Speeding Points - Poll

How many points do you have on your license?

Votes: 156 68.4%
  • 1-3

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • 4-6

Votes: 15 6.6%
  • 7-9

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 10-12+

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Geordie Mike

Yeee-haw
Reaction score
OK, to elaborate on a theme, let's have a poll on how many points you have...

Got none now, but did have 3 for 72 in a 50...

I don't however I've had many close calls but never any post as a result - mainly mobile cameras that worry me tho be honest - evil ********.

I also had a worrying few weeks after driving along the M42 from the M40-M6 at what I'm pretty sure was anywhere upto 100mph wondering why all the other cars were sticking to the speed limit and I was going past them all - oops so I think it's safe to say most / all of the cameras were not working that day.

none as I got 3 points (doing 38 in a 30 on dual carriageway that used to be 40) and gave them to my mum. She wasn't too happy but I told her it'sd cost me more if I kept them. When she renewed her car insurance, she got a price. Then mentioned the points and her price came dowm by £10!!!

Everyone was a winner :)

I've got a clean licence... no points.. :yahoo:

You're just not trying hard enough. Do any of you actually drive anywhere in the UK?

ive been "done" for speeding 4 times now. but all have come off, ie all over 3 years old. so, im clean im clean!!!

clean as a whistle here (touch wood)

Currently 0, but
did have 3 points for doing 45 in a 30, caught by a mobile camera, when they first came out, didn't even know they were about!
Recently moved house, so when send license off for change address, they removed them off the license too! with no charge, so bonus there!

ive had so many close calls (including speeding up to get through an amber light without realising the five-oh we behind and looking up from pulling away from traffic lights in a 30 to see a mobile unit and looking in rear view mirror to see the Corrado's spoiler up (comes up at 45 :scared2: ))

im toughing all the wood i can find right now.. lol

None here, although it's mostly been good luck rather than better judgement.

I have to say, I'm disgusted with people that lie about their points or palm them off on someone else.

There are big boy's rules out on the road, if your going to misbehave at least have be a man enough to face up to the consequences of getting caught. :no:

I'm disgusted that people drink & drive and get away with it, or drive uninsured etc etc. Why on earth would you be disgusted about palming points onto someone else who wants to help you out?
I would suggest you wait until your licence/job/livelihood/home is under threat from the speeding obsession in this country that has nothing to do with road safety and then see if you still want to play by "big boys rules".

I suggest you grab a spoon and eat my rectum.

If you can't do the time don't do the crime. It's that simple.

No thanks you'd only enjoy it.

I don't believe the majority of people done for speeding actually decided to get in their car and go and do some speeding. It's not like breaking into someones house or mugging an old woman, so tired old cliches like "can't do the time, don't do the crime" and "take it like a man" really aren't that relevant.
Some drivers actually like to look up from their speedos occasionally in order to see where they're going.
The law has changed in the UK, you are now guilty unless you can prove your innocence when issued with a NIP, whereas before the current camera technology existed it was required by law for the motorist to be stopped at the time of the offence, whereby his/her identity could be checked out.
This major change has resulted in less traffic patrols on the roads and provided completely indiscriminate application of the law regardless of the time of day or conditions. So the uninsured HGV doing 60mph on the dual carriageway in the pouring rain is deemed safe and is ignored, whereas the motorist doing 70mph at 4am on an empty road is prosecuted. Likewise the motorbike can do what he likes as Truvelo camera's and speed traps can't pick up his number plate.
I'd say this is slightly unfair and hypocritical when it's all in the name of road safety. Who are the biggest victims on the roads - motorbikes, who cause all the major chaos on motorways - HGV's. These tactics have driven the motorist to exploit the only loophole, which is the proof of who was driving. I'd say it was a fair trade off. They get their money either way and keep more motorists on the road for future fleecing.
You can be as disgusted as you want, but personally I'm slightly more disgusted by rapists getting off on technicalities and paedophiles getting rehabilitated into the community, but each to their own.

I'm saying that if you're caught you’re caught. I'm not arguing about the rights and wrongs of speed traps or current flaws in the policing and justice systems. However, what I would ask is this; how is a rapist getting off on a technicality and someone side stepping points on their licence different?

Obviously there is almost a world of magnitude between the two, but they both show errors in the system and a lack of moral fibre in individuals.

A4Andy said:
I'm saying that if you're caught you’re caught. I'm not arguing about the rights and wrongs of speed traps or current flaws in the policing and justice systems. However, what I would ask is this; how is a rapist getting off on a technicality and someone side stepping points on their licence different?

Obviously there is almost a world of magnitude between the two, but they both show errors in the system and a lack of moral fibre in individuals.
I got 3 points - been driving for 6 years and first time got caught. Was doing 38 on a road that used to be 40mph. Was a sunday morning and no other traffic around. Had I kept them on my licence then my insurance would have gone up significantly. On my mum's name it went down for her (for some reason)

Still learnt my lesson though and wouldn't pass them to her again so why should I be penalised for the next 3 years over something that was barely an incident.

PS she would never have taken them had I done something silly or been excessively speeding in order to teach me a lesson :)

If you want to start relating it to other 'crimes' then lets look at murder. Sentence in mandatory life sentence, but there are different types of murderer. You have someone who goes out to kill someone else to a man who has been begged by his terminally ill wife to take her life due to the pain she is in. He doesn't know what the right decision is but gives in after weeks of her begging him.

Both murderers but entirely different circumstances.

Same with points - depends on circumstances whether someone needs them on their licence to remind them of the error of their ways

(sorry for going off on a tangent)

have been up to 9 but only got 3 left now. i find the a4, 2.8q ideal for getting a clean slate back, cause i cant afford to drive it fast @ 16-18mpg!!!!!!!!!!!

