How long do you keep a car ?

Steve-L

Reaction score
I tend to keep my cars until I have paid the finance which is usually 3 years.

Until it dies or i get bored. No more than a year usually.

until it gets boring to drive and I can't afford to make it more exciting !

A long time usually...
6-7 years is not uncommon.

Unless circumstances change and I have the chance to go WAY better...if this wasn't the case I'd still have my S3, which I had 3 1/2 years when I sold it.
I've had my Golf GTI 5 years now...
I guess i'll be keeping the 911 at least that...

Usually until i get bored and fancy a change. I had the A3 a year and a half then i sold it and got the S3, when i first got it i said 'i'm going to keep this one for a while' but couldn't avoid temptation of an S3! Think i'll keep the S3 for a while yet... but i'm always looking!

last car was 9 years and if it hadnt needed a bit of body work I may still have it.

im only on my 4th main car, bought my first at 15 and im nearly 33 now

I always buy a car with the intention of keeping it for ages but at 6 months i always get a hankering for a new car. Of the 20 odd cars i have had i think the longest is about 14 months. My wife goes spare and i have lost a fortune in depreciation (£10k on two vectras in 11 months...****!).

One of the reasons i bought my S3 is because where else would i get a 210bhp four wheel drive sports car with heated electric leather, climate control that can carry the family in comfort and speed for anything less than silly money. The subjective bit is the quality of the product and that at 6 years old it is dead tight and drives superb.

I have been off sick for 2 weeks (pneumonia) and not driving i've been looking at cars on the net all day. Been thinking all sorts like sell the S3 get a 280 Capri for best and a Granada 2.8i ghia x for everyday. But one drive in the Audi and I remember why I bought it.

But i would like a Boxster.........

Normally keep mine about a year.I had intended to keep the A4 longer but i hardly use it as i drive the other car round town all week and the A4 at the weekend to see my daughter.So might get rid and get something less economical:eyebrows:

I think I will keep this car for a long time. Kept my last and first car for 2 years.

Had it 2.5 yrs and still really like it. I think instead of replacing it I will eventually buy a second car.

The longest I've kept a car is 7+ years. It was a Subaru SVX- then changed to a new Mercedes Coupe (diesel )...big mistake, kept it 7 mths and changed it for a new Porsche Boxster 2.7....kept it 16 mths (4k mls)and changed for a 2 yr old 911 C2.....kept it twelve mths and swapped it for my current Audi S4
I try not to think of how much I've lost in depreciation.
:uhm:

Until it falls apart, had my 2.8Q for 8 years now. It's worth nothing, owes me nothing, makes me money on the car allowance for work and cannot depreciate. Renewing cars when the finance is paid just seems mad to me, as you never actually own a car. Soon as it's actually yours, you get rid and are back into 3 years finance. Bit of a vicious circle. I can think of far better things to do with my disposable income.
God, I'm getting old, I sound like my dad....

I've only ever sold one of my cars - my polo which I owned for 2.5 years.
I will have owned my Ibiza 10 years in March, the Speedster 6 years in April and the S3 3 years in March.

The S3 will get the push if they bring out an RS3, otherwise I'll be keeping all three for the foreseeable.

My first car = A3 (laser red) Oct 1996. As it was one of the first ones in Swansea.. a lot of people were jealous! I had a lot of stick! People used to drive really close and passer-bys would spit on the car! (I didn't even know them!!)... after 3 years of putting up with jealous losers, I decided I had enough!, so I swopped it with my brother - he had a Vauxhall Astra 'J' reg whatever model it was at the time - I didn't care, I thought anything would be better than having to put up with tossers). So, I had that for a while, I can live with this - it took me to work and back, so it was fine!.. but my mother was not ok, she was worried incase the car broke down in the middle of nowhere etc. etc..

She phoned me up in work one day and said she's in Sinclairs Swansea and wants me to meet her there cos she's about to buy me a brand new A3..what colour did I want...

The rest is history.. I've had my baby since 1999, so I'm gonna keep this forever! even if I win the lotto, I'll still keep it :yes:

Like most that have answered, usually until I get bored. Had the A4 nearly 2.5 yrs and toying with the idea of getting rid.

It's either pay up and get a few bits & bobs sorted or chop her in for a newer (& quicker) model. Most probably be another Audi though, nowt else has really caught my attention.

usually til i get bored or see something nice. only popped to sainsburys 3mths ago, bought the 2.8 on the way back off a forecourt!!!

Average for me is about 18 months (run a couple of cars for a year, another two for two years). Have had the Sportback for just over two, but will probably be keeping it for at least another 12 months - with a young family it's too good right now!

Seems to be a lot of people getting bored rather quickly with their choices.
Aaahh the attention span of todays youth

Usually for 12 months, about to say goodbye to my trusty oil burner...

I'm keeping my A3 till it dies... I don't chop and change that often when I have made a choice... 85k miles and still as tight as a drum.

I have the same motorbike since 1993... Bought a ZX12, hated it and got my ZZR11 back...

I guess most peeps on here are far wealthier than me :(

I simply could not afford to change my car every year.

I have not kept any car i owned for longer than 1 year and 3 months. I tend to change my car every year, as i get bored quite easily, and i am always looking for a better car to improve on the last one. Having said that, i have a feeling i may be keeping my TDi for a while after just spending £570 on her for a service and MOT!

I've had an S3 for a year but it had to go after I lost my job (got made redundant) otherwise I would have kept it. I bought the A4 (b5) in 2002 which I plan to keep it until it dies. The S3 was a great car (quattro/haldex, performance, well equipped) but I love the A4 for its comfort and I still love it. Last year I've changed the bodykit and rims just to make it look a little more modern having got bored with the prevous set up.

Steve-L said:

Neither could I...

Also, it takes me at least 6 months to research what I want next, then there's the waiting list...so from deciding to delivery is usually a year or so.

My idea being that if I take long enough deciding, I'll get a car I'm happy with for a long time.

Steve-L said:

Steve, don't confuse wealth with access to credit.

Had this one for nearly 3 years, i have no intention of chopping her in, i tend to alter the car to suit my mood/needs
Hence the the engine swap that will happne as soon as i have collected all of the little odds and sods

My first car was a brand new Clio 1.2 (16v don't you know) that I waited for ages for because I wanted aircon (and the car was even broken before delivery). Then after about 12 months I really wanted a faster car but realised insurance / money was a problem. Had a good long think nearly bought a CTR then got offered what is now my S3 for a good price by a colleague. Realised I could give my clio back without any penalties so arranged a loan to by the S3 with the intention of keeping it for a VERY long time, but now after 3 years I find myself wanting more power and less weight / more danger.

So clio - 24months...
S3 - 35months + and no idea what to do next, current front runner is say oh **** it and buy the TVR I really want but I'm not sure that will be the best solution to aid me in getting to work everyday.

jdp1962 said:
Steve, don't confuse wealth with access to credit.

I agree, how many people actually fully own there car with no loans or finance.

Randomjim said:
I agree, how many people actually fully own there car with no loans or finance.

Who wants to own something that depriciates by the day????

Used to be the same about ten years ago but when i got a big mortgage car loans sort of paled into insignificance.