Texting

Steve-L

Reaction score
I have noticed recently that more and more people are using abbreviated text style words when posting on forums, admittedly I am a bit old fashioned when it comes to the written language and although I may not always get the spelling or grammar dead right I try to use the language as I was taught.
I can understand that people abbreviate whilst using a mobile as you do not have a full keyboard but not when posting on a forum via a PC.

I find that when I am typing its instinctive to type the whole word as it is spelt, i.e. "before", when writing this my brain works out the word is spelt - b e f o r e - and instructs my hands accordingly but do some peoples brains actually instictively spell the word B4

Yeah ive seen posts where its totally text speak, i understand what it says but cant understand why people would do it when there are all those keys in front of them!!!

Even when I send texts on my phone, I use the full Queen's English darling. Mind you, the predictive feature helps. Don't like the shortened crap!

It annoys the hell out of me. Warn them, then ban them is my view.

This is from another forum I use and it is enforced rigidly.

'Why we need to use proper language and spelling.

The following is not mine, it has been slightly altered to fit here, and it speaks to an issue near and dear to my heart which has been nagging me recently...

Since this is a troubleshooting site, the members endevour to impart knowledge to one another. In order to make a clear, unambiguous knowledge transfer a common medium, or protocol, is required. On these forums that medium is generally the following: English.

There are a smattering of other languages as well (not to leave anybody out) but that's the major one. Almost everybody speaks (or attempts) at least two languages and knows how to use a translator for those they don't directly speak themselves.

When a '313373 d00d' uses far too many abbreviations, cool misspellings or leet speak and slang it disrupts this flow of knowledge. Those people here, to whom English is a second language, often use a translator to be able to get a clear understanding of what's actually being said. Thus the fractured, mangled writing used by script kiddes does not translate and these people, our ---- bretheren, are unable to share in that exchange. This is very unfair.

It doesn't matter what base language is used, slang, misspellings and other k-kool and k-rad ways of expression in fact obfuscate the message.

This is why the rule exists and why, if you want to get along with people here, you will follow it. It is not because we are teaching English or are snobs, it's because of simple courtesy to a world-wide audience of highly intelligent volunteers.

Using K-Kool speech does not show how leet and wonderful you are, it instead shows your ignorance and total disregard for others who are using this site to exchange knowledge and ideas. This attitude will only get you isolated and eventually banned as no one will want to answer your questions or deal with bothering to get out their 'leet-boy' decoder rings to figure out what you said. We know what you said, you said:

"I'm an ignorant, selfish, boorish person with nothing useful to impart."

This is a community of intelligent people, if you want to be accepted and take part, then use proper language, spelling and grammar to impart as precise a message as possible. This will allow others to translate your meaning into other languages as easily as possible and to be able to take part in all discussions and enjoy ---- as it is meant to be enjoyed.

Your use of proper language, spelling and grammar shows your intelligence, respect and regard for the other members and makes ---- a more professional and easy to use resource.

I hope this helps to clarify the reasons the rule exists and why you should comply with it.'

things like wtf, lol, rofl etc are OK in my book, but things like gr8, m8, l8r is just plaing annoying !

Although I do use "l33t sp3ak" from time to time :)

Wot happens if your not ENGLISH?
do i need to go to night classes to learn the "queens english?"
*** you need to calm down its only a bit off bad grammer ,if that the worst that happens then the site is doing ok !

I can understand the first post, it's quite concerning, I have type letters at work and also abreviated words!
Ooopsy! :p

"text speak" is a pet hate of mine as well, my grammer and spelling is appalling but I still make the effort.

I don't even use the shrt hand version when I text, christ you can link more than one text if you need to use more than 160 characters!

Maybe we are just getting old...

Funny this, when I text I use txt speak as I cant be bothered to put the whole words in and part of the point of texting is that its quick... what bugs me thought is people using "net" speak in texts, stuff like "lol" etc. I cant even bring myself to write "lol" on a forum let alone in a text.

JOJO ewcuse u please but i am frm another country and i am wondering please wht the english is a mening on by ur name as i have asked all the village were i live and no 1 understands what " My gearbox is fecked! " means, i ask my papa & he a say " WTF do's thata meana boy " i say i c it b4 papa but i donna know whata the f--ka ita means.

are we there yet said:
JOJO ewcuse u please but i am frm another country and i am wondering please wht the english is a mening on by ur name as i have asked all the village were i live and no 1 understands what " My gearbox is fecked! " means, i ask my papa & he a say " WTF do's thata meana boy " i say i c it b4 papa but i donna know whata the f--ka ita means.

You are doing fine my son, you sound italian btw, am I right? :sos:

fallmonk said:
Wot happens if your not ENGLISH? do i need to go to night classes to learn the "queens english?"

