Road Pricing - does anyone actually enjoy driving?

god_thats_quick

Numptie of the highest order
Reaction score
Website
www.theregister.co.uk
Hi All,

It would be really good if a HUGE number of people signed the below petition before Feb, feel free to forward this on to everyone you know and maybe just maybe the government will take the hint.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

PS… before anyone asks, we already pay for every mile we drive by a nice easy system that doesn’t cost a forture to run, it’s called Fuel Duty.

PPS… we also pay road tax

PPPSSSSS… I also break the speed limit regularly (when it's safe to do so) and don’t want to be tracked by our government 100% of the time.

Edited to fix the link - oops

I agree completely. It would cost me a fortune just to drive to and from work if this went ahead.

Got me signed up! i really dont agree with that at all! You would have no privacy what so ever! always being watched!

Arrrrgghh... Me wants to sign in but it doesn't let me!! It keeps asking for an account or password of which I don't have:motz: :keule: :keule:

Signed!!!

they have cheek especially with road tax and fuel prices!!!:whip:

Think what this would do to the economy - an extra £28bn/year raised, how much of that by business. Do you think the supermarkets, retailers etc are just going to absorb that cost, or pass it onto the consumer? So we have to pay more to get our shopping, and then have to pay more for it too. So many whammys (?) it's untrue. If they want us off the roads we need a proper integrated public transport system (which is publicly run). Provate bus companies do not run routes for the benefit of the passengers ability to halp the environment, they do it based on if the route is profitable. A publicly run bus service is not there to make a profit, so the profitable routes subside the routes that make a loss, meaning more buses etc overall. And in order to beat the traffic you need a light railway system anyway (trams etc). Now how many cities can you think of with a truly integrated system? London and then what?

Rant over (for now)

Mike

Also consider all the continental Lorries that would in reality probably end up paying ****** all for using our roads, as the cost of chasing the outstanding bills abroad would be too much hassle. :banghead:

What about all the Polish and Lithuanian plated cars that seem to be flooding onto our roads at the moment??? How would these get billed exactly??? :banghead:

Just how much taxation does this ****** country think it can squeeze out of us exactly ***?!?!? :shutup2:

It is a joke and no way in hell would i be letting someone stick anything like that on my car ........there must be a law againist it human rights and all that

Anyone that doesn't sign up should get a beating.

I'd be screwed. I travel all over the country - by car - to customer sites. Why do I use car? Cos its reliable, I have my own space, I can get in and out of it without fear of getting mugged, I need to carry expensive IT equipment, and at all hours of day and night.

So what's the governments answer? Use public 'transport'. It might suit some, but for many in my line of work IT IS NOT AN OPTION. You thickasses.

I hadn't really thought about the whole speeding thing, which is another valid point as it would be a GPS system after all.

If this ever goes ahead we should make a stand, way beyond what was done at the fuel protests a few years ago - and bring the country to a standstill good and proper. Its about time the assholes in London found out just how hacked off us motorists are.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

And just to make this even funnier, if you'd like to see how easy your journey to work would be on public transport - have a look here:

www.transportdirect.info

My journey is about 17miles and takes around 20-30mins most days longer if I need to get to work for 9am.

1 Bus, Walk 1 09:26 11:03 1hour, 37 mins
2 Bus, Walk 2 09:56 11:36 1hour, 40 mins
3 Bus, Train, Walk 3 10:15 12:06 1hour, 51 mins
4 Bus, Train, Walk 3 10:26 12:36 2hours, 10 mins
5 Car 0 08:25 08:57 32 mins / 17.6miles

I don't do buses because I don't ****** fit, but I make that 5 times as long for my journey on the quickest method of public transport - **** OFF.

Hard luck, GTQ - you're already tracked everywhere you go - those cameras that register your numberplate as you go by...
The only saving grace is that they can't use the information they gather... at the moment!
Just think how scary it is if a central computer could track you everywhere - distance, speed, etc.
On the upside, it would make it a whole lot easier to catch people driving without tax/ins/MOT and stolen cars, but would signal the end of any kind of freedom to move around the country without Big Brother watching over you.

A few months ago I wrote to Stephen Ladyman and Chris Huhne suggesting they abolish the Road Fund license and just put the price on petrol - that way, nobody could avoid it (solves your foreign plate cars etc) and those who drive most pay most - simple.
Anyway, the answer was something like "we've thought about it but ain't gonna do it".

nivagh said:
A few months ago I wrote to Stephen Ladyman and Chris Huhne suggesting they abolish the Road Fund license and just put the price on petrol - that way, nobody could avoid it (solves your foreign plate cars etc) and those who drive most pay most - simple.
Anyway, the answer was something like "we've thought about it but ain't gonna do it".

I'll bet you they never thought about it - it sounds too much like common sense!!

nivagh said:
Hard luck, GTQ - you're already tracked everywhere you go - those cameras that register your numberplate as you go by...
The only saving grace is that they can't use the information they gather... at the moment!
Just think how scary it is if a central computer could track you everywhere - distance, speed, etc.
On the upside, it would make it a whole lot easier to catch people driving without tax/ins/MOT and stolen cars, but would signal the end of any kind of freedom to move around the country without Big Brother watching over you.

There is a serious difference between a tracking device you are told you must fit to your car and the APNR system or even all the CCTV put together! They already can track your plate centrally using APNR, but like I said that's not the same ball game as tracking me even when I'm driving on a country road at 2am.

I think anyone that doesn't sign this petition deserves a kick up the ****, they also deserve all this country gets - someone please offer me a job abroad.

PS... the police are even training for the "expected" civil unrest in the next 5 years.:keule: :wtf: