AH FabricationsChris Nott

View Poll Results: How importance is rememberance day?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always make time to remember

36 70.59%
  • I sometimes remember

7 13.73%
  • I don't normally remember

4 7.84%
  • I don't care

4 7.84%

Thread: Poppy appeal

My BM is fixed!

Status

Poppy appeal

As you may be aware, rememberance day is on the 11th of this month, I'd just like to know how many people on here actually consider this to be of any importance, I know some people would say it seems like glorifying war, but I personally think its very important to remember those people who gave their lives so that we can enjoy the freedoms we do.

A lot of people in this country (i don't want to start harping on about the foreigners) don't appreciate what men gave so they could enjoy a life here.

I always make a point of buying a poppy, I have a car sticker which is on my car all year round, and i'd always stop to chat to the war veterans who collect, I have the utmost admiration for these guys, although most of them that are able bodied enough to collect didn't see much of the war, I think they all deserve respect and admiration from the rest of us.

Spend 5 minutes of your day to give these guys a little change and ask them what they did, a lot of them love telling their stories, and it shows you care.

If only a few of you find the time to do this, it may make some old guy's life that little bit more special.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status

difficult to comprehend what some actually experienced

I've got to say that remembrance day this year will hold a particular significance for me that regrettably it hasn't perhaps in previous years. A neighbour of mine, who had become a very good friend over the preceeding 15 months or so, died last December. He had just turned 93 and was a veteran of the second world war, having served in the Eighth Army in North Africa before being injured in Sicily. Like many who have experienced things that are beyond the comprehension of those of us who are fortunate enough to only learn about them second hand, he didn't often talk about what he had been through during the war. On one particular occasion, and after returning from the funeral of a fellow veteran, he did recount in amazing detail probably the most harrowing tale I have ever heard. It was only after this conversation that I was really able to appreciate why his experience during this time was the defining moment for how he would live the remainder of his life.

The real shame in this is that every year we become ever more distant from the lived experience of these events, as more and more surviving veterans die.

The answer to this poll will probably be a foregone conclusion for anybody that knows or knew someone who lived through this. I'd have to echo the sentiments of the post above.

1st Gear

Status
    We should all take the time to respect the huge efforts many of these people put in, even if its just in rememberence

I know its for all wars and losses and as time goes on there are less and less of them left but for me its those who experienced the second world war being only two generations ago that humbles me.

I am still now amazed that at my age my Grandparents had lived through 6 years of what is today still unimaginable horror and hardship, I don't care what anyone says I'm with you A4Quattro, five minutes of our time is nothing compared to what these people gave for us,

Personally they've earnt the right to bore me silly with tales of what they exprienced, and some of its even really funny

2012 Q3 S line S-Tronic 177 TDI
    2013 MINI GP

Previously B8 S4, 8P A3 3.2Q

6th Gear

Status
    I always observe the minutes silence whatever, wherever i am. You've got to respect these guys, can't imagine any of the 18 year olds nowadays getting off their playstations to answer the front door let alone going to fight a war knowing there's a strong possibility that you won't be coming back.

Hats off to em i say.
    S4.

28v6
    Quote Originally Posted by A4Quattro
    As you may be aware, rememberance day is on the 11th of this month, I'd just like to know how many people on here actually consider this to be of any importance, I know some people would say it seems like glorifying war, but I personally think its very important to remember those people who gave their lives so that we can enjoy the freedoms we do.

A lot of people in this country (i don't want to start harping on about the foreigners) don't appreciate what men gave so they could enjoy a life here.

I always make a point of buying a poppy, I have a car sticker which is on my car all year round, and i'd always stop to chat to the war veterans who collect, I have the utmost admiration for these guys, although most of them that are able bodied enough to collect didn't see much of the war, I think they all deserve respect and admiration from the rest of us.

Spend 5 minutes of your day to give these guys a little change and ask them what they did, a lot of them love telling their stories, and it shows you care.

If only a few of you find the time to do this, it may make some old guy's life that little bit more special.

Here, here ..well spoken that person!! Couldn't agree more...

My BM is fixed!

Status
    who voted i don't care ffs?
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

Turbo Sport

Status
    I always make time for the 2min silence,and give when ever i see the poppy collectors,
    Personaly i think EVERY secondary school should take each 1st year class to the war Museum,or get a veteran(s) in to the school to talk about it , i know the germans used to do(or still do im not 100%) a similar thing where every school had to visit a concintration camp to see wot past generations of germans have done ,with a view to never fighting a war ever again ,
    I bought a convertable in the wettest country in the world who says Scotsmen dont have a sense of humour !

"Lets fire up the Quattro" DCI Gene hunt,,,,,,,ashes to ashes

Administrator

Status
    yep, always remember to remember. Its my sisters birthday on the 11th too, but I think that the people that fought for this county should always be remembered because we'd all be speaking german otherwise.

