EM TuningAH Fabrications
    Big Ron

Status

So has anyone felt any gains yet from V-Power??

0.2 ron more than Optimax anyone felt the vast improvement yet?

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Off tomorrow so i am off for a spin in the car and will see if i can feel an extra G with the 0.2 Ron
    Urq RR
    S2 Coupe...RS2 +
    S2 Avant (slipper wagon spec)
    A4 AVANT TDI

6th Gear

Status
    Tried it a few times, can't tell a difference TBH.

I know the Astra would like it.

Administrator

Status
    i've run it on a few tanks of the stuff, no real difference from opti. V power sounds better too

3rd Gear

Status
    lol! Yeah, it sounds faster!

A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line

Gone...and quite quickly forgotten

Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

Status
    Very slight mid range but nothing major from optimax. I think its the things it does that you dont feel that is the benefit for your car. Can deffo feel a difference from normal unleaded.

Beer God

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by silver75
    0.2 ron more than Optimax anyone felt the vast improvement yet?
    Live in Germany, used to use Optimax with my old 1.6 FSI A3, did make quite a bit of difference compared to regular stuff...think its 98 RON.
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

S3 Drift King!

Status
    I've tried some in my Golf GTI 16v mk2, cetainly feels more zippy at the top end.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Vroom Vroom

Status
    Not noticed any performance gains but down to 99p a litre at my local Shell - so I'm all for it too
    -------------------------

987 Boxster 2.7 (05) - Current
    A3 2.0T Quattro S-Line (55) - gone
    S3 Quattro (02) - gone

-------------------------

6th Gear

Status
    Lucky man i am looking at 1.06 were i am robbing feckers
    Urq RR
    S2 Coupe...RS2 +
    A4 AVANT TDI

Administrator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-head
    Lucky man i am looking at 1.06 were i am robbing feckers
    wtf its 96.6 where i am in hemel !

Four Wheel Drifting

Status
    I've been running Ultimate in my car for the last few months (old shell garage near me is now turning in to a hotel) but filled up with v power at the weekend and took a spirited drive up north. I noticed a difference in responsiveness and also thought my car felt better near the top end. 103.9 here in West London though!
    Unmolested Ming blue S3 (so it doesn't handle or stop very well), Bose, sunroof and centre armrest but no heated seats - Gone but not forgotten although I am enjoying the new 350CLK!

PSN - S3hawkster

1st Gear

Status
    Hard to know really when we changed to V-Power though isn't it as they started stocking at various garages over a few weeks. Then they'd be topping up the tanks with some Optimax still in there, same when you come to fill up the car. Only way to do a real comparison would be such a pain in the @rse you'd never bother.

At least it's only 101.9 in Chesterfield, down a whole penny from when Optimax branded.
    2001 S3|Ebony Black|Revo|MTM Clutch|RS4 Reps|Tarox Brakes
    '95 Corrado VR6|Classic Green|Koni/Eibach|Undergoing major rebuild!

5th Gear

Status
    I am still using Tesco's 99ron.... anyone got any comments / thoughts (not clean for engine etc.) and if I need to stop / flit between this and V.power....

Tone def... Where abouts in Chezzie is the V.Power.... ? I will keep and eye out for ya as I am also in Chezzie.
    Hop
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '97 A4TS, Aqua/Green.
    Remap: 210 bhp (154 kW). 228lb/ft @ 1 Bar. Bailey DV30.

Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

Status
    As far as i am lead to believe Supermarket fuel is not as refined as main brand petrolium dealers like BP and Shell. Tesco dont put money into developing cleaner more efficient fuels where as BP & Shell do and i would doubt they would just hand over the refined fuel to the likes of Tesco and that.
    My car deffo feels sluggish when i stick supermarket fuel in it compared to Optimax\V-Power\BP Ultimate. Not as much of a difference between the normal unleaded.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hop2407
    Tone def... Where abouts in Chezzie is the V.Power.... ? I will keep and eye out for ya as I am also in Chezzie.
    I live in Woodthorpe on the way out to J30, where are you?

V-Power from the Red House in Heath as it's the only Shell left near here unless I use the motorway services. I used the BP garage in town for a while when I was running the Corrado but it was better on Optimax so I just got into the habit of going there, which Tesco stocks 99, I've never tried it?

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly_K
    wtf its 96.6 where i am in hemel !
    That's because it's still sloshing around the streets of Bennetts End & Leverstock Green, LOL!
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tonedef
    I live in Woodthorpe on the way out to J30, where are you?

V-Power from the Red House in Heath as it's the only Shell left near here unless I use the motorway services. I used the BP garage in town for a while when I was running the Corrado but it was better on Optimax so I just got into the habit of going there, which Tesco stocks 99, I've never tried it?
    Aahhh Woodthorpe... ok.... I'm in the main town centre (well Just outside - Newbold)... and made many a trip to Red House.... as you say, only Shell left around here.

As for 99 ron - The main (big) Tesco on the roundabout on the Chesterfield bypass (toward Sheffield).....

Might see you around then....
    Hop
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '97 A4TS, Aqua/Green.
    Remap: 210 bhp (154 kW). 228lb/ft @ 1 Bar. Bailey DV30.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hop2407
    Aahhh Woodthorpe... ok.... I'm in the main town centre (well Just outside - Newbold)... and made many a trip to Red House.... as you say, only Shell left around here.

As for 99 ron - The main (big) Tesco on the roundabout on the Chesterfield bypass (toward Sheffield).....

Might see you around then....
    Hop, I'll look out for you, might even try some of that Tesco stuff in the Corrado see how that likes it first.

If you see a black S3 with black windows and RS4's it's probably me (or my wife) as there can't be all that many in Chezzie I guess

Yeee-haw
    Jason's Pong Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerzo
    As far as i am lead to believe Supermarket fuel is not as refined as main brand petrolium dealers like BP and Shell. Tesco dont put money into developing cleaner more efficient fuels where as BP & Shell do and i would doubt they would just hand over the refined fuel to the likes of Tesco and that.
    My car deffo feels sluggish when i stick supermarket fuel in it compared to Optimax\V-Power\BP Ultimate. Not as much of a difference between the normal unleaded.
    It's not the fuel itself that is the difference, it's in the additives. The RON is basically a measure of chemical energy and this stuff is all sold to the spec and doesn't miss it. The crude oil is fractioned in the distillation column into it's separate components, based on the number of carbon atoms in the hydrocarbon molecule (octane = 8). It's distilled, and the bigger molecules cracked into smaller ones but then goes off to either a) blending tanks to be mixed with the chemical additives (which is where the technology is) or b) shipped via pipeline/tanker to a distribution facility (like that Buncefield) where the chemicals are mixed up in tanks there. Then it's off into tankers to the forecourt.

All the money and research goes into the chemical additives, and I doubt that the supermarket have their own fuel research labs. They just buy/license the science off the BPs, Shells, ExxonMobils and sell it. Not all BP petrol comes from BP refineries - it's to save on logistics, e.g. we'll give you 1 million gallons from Scotland if you give us 1 million gallons in Southampton (though I'm sure there will be some haggling on price there). It's the same with supermarket washing powder - 1 million boxes a day can be packaged - do you think they have the time to change over what they are packaging?

Mike

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    I have given this fuel a good run thru on my NA 1.8 and can honestly say i have noticed a difference, the car feels smoother mid range and a tad more eager to pull, even the mrs noticed,lol

6th Gear

Status
    Mid range seems smoother still hitting 15MPG thou.....(town journeys and fast ones)..
    Urq RR
    S2 Coupe...RS2 +
    A4 AVANT TDI