snooper vs road angel

Depends what the device does.

If you plan on using it for detecting mobile cameras, then I wouldn't bother.
These laser detectors are not worth the money IMO.

If it holds a database of fixed cameras, then these are quite useful.

Speed camera detectors are a grey area. GPS-based ones are definately legal for the forseeable future.

Radar and Laser detectors and jammers are illegal. GPS based "safety" camera locators are legal, and probably always will be. As long as the camera's are being touted as "safety" devices rather than revenue collectors, the GPS locators will be legal.

Yep; as sort-of misinterpreted above, and put spot on in Joost's link; there are different queries relating to different devices and how they work...

1) Currently all detection/notification devices are legal
2) Currently only jammers are illegal - and this is only just - there is no direct offence relating to their use; but if caught they might try to stick you with perverting the course of justice, or other similar offence.

3) The devices most likely to be made illegal (if it happens) are those which employ detection technology - ie a device which looks for a RADAR wave or Laser beam - simply because these enable you to nail it past cameras which aren't active.

4) GPS-based units which notify you of ALL fixed/temporary/likely mobile cameras in their database, regardless of their activity are less likely to be banned, given that you don't know whether or not the particular camera is active, so you'll only hoof it past one if you paid £300 to ignore warnings.

Now, in terms of product selection:

Firstly, as mentioned briefly above, laser detectors are ornamental at best - this is because the reading given on the laser-type speed measurement device is instantaneous - ie as soon as the beam hits your car plod gets a reading, there is no 'bounce back' time for you to hit the brakes in; so unless you're not speeding a laser detector will only ever tell you that there's a NIP(ple) letter in the post.

The only way to combat a laser-based speed measurement device is to run a jammer, but see point 2 above. If you do decide to use one you're not alone, and your chances of being dragged over the coals for it can be reduced by picking the right jammer, but any of the 'stealth' systems they might employ still wont pass the mark one eyeball test.

So, if you want to be totally legal you're best off with a GPS-based detector which doesn't have laser-detection (not really much point paying extra for something that's essentially worthless).

Then the choice simply boils down to quality of database, and performance of the unit.

Of course you've mentioned Road Angel and Snooper - they're the only two I'd trust as their databases are both regularly updated and I'd say pretty damn comprehensive. In performance terms I'd lean towards a Road Angel type unit because from what I've seen their claim of "no false alerts" isn't quite right, but they are generally less panicky than their Snooper counterparts - but there's not a lot in it.

A nice touch which is present on most of the Snoopers, and more recent Road Angels is Speed-Limit Advisory notices (who knows, maybe Blackspot will pull their finger out and release their long-promised firmware update to make New Road Angel units do the same soon - I could waffle on even longer on that score but I'll save it unless someone asks) - Of course if you can watch for signs and road environment the advisory notices aren't a neccessity, so again, if it's going to break the bank I'd say that's a feature that could be crossed-off the list.

And finally, a little potential money-saving tip...

Blackspot took the decision a while ago to run a different subscription rate system for their Classic unit (ie the first Road Angel); instead of £49, £79 and £99 buying you 1, 2 or 3 years subscription respectively, they set it so they buy 1 year, 2 years and LIFETIME subscription. Add to that the fact the units are still available, and because production has been discontinued, VERY cheaply; and you have a rather economical way of getting a good quality database in your motor...

Not wishing to spam the forum with adverts for my employer (they are available for good prices elsewhere of course); but every now and then we put our Classic Road Angels on our Today Only special offers page - the last time that happened they were there for about £65 inc. VAT brand new... So, for £164 you can have the Road Angel database FOR LIFE!

The main things I'd say if someone asked me to describe the RA Classic would be:

1) It's GPS based with OPTIONAL Laser-detection (all ours include this in the price) - so if Laser-detection is made illegal (or you're not bothered about it), you just don't plug it in.

2) It's the same high-quality regularly-updated database that's used in all the other members of the RA family.

3) It's not quite as pretty as the later model units (but hey, is a pretty ABS housing and a blue-screen worth £££?)

4) It doesn't have the speed-limit advisory notices.

...I'd say considering those points on-balance, for £164 for the whole time you own it, if you're after an economical detection system you're getting pretty good value for money.

Anyway, things to think about, hope that helps...

Regards,

Rob.

PS> I'm going to be trying to push for the Road Angel Classic to appear on the offers page again very soon (my Dad and Uncle both want one), so if you're interested and either a) can't find one cheaply elsewhere, or b) would prefer to buy from a big firm and not fleabay - let me know on this thread and I'll post again with a heads-up for the forum members ;)

GPS based systems cannot and never will be made illegal as this would also mean the banning of all satnav systems.
Regarding the legality of laser jammers, it really makes me laugh that people who regularly speed i.e. break the law, are worried that a device fitted to the car may be illegal i.e. breaking the law. Talk about double standards. If you're so concerned about being a law abiding citizen then don't speed!
However if you actually live in the real world then fitting a jammer is the only 100% method of avoiding getting done by a mobile unit.
The whole premise of speed camera's and mobile traps is actually illegal in itself as the last time I looked the judicial system in this country required physical proof that you broke the law. Not just proof that your car broke the law and by default the registered keeper is guilty (unless he grasses up somebody else).

:think: I've also heard if you're willing to pay the money that there is a new laser jammer that does not through up the error that the old one does, they just won't get a reading full stop -which I thought was nice.

I'm seriously considering a laser jammer and origin B2 in the near future... and maybe rotating number plates :p

I thought the error was thrown up on laser guns deliberately as it is a common occurence so less obvious to the operator that you're jamming the reading. It also then takes valuable seconds to reset, by which time you can slow down turn the jammer off so the operator can get a legit reading.

OK Folks, no Classics back there yet; but just in case anyone's interested...

We've got the Road Angel Navigator (not the new 'Lite'/6000 model, the original daddy version) on our Today Only page today (would've posted earlier but there's a long yet-to-be-posted story about how the Police National Computer's inaccuracy ruined my day)... They'll be there until probably 11am/12 noon tomorrow (but I'd buy ASAP if you fancy it to avoid disappointment)...

Normally £349 inc. VAT; Cheapest on FleaBay seems to be around £320.

At the bottom of section (1) of THIS PAGE for £269.08 inc. VAT

I'll post again when the classics go back on...

Regards,

Rob.

I recently sold my Road Pilot Pro on Ebay, I was sick of spending the £50 each year to re subscribe, I think life time subscriptions are the way foward deffinately.
I have seen a new GPS based snooper out in a Chrome style housing, is this any good?

factionone quite intereseted in any good offers you may have? ;)

I have a second hand new road angel for sale if anyone wants it. It's not got a subscription on it though. But is boxed and in perfect working order.

J.