Help!!!

Mcgough

Reaction score
BEEN RIPPED OFF HELP NEEDED

Went to pick my new audi up today, and girlfriends car was the trade in.

but found out its been a CAT C right off, we didnt know!!!!!!!

its a 54 plate ford Sport ka and in mint condition- and has been repaired by a professional and i couldnt tell- even when i went and looked again today- obviously wasnt much!!!

we have owned it 8 months and we think the guy before us must have repaired it and not told us, police want nothing to do with it.

guy bought it 7 days after it had been written off, how do we find out if he repaired it and didnt tell us or the person before did and didnt tell him!!????

what do i do the cas was worth £5800 px now ive been offered £2k

did you not HPI it before you bought it ?
I heard somewhere that if the seller does not need to tell you that its been written off, or been registered as cat a, b, c, d, etc, but if you ask the question then he must answer.

How did you find out its a write off ?

I checked on direct gov website about the car its powered by DVLA website!!

I had the px price £5400 and the balance to pay £10k but he phoned today and said the car was a cat c and therefore worth £1800 but we found out sumone would have it for £2200- so im out off pocket 3k!

but shouldnt he have said??? when he sold it

original owner bought 12/05, its was CAT C 24/10/05 and he bought it 31/10/05

I bought it june 05.

dont know if he def bought it and done it up up he bought it in good faith same as me, but he only got it 7 days after the right off and the new plate on front of car is from same area he lives- which points the blame. as the original owner lives 100 miles away.

telling you would have been the decent thing to do. maybe you could take him to a small claims court.

I used to have a ka, cracking little car, shame about yours though.

Olly_K said:
did you not HPI it before you bought it ?
I heard somewhere that if the seller does not need to tell you that its been written off, or been registered as cat a, b, c, d, etc, but if you ask the question then he must answer.

Yep, buyers responsibilty unfortunately. It's down to you to do the checks, not for him to tell you.

It sucks.......:(

Dealer
The law is clear; you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act 1979. A car must be:
Of satisfactory quality, bearing in mind its age, what it cost and how it was described to you. It should be free from serious defects, other than those you were made aware of
As described. If the dealer says it's a 2.0-litre, and it's actually a 1.6-litre, you can reject the car and seek a refund or replacement
Fit for any reasonable purpose. The car should do all that you reasonably expect of it, including any specifics you state to the dealer. If you need a car for towing and the dealer says a 1-litre supermini will be fine, you can reject the car if it struggles
However, if you pay for the car to be inspected, the dealer is not responsible for any faults the inspection should have found. Always get a statement on the car's condition from the dealer.

If your car is faulty, you have six months from the date of purchase in which you can reject it. You can demand repair or a replacement, unless it would cause 'disproportionate' or 'cause significant inconvenience' to the seller.
Examples of this would be if a repair would be as effective as a replacement, or if a price reduction would be more appropriate for minor defects.

Dealers must now prove the vehicle was of satisfactory quality when it was sold. This means you no longer need to seek an independent inspection.

However, if you believe your car is faulty, you must stop using the car immediately, and contact the dealer directly. You need to follow this up in writing, providing evidence of the problems.

telling you would have been the decent thing to do. maybe you could take him to a small claims court.

that was the plan. if i can

I used to have a ka, cracking little car, shame about yours though.

yes its brilliant, only selling cause never get used!

and i did ask him if it had ever been crashed he said no!! i did a direct gov report and it came through as clear

do a HPI check on the car yourself and that will tell you for sure. Never heard of this direct gov thing

Mart said:
Dealer
The law is clear; you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act 1979. A car must be:
Of satisfactory quality, bearing in mind its age, what it cost and how it was described to you. It should be free from serious defects, other than those you were made aware of
As described. If the dealer says it's a 2.0-litre, and it's actually a 1.6-litre, you can reject the car and seek a refund or replacement
Fit for any reasonable purpose. The car should do all that you reasonably expect of it, including any specifics you state to the dealer. If you need a car for towing and the dealer says a 1-litre supermini will be fine, you can reject the car if it struggles
However, if you pay for the car to be inspected, the dealer is not responsible for any faults the inspection should have found. Always get a statement on the car's condition from the dealer.

If your car is faulty, you have six months from the date of purchase in which you can reject it. You can demand repair or a replacement, unless it would cause 'disproportionate' or 'cause significant inconvenience' to the seller.
Examples of this would be if a repair would be as effective as a replacement, or if a price reduction would be more appropriate for minor defects.

Dealers must now prove the vehicle was of satisfactory quality when it was sold. This means you no longer need to seek an independent inspection.

However, if you believe your car is faulty, you must stop using the car immediately, and contact the dealer directly. You need to follow this up in writing, providing evidence of the problems.

It's a Cat C, there's nothing wrong with the car. The problem is this wasn't realised until the dealer buying the car in HPI'd it which is what the buyer should have done in the first place

. A Cat c is still usable and not dangerous it's just not worth as much as a vehicle that has been subject to a write off status. It doesn't mean it's been involved in apile up, It could have just been vandalised to a degree that it was uneconomical to be repaired at main dealer prices. Which, let's face it isn't unrealistic with a car of that sort of value.

We do this every week when we buy vehicles, you have to, could have outstanding finance on it or anything. You can't assume that everyone out there is as honest as you are unfortunately.

looks like the law will be in my hands and he will pay one way or another