Any smokers? (fags not crack/ganja etc)

silver75

Big Ron
Reaction score
England smoke ban to start 1 July

[URL="http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42372000/jpg/_42372886_afp203_smoke.jpg"][/URL] The government says 600,000 people will quit as a result

Smoking in enclosed public places will be banned in England from 1 July next year, the government has announced.
The ban covers virtually all enclosed public places including offices, factories, pubs and bars, but not outdoors or in private homes.
It follows similar bans in the Irish Republic and Scotland - a ban in Wales starts on 2 April.
Ministers say it will protect everyone from passive smoking, but opponents say the total ban is "draconian".
From 1 July pubs and restaurants will have to display prominent "no smoking" signs around their premises.
Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt said the ban was a "huge step forward" which would save thousands of people's lives. The cost of implementing the ban has been estimated at about £50m.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6196910.stm

Bit hardcore methinks but there you go... if I go to a pub and people are smoking it doesnt bother me as its what you would expect in a pub no?:drag:

Would your lungs and arteries expect it as well then? Take Roy Castle a typical example of "Passive smoking"...

All to the good I say... especially if your unemployed, (Like me) if you can't afford it you can't have it no?

I am a smoker and it does not bother me that its banned in offices, factories and restuarants but I think a better solution in large pubs could have been implemented

A seperate smoking area where the smoke will not blow through to the non smoking area.
The actual bars where you buy drinks would also be in the non smoking areas only.
Encourage smokers to bring their own glasses back to the bar thus avoiding staff having to walk into a smokey area to collect glasses.

As said this could only work in large pubs but at least smokers could still enjoy a pint and a fag if they wanted.

:iagree:
Large pubs should have designated areas for smokers and people who dont mind the smoke imo

I've never smoked but when you go to pubs, bars and clubs you expect it.

It does **** me off in restaurants though, having a smoking area is a bit like having a ******* area in a swimming pool.

It should just be smoking or not then you can choose yourself.

Quite glad of smoking ban here as i hate coming home stinking of Fags when i have been out in the pub .........another thing i can not under stand is people that smoke in there house ..you wash your clothes then they stink of smoke........

I am a smoker, have tried to give up a few times and have come close, but just can't quite kick the habbit.
Hopefully this smoking ban will help me quit finally! So I'm all for it!

I really don't like it when people smoke in their houses, the whole place smells stale no matter how long you leave to air it out!

I was skeptical but the smoking ban has been great up here. It's really weird going into a smoky pub when I go back home now.

it seems to work well in dublin when i went over a few months ago - plus a lot of the "smoking areas" were outside the nightclub so you could actually hold a decent conversation instead of having to shout in your mates ear.

Several citys over here already have smoking bans inside places of buisness...

Its just a mater of time before it becomes a state law.

Then....before you know it...you'll only be alowed to smoke on your own property.

Also...nothing worse than being a non-smoker and leaving a bar smelling like an ash tray.

Justincredible said:
Also...nothing worse than being a non-smoker and leaving a bar smelling like an ash tray.

I'm not sure I believe you, surely the pic in your sig is you car smoking all the way up the strip?! :no: :racer: :laugh: