How To Clean An Engine Bay

ardandy

Reaction score
Website
www.thecorrado.co.uk
Had a few people ask me how to do this so I thought I'd put up this 'how-to' I made for another forum.

Thought I'd make a how to on 'cleaning an engine bay', mainy for the VR engine but the same principle should apply. Let me know what you think.
What You'll need:
- 1 or 2 clean soft brushes, ideally a radiator brush.
- Engine Bay Cleaner
- A Hose Pipe Or Power Wash
- Autoglym Rubber & Vinyl Care (or other makers equivalent)
- Plastic Sandwich Bags And/Or Cling Film
- About An Hour
- Kitchen Roll
In these first 4 pics you can see the state of the engine and what I've covered up to stop getting wet. Notice the red arrows. I've used plastic sandwich bags and clingfilm to stop the components getting wet.
I've covered my alarm, the aircon fuses, the (help???) sensor around the air intake tube and the alternator, although you can't really see it in the pics. The MAF sensor is also covered.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Now get your engine degreaser, I used Autoglyms Degreaser, and spray it liberally all over the engine bay. Don't worry about getting it on your bodywork, it's friendly to paint, just hose it down later.

05.jpg

Now get a soft brush (a radiator brush is best) and agitate any muck or stubborn areas.

06.jpg

Now once you've done that, get a hose or power wash and GENTLY hose everything down, working from the bottom up. Don't use a power wash on a high setting, letting the water trickle out is enough.

07.jpg

Finally, once everythings hosed off, get rid of any standing water (like in the oil cap area) with the kitchen roll.
Now get your rubber/vinyl/back to black bottle and spray that all over too (I used Meguiars Interior NXT Cleaner). You can use a cloth or clean brush to work it in.

08.jpg

Now just let it dry and remove all the plastic bags or clingfilm.

08.jpg

Now stand back and admire your handy work! The first pic is after I cleaned the slam panel but before I cleaned the engine bay.
I generally leave it with the bonnet up for half an hour/an hour before driving off but I can't see why you couldn't straight away.
Thats It!

09.jpg

10.jpg

I notice you didn't Isolate/wrap the coilpack.. asking for trouble their matey as their very tempramental to water/dampness due to heat cracking - leads to misfiring... just a thought.. used to own one as did Olly K!