EM TuningVolks Autos
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Status
    "Who wants to own something that depriciates by the day????"
    As opposed to paying finance on something that depreciates by the hour!

I think you're missing the point, the biggest depreciation on a car is the moment you buy it, then another chunk in the first year or 2. If you've bought it on the normal 3 year finance deal, you've already swallowed the biggest chunk of depreciation. After 3 years it levels out a lot. I've owned my 2.8Q for 8 years and it's effectively stopped depreciating as it's probably only worth £2.5k.
    Don't get me wrong, keep swapping and changing everyone, you're creating more bargains for me to choose from next time round.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Turbo Sport

Status
    Mate works for a main vauxhall dealler , and see's 99% come in wanting to re-finace car after car , some peole are paying almost twice the value of the new car due to "keeping up with the jones"
    Its actualy got to the point hes doesnt even say anything when he sees they are going to pay far to much for a car(finance) cause when he told them, they just ignored him and only wanted to know when they can get there new car!
    I bought a convertable in the wettest country in the world who says Scotsmen dont have a sense of humour !

"Lets fire up the Quattro" DCI Gene hunt,,,,,,,ashes to ashes

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    It's because people want the newest, shiniest gadget around. They buy an iPod, then replace it a year later because there's a new model out and they can't bear the idea of not having the bestest newest thing. Remove the word "iPod" from that sentence and replace it with the word "car". At the end of it all, I can see some people re-financing car after car on three year deals, and after 25 years, they'll have spent as much as I have spent on my mortgage. Difference is, I'll own a house, they won't own a car.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Status
    I think very few people ever make money on cars.
    I certainly don't.

But if my house can make more money than my car loses...and my car can make me happy...what the hell.
    Of course, buying the right car in the first place, and keeping it a good few years minimises the losses, if that's a big concern.

For me, it's not...
    Being away from home 6 months of the year is my justification for having a car like I do...if I was onshore I couldn't afford it, or justify it...so it's a no brainer.
    Buy the perfect car...keep it a long time.
    Let the house make money...

What value do you put on enjoyment anyway?

Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

4th Gear

Status
    I usually keep mine for about 2 years but I do a fair few miles so it soon adds up...

S6 avant

Status
    i went to look at an s4 in yellow today, a w'reg so looks like im bored already!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962
    It's because people want the newest, shiniest gadget around. They buy an iPod, then replace it a year later because there's a new model out and they can't bear the idea of not having the bestest newest thing. Remove the word "iPod" from that sentence and replace it with the word "car". At the end of it all, I can see some people re-financing car after car on three year deals, and after 25 years, they'll have spent as much as I have spent on my mortgage. Difference is, I'll own a house, they won't own a car.
    Totally agree. Great if you can afford it but people who can really afford it tend to buy their cars for cash and aren't doubling the depreciation issue by using finance. When you hear people bleating about being in debt, or blaming finance companies for making it too easy to get credit then it wears a bit thin when you see how they've spent the money they haven't got. 25 year olds with a 30k credit card bill and nothing to show for it? Take some responsibility people.
    Best thing I ever did was get a Virgin One account (back when it still was Virgin). Getting a monthly statement on my mortgage really focusses the mind on how much finance really costs and where you can cut corners to minimise unnecessary expense.
    What price do you put on enjoyment? Well I couldn't enjoy any car knowing I was paying 600 a month on a 20k car that would be worth 8k after 3 years. Sad? Definately, just getting far too sensible in my old age but I will own 2 houses outright in 5 years time. Possibly then I'll be able to spoil myself with a flash motor.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac
    "Who wants to own something that depriciates by the day????"
    As opposed to paying finance on something that depreciates by the hour!

I think you're missing the point, the biggest depreciation on a car is the moment you buy it, then another chunk in the first year or 2. If you've bought it on the normal 3 year finance deal, you've already swallowed the biggest chunk of depreciation. After 3 years it levels out a lot. I've owned my 2.8Q for 8 years and it's effectively stopped depreciating as it's probably only worth 2.5k.
    Don't get me wrong, keep swapping and changing everyone, you're creating more bargains for me to choose from next time round.
    I'm a caravan dealer mate, and i sell finance.
    S4.

Status
    "I'm a caravan dealer mate, and i sell finance."

And ugly shyte that clogs up our roads, well done, double whammy. You must be very proud, .
    Add estate agent, traffic warden and sunday league ref and you'll have the whole set.

6th Gear

Status
    Totally agree with your comments Andy i have never bought a car on credit and never will!!......I think it is insane ....pay stupid APR......When you buy the car off the forecourt the minute have driven off it you have just lost 4K.........Same as insurance i pay it off in the one go or you can pay instalments and get charged 25% Apr for the pleasure.......
    Urq RR
    S2 Coupe...RS2 +
    S2 Avant (slipper wagon spec)
    A4 AVANT TDI

6th Gear

Status
    "I'm a caravan dealer mate, and i sell finance."

And ugly shyte that clogs up our roads, well done, double whammy. You must be very proud, .
    Add estate agent, traffic warden and sunday league ref and you'll have the whole set.
    Doesn't bother me, i work sundays when all the sad ****s that buy em are out raising your blood pressure by doing about 40 mph on the motor way.

You wanna lighten up pal, mind you, if you had a life you probably wouldn't be sitting at home on your PC on a Sunday morning would you??? That'd make me quite angry as well i spose....
    S4.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-head
    Totally agree with your comments Andy i have never bought a car on credit and never will!!......I think it is insane ....pay stupid APR......When you buy the car off the forecourt the minute have driven off it you have just lost 4K.........Same as insurance i pay it off in the one go or you can pay instalments and get charged 25% Apr for the pleasure.......
    Pays my mortgage.
    S4.

6th Gear

Status
    Fair enough someone has to do it i suppose
    Urq RR
    S2 Coupe...RS2 +
    S2 Avant (slipper wagon spec)
    A4 AVANT TDI

Status
    Ouch! Think I touched a nerve there.
    You better get back to work mate, there must be huge rush to buy caravans just before Xmas.

6th Gear

Status
    Ouch! Think I touched a nerve there.
    You better get back to work mate, there must be huge rush to buy caravans just before Xmas.
    Rushed off me feet.

Not........
    S4.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12