I'll wear mine with pride

6th Gear
    Candy Tetris Champion, Mahjong Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Status
    I think you've said it all..
    "Swallow your pride occasionally, it's not fattening." - Frank Tyger
    "Avoid making irrevocable decisions while tired or hungry." - Robert Heinlein

Brum brum

Status
    Well said everyone. I always buy a poppy and make time to consider the sacrifice that so many people from all over the world who helped to keep Europe free over the first 45 years of last century.

When I'm at my parents I always visit the Durham Light Infantry chapel in Durham Cathedral where they have a book of remembrance for both world wars. No matter what day of the year, the page the book is open at is always full of names.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I always buy a poppy, then forget to wear it the next day when I change my shirt, then feel bad about not wearing one & buy another....and so on.

I also observe the two minutes silence at work. Where I work now, is always pretty good about observing it, but at my last place, it was just left to the individual. Two years ago, while I was sitting quietly, my guv'nor (whom I already detested) tried to engage me in conversation about some piece of cr@p & I just ignored him. He got angrier and angrier, so I pointed at my watch, but didn't speak. At the end of the two minutes, I told him he was a fcuking tosspot. Three weeks later, I resigned.

My dad had a very keen interest in the world wars of the 20th centruy. He grew up during the second, and had a father & uncle who had gone off together to fight in the first (his uncle was killed on the Somme). During the 1970s, he and I used to go touring the battle fields of northern France, visiting the cemeteries. I found it interesting, if a bit solemn, but for the most part, it was just the fun a kid has from spending cool time with his dad, especially when he was driving the Alfasud Ti at full chat trying to make the early ferry home.

I'm older now, and I am better able to understand what he was trying to show me. Also, contempories of mine have died in the Falklands, the Gulf and now Iraq.

We really must never forget.
    Last edited by jdp1962; 6th November 2006 at 21:59.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

5th Gear

Status
    I always remember, and not just on November 11th, but every time I look at, or go by a war memorial.......

I would imagine that those who made the ultimate sacrifice would look down at what has become of the Country they gave their lives for, and weep!
    In my personal opinion

Status
    Back in 1991, our school made a trip to Belgium and France to visit the war memorials, cemetries and battlegrounds of WWI and it was both moving and facinating at the same time.

Will always remember the Menin Gate in Ypres. It is a huge marble arch with the scribed names of 73,000 Allied soldiers with no known grave. And at every night at 8pm, the Last Post is played by local Fireman - something they've done since the 1920s (with the exception of German occupation during the Second World War).

Wear your Poppy with Pride!
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

3rd Gear

Status
    For the two people that have voted " I dont care " go down to your local book store IE Asda's and purchase Max Arthurs Last Post and just remember why you have your freedom.

My BM is fixed!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlyme
    For the two people that have voted " I dont care " go down to your local book store IE Asda's and purchase Max Arthurs Last Post and just remember why you have your freedom.
    i'll make you right... well said.
    Chris

See my images @

Counting the Tesco Club points

Status
    wear it with pride
    Audi RS6 Daytona GreyLoving all 455.7BHP of her

3rd Gear

Status
    To those of you that dont care sometimes remember or normally remember click the link and then come back and tell me that it doesnt matter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtl5kmWrFLg

Turbo Sport

Status
    Think it goes without saying 99% of people are proud of the armed forces and altho it pains me to quote him but i will
    "George galloway.......Lions lead by sheep"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only wish no more would be hurt
    I bought a convertable in the wettest country in the world who says Scotsmen dont have a sense of humour !

"Lets fire up the Quattro" DCI Gene hunt,,,,,,,ashes to ashes

3rd Gear

Status
    The Inquisitive Mind of a Child

Why are they selling poppies, mummy?
    Selling poppies in town today?
    The poppies, child, are flowers of love
    For the men who marched away.

But why have they chosen the poppy, mummy?
    Why not a beautiful rose?
    Because, my child. men fought and died
    In the field where poppies grow.

But why are the poppies so red, mummy?
    Why are the poppies so red?
    Red is the colour of blood, my child
    The blood that our soliders shed.

The heart of the poppy is black, mummy
    Why does it have to be black?
    Black, my child, is the symbol of grief
    For the men who never came back.

But why mummy. are you crying so?
    Your tears are giving you pain.
    My tears are my fears for you, my child.
    For, the world is ~ forgetting again.

~Anon~

My BM is fixed!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlyme
    To those of you that dont care sometimes remember or normally remember click the link and then come back and tell me that it doesnt matter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtl5kmWrFLg
    That video is very moving, just to think all those smiling guys and girls are now dead. Maybe the people who are disinterested in the rememberance day should think that its those people who keep us living in the manner to which we have become accustomed. Its easily taken for granted that men have died for what we expect....
    Chris

See my images @