Need your advice

necroeire

Reaction score
Well as some of you may know my car is in the stealers for the last week getting three relays changed.

Now that service is a joke.

Anyhow previously in January I had to rent a car for 2 weeks while they tried to repair an immobiliser fault on my A3 and now it will be at least 10 -14 days to change 3 relays.:wtf:
I can no longer cope with living with an Audi.

Don't take me wrong, the car is great, I love the styling, the torque, quality, build, and so on but the service from the stealers is total ****. Anytime I ever had to call them their response was always the same "sorry but we can't fit you in for at least 3-4 weeks" no f*****g wonder when it takes them this ****** long to change a relay. Just as well I could change the bulbs myself.

Anyhow I'm after some advice on what alternatives to I could get for my 1.9TDi 130bhp A4 - it's a 2001 so I'll have approx €20,000 to spend. Passat is out as the Audi / VW is the same garage in my area. :sob:

The dark side is calling with a 320d but I'd appreciate your advice all the same. There are not many alternatives to the A4 TDi out there. I don't think I could downsize or even go for something like a mondeo so please help me in looking for an alternative.

Dave.

I take it Skoda is out on the same grounds too - VRs would be cheaper to make up for the petrol

Skoda dealer is different so hopefully their service is better. Actually they're a hell of a lot cheaper. I'll check around on them but there's still the old 'skoda' stigma though. Any other alternatives?

You can buy a Leon Cupra in diesel form, with the PD150 unit, should still be pretty quick and fuel efficient, not many about though...

Why not use an independant car garage? Surely some of your friends use a local garage and could recommend one.

I would not worry about using a main dealer on a older car and lots of small garages have computers like VAG.com now.

Will be cheaper to.

Or why not just take your Audi to the Skoda dealer?

Still VAG receipts, they've got all the same gear, and their labour rate is probably less too...

Regards,

Rob.

Hey guys - stupidly I never thought of that. Doooh....Must make a call to the Skoda and a few of the other local smal fries on Monday.

I had a look at this today - very nice car but strangely only had a tape deck and no aircon....

had a look at a 318i Touring and although it too looked nice it was also missing the aircon and again only had a tape deck.
Not big issues but hey - when a car costs this much then it should have all the extras. Thinking of going to see a few V40's and V70's too, they have high specs for a much lower price - but then again if I get lucky with the Skoda stealers then I'll more than likely keep the car.

Update - still no car.....I called yesterday about 10 times and finally got through to find out.....most of the service personnel took a days holiday.

Seems to be a bit of a money spinner to me. Getting real angry now though, thinking of seeking advice from my solicitor.

I wouldnt sell my audi because I dont like my local dealer, but if I did the beemer would be the next best thing

Ok got the car back late last night in working condition 12 days after dropping it off.
The wanted to charge me €850 approx for this amazing service.
Obviously I refused on the grounds that the delay in getting the parts were their fault and also the fact the parts were available in 2 other Audi garages and also in Vagparts.
Upshot was after a lengthy discussion with their service manager last night and his boss this morning they are going to half the cost to €400 as they will pay for the car rental and charge the labour to that of a polo. Good result but all in all a very dissapointing experience and an unnecessary wait on the getting the car repaired.

I will never use this garage ever again as they are complete rip off merchants - i.e. €800 to replace 3 relays and they have tarnished the brand IMO. I am currently calling around some other local garages to see if they have the necessary tools to service the A4 - which no doubt they will. Still thinking of changing to the 320d Touring but other than the garage I do love my car.