Speeding - when you get a summons

S3Si

Reaction score
Thought this may be useful as there have been a few speeding threads recently. Shows when you just get points or get called to court.

All in mph

Limit ---- Fixed Penalty --- Summons
20 ---------- 25 ------------ 35
30 ---------- 35 ------------ 50
40 ---------- 46 ------------ 66
50 ---------- 57 ------------ 76
60 ---------- 68 ------------ 86
70 ---------- 79 ------------ 96

You must have a lot of points on your licence..............:busted_cop:

I'm on first name terms with the judge :friends:

If only it were that simple. It varies wildly from county to county so don't take it as gospel but it's a good worst case indicator.
i.e. I got done doing 99mph on the M3 and managed 3 points
also was told the threshold was 85mph on M27 when I also got done doing 87.

Might be right though - the only time I ever got a blemish on my licence was when I was doing 47 in a 30mph zone (late at night in winter, exited a roundabout into a 30 limit). But the threshold is around 10% all the same.

I was told by a hofficer of the law enforcement pursuasion:busted_cop:, that the 20 MPH limit had not been through the law courts and as such is not actually a legal speed limit, which is handy, because 90% of the town and surrounding area where I live is 20! However, if this is true (why would he lie and never pull me up???), the speed limit here would still only be 30 as its built up.

So the only place where a lower speed limit would actually save lives and it's not enforceable? You really couldn't make it up if you wanted to.

Sorry to tell you the bad news, but 20mph speed limits are legal. When the first few went in, some were tried as an experiment and weren't to be enforced at the time, but now any 20s you see are legal, i'm afraid. Saying that, the guidance should mean that where 20s are installed, they should be self enforcing, i.e. there should be speed bumps or a twisty road where most people won't travel much more than 25, say.

But in reality, i doubt the Police will stop you unless your going over about 30 maybe.

Only relaying what I have been (recently) told! Either way, I can't say I have ever seen a speed trap of any kind in a 20 limit, and only a few drivers stick to it.

filipharvey said:
Only relaying what I have been (recently) told! Either way, I can't say I have ever seen a speed trap of any kind in a 20 limit, and only a few drivers stick to it.
I do :blush: , But then the ones i know are around schools, and the little darlings are nothing if not predicable.

Pepole can sit on my **** if they wish,:whip: as soon as the limit changes i will accelerate anyway,not my problem if they have no patience,:p :p