Not at all old chap. Online translators are available to those who require them. One of the points made in my reply was that translators would have trouble with 'text' and 'l33t sp3ak', hence the need for the correct use of English. And I use the term 'English' to mean the widely distributed language originating in England that is currently the primary language of several countries. Not English as an ethnic group or nation primarily associated with England.

Another couple of points. 'What' is spelt w-h-a-t, not w-o-t. And it's the Queen's English, not 'queens english'. And anyway, you're mixing up the arguments around Received Pronunciation and correct grammar. Two totally different things.

And did you notice how I used another 'a' in grammar?

:)

LOL, 10/10 for spelling, and grammar. Well written !

Think everyone needs to get out a bit more cant believe this is a thread ...............:Flush:

Rev-head said:
Think everyone needs to get out a bit more cant believe this is a thread ...............:Flush:
I disagree - this kind of thing is important! At work recently I was asked to look over some CVs for a position we were trying to fill, and was utterly shocked at the standard of spelling and grammar - even though most of them were produced from a word processor and probably not spell-checked.

Needless to say, my line manager binned the ones that we couldn't read. So even when posting on to a forum, it's important that standards are kept! It could even help you one day.

ben thats just laziness though on there behalf, any one with a ounce of intelligence would use a spell checker for a CV, but on a web site i cannot see what the problem is.

are we there yet said:
That's just laziness though on their behalf. Anyone with a ounce of intelligence would use a spell checker for a CV but on a web site I cannot see what the problem is.

The problem is that it's a slippery slope. It's not really laziness, anyone can push a button however lazy they are. It's a drop in standards and an acceptance by some of those lower standards.

Since early 1990's the english language and behaviourism of lecturers/teachers have gone very casual, encouraging students/pupils to be more relaxed in the way they act and behave towards one another.

I was quite shocked to call my lecturer by her first name instead of Mrs Stokes!

I think the lecturers want to feel accepted by the younger generations, be 'hip' and 'fit in'.. From thereon mobile texting lingo was born!

I hate it. I try and type with good spelling and grammar, and I use full words on my phone. It's not really a hardship, but some people are obviously far "cooler" than me, I guess!

It takes me far longer to try to type in chav-speak, and it certainly takes me longer to read it afterwards.

So if anybody spots somebody on here using that mindless form of communication, DO please direct them to this thread ;)

Dan Gliballs said:
People who use text-speak in posts, fancy men.

Are you insinuating that gays cant spell!?

thats gayism that is! :no: :asskicking:

you gayist! :mad:

silver75 said:

CHAT87b.jpg

silver75 said:

And your response is TOTALLY sexist. Why should you automatically assume that anyone reading a car forum who fancies men MUST be gay?

Surely, it could in fact be a female? :moa:

silver75 said:

And your response is TOTALLY sexist. Why should you automatically assume that anyone reading a car forum who fancies men MUST be gay?

OutLore said:

Have you read your sig mate? I dont think your in a position to call ANYONE sexist

"why are girls in cowboy hats ALWAYS hot"

....bit of a generalisation of girls in cowboy hats no?
Not all girls in cowboy hats are hot some are cold and some are just warm.

They should all be treated as indiviuals and have just as many rights as men in cowboy hats (who are hot, cold and warm at various times) :hi:

Add me to the list of people who prefer not to use 'txt spk' (not even in SMS); and again, I also don't profess to purvey the elements of language flawlessly, but I'm fully aware it costs me nothing to try my best - and as I was stuck in school for so many years I might as well 'get my money's worth'.

I dislike the whole thing on two counts really:

1) I genuinely find it considerably trickier to read and write.

and

2) I agree very much with the rule quoted by rich1068 that it can come across as lazy, ignorant, indifferent/numb, disrespectful or a mix of any or all of those things.

It's a shame that something so complex, interesting and powerful (-and if we're really pushing our luck, beautiful) as language could become lost to 'everyman' and be replaced by something so basic. As a more terrifying extrapolation of this... How long will it be before Google replaces any trace of knowledge from the masses? I know I'm guilty of searching Google for things (note how I forced myself not to use that as a verb ;)) before even thinking about them sometimes already...

Regards,

Rob.

I'm with FactionOne and Rich1068 on this. With the best will in the world, lowered standards in one medium inevitably filter across into others. I am truly shocked by some of the letters that I get to see in my job that have been written by banks to their customers. If I had written them at school, I would not have passed my English Language O Level.

Ours is one of the richest languages in the world. It is a thing of beauty and infinite variety. Why debase it?

wow that was some reading!!
I can never understand txt talk and some abrevations LOL???
Lots Of LOve??? ( what have I let myself in for writteing that)

My spelling is bad but as long as the first and the last letters aqre correct the ones in the middle order shouldn't matter so they say!