Any sparkies in the house?

beaker

Reaction score
If there are, can one of you tell me if the TV aerial socket carries a lot of voltage and/or current. I keep getting zapped when connecting my TV and I've never had that happen before.

I'm not an electrician, but the voltage (if any) is minimal.

You should not be getting a bolt from it.

Sounds like you have a stray connection somewhere.

Thats what I was thinking. Its not a massive shock but its not pleasant either. Maybe need to get someone to check it out.

That does not sound right....... stray wire up in the attic??.......booster related to maybe?

Beaker check out the meet section getting a wee get togther sorted out:beerchug:

Are you sure it's not just static? Touching it with your finger will earth it and thus discharge it, so if it is static, then once you've touched it, it should not give you another belt if you touch it again. Also ensure you turn the TV off & wait a few minutes before touching it. Older TV's do generate a large amount of static, which could be leaking through the screened braid of the aerial cable. But no, an aerial socket should not be carrying any voltage on the outer shielding.

Cheers Andy, i'll have another look at it.

Rev, i posted a reply into your meet thread.

if using a booster it is worth earthing at least one of the coaxial plugs, just the braiding, if not i would try earthing the aerial coax braid anyway that way if there is another fault it would trip thr rcd or mcb and you should be able to find the cause, just run a link wire from the earth pin in the plug to the coax if you want to avoid major work

The tv transformer could be leaking some voltage down to the chassis and as your tv is likely to be double insulated it is earthing through you and the aerial screen when you plug the aerial in, or as Andymac says it is static

Just checked one of our tv's out and when switched on it has 52 volts between the aerial outer screen and the earth at the socket outlet, it is a less than one year old Toshiba