Wicked666 said:
none as I got 3 points (doing 38 in a 30 on dual carriageway that used to be 40) and gave them to my mum. She wasn't too happy but I told her it'sd cost me more if I kept them. When she renewed her car insurance, she got a price. Then mentioned the points and her price came dowm by £10!!!

Everyone was a winner :)

:wtf: I smell *****!

a4sline190 said:
:wtf: I smell *****!

seriously!! Couldn't believe it myself. She's 45 and been driving for over 20 years so maybe that had something to do with it?

I wouldn't make it up dude. I offered to pay the extra it would cost as would be less than it would've cost me.

She's with direct line if you guys wanna try it! Maybe they'd reviewed their prices when she phoned up saying that she had the points?

Think outside the box guys.

Why is it that if you add a more experienced person as a second driver then the price comes down?

I've got my mum on my insurance as a second driver (in case she needs to use the car) and my premium was reduced by £90 with Elephant. Try it online if you don't believe me. It may only work for younger drivers though.

(Bet you're going to say i should go for hell for doing that too)

i have just tried it2, i asked for quote with clean license and the thieving swines wanted £3 million squid, i then mentioned i have 6 points and they said i could have fully comp, protected no claims for £1.50, rock on tommy !

Wicked666 said:
She's with direct line if you guys wanna try it! Maybe they'd reviewed their prices when she phoned up saying that she had the points?

Think outside the box guys.

Why is it that if you add a more experienced person as a second driver then the price comes down?

I've got my mum on my insurance as a second driver (in case she needs to use the car) and my premium was reduced by £90 with Elephant. Try it online if you don't believe me. It may only work for younger drivers though.

(Bet you're going to say i should go for hell for doing that too)

There is a difference, yes adding an experienced driver can lower premuims, adding a dangerous driver which in effect is what a driver with points is = lower premiums = as i said before a complete load of ********! :no:

An experienced driver with points = dangerous driver. Get real people. Any experienced driver is likely to have points these days it bears no relation to how safe they are on the road. Pretty much all insurance companies will not hike their premiums just because you get an FP.
20 years ago you weren't allowed to hire a van if you had points, now they don't care, I hired one last year with 9 points on my licence. Don't you think this is bit wierd if points = dangerous driver.
If you get 6 points in one hit then they will hike the price, but definately not for a standard FP. The price obviously won't come down mid term, but wicked was talking about renewals, which should come down regardless of points each claim free year. If it doesn't then change insurance companies.
I can't believe so many people on here have fallen for the governments propaganda about speeding and road safety, is everyone really that naive?
It's just a marketing ploy to backup the safety camera campaign which raises over £120m a year for their coffers but has had no effect on serious accidents. It's not rocket science.

a4sline190 said:
There is a difference, yes adding an experienced driver can lower premuims, adding a dangerous driver which in effect is what a driver with points is = lower premiums = as i said before a complete load of ********! :no:

she's never driven my car for over 2 years but has saved me money. I can't see the rational behind it, much like you not being able to fathom that insurance companies can change prices on a daily basis. Much the same as banks - if they want more customers and can handle the risk, prices come down; if they have lost money recently then prices go up. Maybe they thought she'd go elsewhere if it went up and she's been with them forever.

Me, on the other hand. 24 y/o on a group 14 car - 3 points would've got my premium up around £80 or so.

You guys are so full of cr@p yourselves thinking you knjow everything there is to know about the world. You're making yourselves feel really big by holding onto the belief that I could not possibly be correct. Are you guys insurance underwriters?

Speeding in itself is not dangerous. Bad drivers are dangerous. A good example is doing 70mph on the outside lane of the motorway, in the rain right behind another car. Speeding? No. But still not recommended.

Onlyme said:
i have just tried it2, i asked for quote with clean license and the thieving swines wanted £3 million squid, i then mentioned i have 6 points and they said i could have fully comp, protected no claims for £1.50, rock on tommy !

only saved her £10 over a year - but go for it. Jump on the bandwagon.

"if i got caught speeding id take the points and they would teach me a lesson.."
I find 3 minutes on the naughty step does the trick, what are you like 6 years old? Grow up.

Got done for drink driving when i was 17. That was 13 years ago, didn't get points but i did get a year ban for my stupidity. :asskicking:

AndyMac said:
An experienced driver with points = dangerous driver. Get real people. Any experienced driver is likely to have points these days it bears no relation to how safe they are on the road. Pretty much all insurance companies will not hike their premiums just because you get an FP.
20 years ago you weren't allowed to hire a van if you had points, now they don't care, I hired one last year with 9 points on my licence. Don't you think this is bit wierd if points = dangerous driver.
If you get 6 points in one hit then they will hike the price, but definately not for a standard FP. The price obviously won't come down mid term, but wicked was talking about renewals, which should come down regardless of points each claim free year. If it doesn't then change insurance companies.
I can't believe so many people on here have fallen for the governments propaganda about speeding and road safety, is everyone really that naive?
It's just a marketing ploy to backup the safety camera campaign which raises over £120m a year for their coffers but has had no effect on serious accidents. It's not rocket science.

In the eyes of the insurance company anybody who has points has broken the law for whatever reason = higher risk, plain and simple. Think you are definatley biased in the other direction by your own admission 9 points on licence, would not want to be on a road anywhere near you. The comment I made was in relation to the premium coming down purely on the basis of mentioning points on licence no other factors, wicked may have been talking about renewals but the only theing he mentioned was points = discounts. If you believe that, it must be the reason why you have 9 points to bring your insurance premiums down. Think not. You must be one of the people that believe points = prizes.

As for falling for propoganda re speed/safety cameras, not I, dont think you are giving many people here credit for their intelligence, but I forgot you are the mighty AndyMAc and know best.