE ]

its smaller than his current car...how is that the obvious answer!!!?

Th obvious answer would the a Porsche Cayenne!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif 450hp 4.5 V8 bi-turbo... 0-60 5.6seconds and a decent amount of space! Plus even with a full load, you will beat most things off the lights!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
acf8181 said:
its smaller than his current car...how is that the obvious answer!!!?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with Dave M on this. The RS2's got the Beemer on performance and smile factor. The kids will be enjoying the fantastic performance so much that they won't worry about being squashed in the back. And the dogs will need the optional extra RS2 "labrador sedatives" and won't mind being loaded in the boot with the luggage.

It's amazing how much kit you can get in an RS2 if you try!

... and the 110 Landy will soon cease production (I think) due to some recent European laws.

What about a 2nd hand X5, Toureg or decent Merc estate??? RS2's are great but are getting old now. I suppose it depends on what budget you have set.

Thanks for the replys,

[ QUOTE ]
nobby said:
How do you manage to squeeze your wife in the bag with your clothing doesn't she complain???

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif
She does, especialy on the way back!

I Did look at the S2 a while ago, see post on 328i purchase,
Allroad too expensive and too small.
Range Rover too small.
Same car as Tony Blair? Nooooooooooooo thank you!
Merc estates were discounted due to auto boxes, and again size.
It looks like a 110 county 12 seater /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Volvo T5 esate!! 2.3 Turbo engine, bags of room and loads of grunt, comes with all the toys and also a manual box. Not too pricy, u can get a bargain if u hunt around.
Get one in yellow if u can with the graphite colour wheels, they look great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
yes, i am being serious.

I did think about the T5, it is a firm fave of wifey, but alas the boot is not large enough to accomodate the two dogs, and all ouf the luggage for four people.
The landrover 110 has a 6ft long boot, which can be devided by a guard for the dogs, giving ample room for dogs and luggage.
Most estates simply do not have a deep enough boot with the seats up.
If Audi did a version of the old Pugot 7 seater I would be Laughing all the way to the dealer as 3 rows of seats and a boot would be Ideal!

GtDog,

It depends how far you want to go! For instance if you want to go to France for a family holiday it is going to take you forever to get there in a 110. You also pay more on ferries etc. because thety are so long, even the diesel aren't that cheap to run either, you never get better than about 22 mpg as i remember. also if comfort is a factor, forgot a 110 after 60 mintues it feels like you have been in a tank for the day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You also don't get much for your money. But if you are just going to use it to pole round Hampshire you will probably be fine

I would have a look at a Range rover 4.6 HSE with LPG installed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif, cheap as chips to run, takes all the kit plus dogs, still room for a bike rack and a roof box. It is quickish for a 3 tonne car (220bhp) and you get there is total comfort and luxury, plus it can tow boats, get hru the mud etc. etc.

The only option if you have to have a people carrier is a Grand Voyager, but it is still a MPV /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

The other option would be to buy a trailer for the BMW to take the luggage and we know how good those funny little silver trailers make a car look and handle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Also rember you can buy those dog cage things so you can have the dogs in 'half' of a large boot and the luggage piled up on the other side.

Happy hunting

Further to my last post there is one at Hayling Island, check out the link below

LPG Range Rover for Sale

Obviously it depends how much you want to sepnd but that is the cheapest one and you can go all the way up to spending around £20,000 on a good model.

I decided to get a decent one and then take it to a pro to have an LPG kit installed, all tucked away underneath and colour coded etc.

Thanks Moresauce,
To be honest that was my chief worry about the 110, allthough a few owners I know claim 28 mpg.
The biggest Pro regarding the 110 is that it still counts as a commercial vehicle, which means that if I purchase it in the company name then taxation is much less of a problem.

Also if I turn up in a Range Rover 4.6 the customers will think they are paying me too much!

I dont Know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[ QUOTE ]
gtdog said:
Also if I turn up in a Range Rover 4.6 the customers will think they are paying me too much!

[/ QUOTE ]

They do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

It looks like a 95-96 Toyota Surf 3.0 tdi manual.
Huge boot, A scream to drive, Easly chipped engine, Affordable, parts easy to obtain (and cheep).
and it doesnt scream Im trying to be butch like most of the 4X4s out there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For sale,
BMW 328i Touring, Mint, top spec, Full BMW service history etc etc etc