Opinions on a Volvo S60 T5 SE Please

necroeire

Reaction score
Taking this for a test drive on Saturday. I'm certain it won't be as economical as the 1.9TDi but what the hell. I'm also taking a 2.0T S60 for a drive too but I'm guessing the 2.3 Litres in the T5 will be much more fun.

T5-1.jpg

T5-2.jpg

T5-3.jpg

I'm also taking a Land Rover Freelander for a test (a practical drive to keep the Mrs happy) so I'll report back next week. In the mean time any options on the T5 please.

A mate of mine bought one and he was well impressed with the T5 lump (pushing about 260 brake as standard i believe). Having read reviews I was impressed but being a family man, the limited leg room in the back made me think twice.

Try Parkers and read a few of the owners reviews. -- Good luck

Ok I called into the garage in question on Saturday for a test drive of the S60 T5 SE. They took 15 minutes to get the car started "dead battery I was told" and handed me the keys. Smiling I told them I was interesed as I wanted something faster than the TDi. The sales guy was foaming at the mouth already with a potential sale in front of him.

I pulled out and went left and planted the foot to the floor. Nothing happened, just normal 1.6 litre accelletation. I was thinking WTF? The sales guy told me that the S60s suffer a lot if they are cold. For a Scandanavian car - I doubted he was telling the truth and began to wonder if there was something seriously wrong with the car.

Anyhow drove for about 20 minutes and tried my best to get some power out of it and to be honest it felt like a 1.6. Really terrible as I was expectin lots of wheel spin in 1st and 2nd and lot so fun from the 240bhp.

On the way back to the Garage we stopped at some lights and I noticed the revs were going from about 500 to 1500 on their own. I asked the sales guy to sort the car out so I can take it for another test ths week but he tells me that if they fix the car it will be part of the sale? Needless to say I told him to F**k off.

So after that all I can say is that the interior is well spec'd and the handling at 50mph is good and the cornering is good at very low speeds). The heated seats were comefortable and the ride was smooth. I'll call again this week to see if they have sorted it and I'll take it out for a proper test.

Wouldn't waste my time calling again, he knows your the customer therefore to get the deal he needs to "Look after YOU" If you wern't happy, then I'd walk, as he tried to bully you into buying the car, tells me that he's desperate for a sale before Xmas! You were right the first time to walk away, as going back next week will only waste your time and cause hassle on both parties.. as the car won't be fixed.. and some other Dummy will buy into his BS and take the car! (With problems to fix of course!!!)

Quaote: "I asked the sales guy to sort the car out so I can take it for another test ths week but he tells me that if they fix the car it will be part of the sale?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah right!!!!

What a loser of a sales man. He sure knows how to get customers. Anyhow I'm going looking a Scooby WRX on Saturday coming as I've found a new hobby. Testing used cars while the Mrs is shopping.

necroeire said:
What a loser of a sales man. He sure knows how to get customers. Anyhow I'm going looking a Scooby WRX on Saturday coming as I've found a new hobby. Testing used cars while the Mrs is shopping.

not saying this because i have a subaru but u will have loads of fun, certainly more than a volvo :haha:

Reminds me of a test drive I had on a Passat. They didn't want to let me have a test drive until i put down a deposit. And when I asked why, they said 'well If everyone wanted to drive it the car'd have loads of miles on the clock'. I told them I thought that was the general idea of being a car salesman. They had to turn the engine over for ages to get it to start (apparently because it was parked on an angle - a 2" kerb - I let that one pass). Then on the drive he told me to put my foot down as 'these tdis really fly'. So I did. And to be honest there was very little acceleration. He then asked me twice more to put my foot down, even though it was. So i changed down to second and promptly hit the rev-limiter.

So I get back and am suspicious about it being a 130 bhp. Sure enough the handbook says its a 100. Cue him telling me I'm wrong as 'it has a red d and i' badge. Then he phones the previous owner. Who, get this, tells me its a 100bhp. He phones back. Then promises to phone VW. They tell him you can tell by the red d and i. Grrrr.

So, what we have here is a 100bhp passat that needs a new MAF, 3 tyres, the undertray replacing, a cambelt service etc etc. Not a 130bhp Passat in 'Excellent Condition'...

And he was condescending to my girlfriend, who knows more about cars than most blokes...

Makes me alternately laugh and angry now.

Love these test drive tales!

In my first job in IT, we had a contract helping a big dealer group select a new sales system. Anyway, after a big sales process meeting with lots of disagreements, my boss suggested I leave early and do a mystery shop at their nearest branch to us to see what they really do.

So I turn up, and pretend I'm just after a decent family hatchback with absolutely no brand preference. The sales guy was helpful, and checked a printed stock list (after they'd insisted in the meeting that they always check the latest stock on a computer!), and found a Toyota Carina and a Citroen Xantia. Oh dear. We later found out they were the two oldest cars at the site (based on stock age) which he was obviously keen to palm off to me. Not good.

We walked out to look at them, and neither of them would open up properly thanks to totally dead batteries, let alone start. The guy apologised and that was that, but after I reported back to my boss - and after we had a hearty laugh about it - I later found out the salesman got a massive bollocking as a result. Great fun though!

necro, i have a volvo S60 2.0turbo se and wouldnt part with it.
it looks the same as the one in your pics, black, but with 18" alloys and black window tints aswell, and i think, and so alot of people tell me, it looks the business.the quality of the build is top class and the engine in mine seems bullet proof.
it drives superbly, comfort for cruising and then when you give it a poke it sounds like a plane taking off as it lets fly... always puts a smile on my face, and has never really let me down at the lights either.
its fully loaded and is as safe and sturdy as a tank.
ive thought a few times about selling it, but i really think id be hard put to find a better ride for the money i have. seriously.
dont be put off by the heap and the sales tw@t you seen. i strongly advise you try another. jeez, i bet the T5 kicks *** mate as mine is only the 2.0T and that is 190bhp and goes like the clappers.
i think this car looks smart in black although in other colours it looks poor.
ive been spoilt by owning this car, as to improve on it im going to have to spend alot of cash. it is a world apart from the A4 i owned prior to it...
if someone will tell me how to attach a pic i will ?
on the other hand, i like the performance of the scobbies, but imo, they look like a dewoo with a spoiler.
you can go with the scooby and have power, or go with the volvo and have luxury and power.
i can never understand why volvos have a bad stigma as a few mates groaned and laughed when i said i was buying a volvo, but when they seen this one they all soon shut up. all the bosses at work say the usual " we're paying you too much " as the car looks high class... to good for a hairy ***** heating engineer !!
have another try of another one.