No more Optimax!!

ChriS3

hud at ye bam
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Just had the official annoucement through my work (here at Shell EPE) that next Wednesday is the official UK launch of V-Power - the Euro stuff that's replacing Optimax.

If you're in London, the launch event is on Belvedere Road, outside the Shell building. Felipe Mass, Loris Capirossi, and Troy Bayliss will be there, along with their cars/bikes and a bit of a demo.

And not before time too. Of course that's if it's gonna be the real stuff and not just Optimax re-branded?

A4Andy said:
I read that V-Power in the States was 99-100 RON.

Really? I've not seen any with that high an octane rating... regular is 87 octane - so although the gas here is cheaper, it's not necessarily better.. I think the highest rating at a standard pump at the moment is 93, with 91 available or it maybe 89 in the middle... I just use good old 87. Doesn't really make much difference apparently in small block V8s anyway....

Yep, good old yanks... They might waste petrol like it's going out of fashion but at least they water it down first!

Regards,

Rob.

V-max varies in RON rating depending upon the market. I'd suspect it will be exactly the same 98RON in the uk as Optimax was and it is just a rebranding exercise to bring the UK in line with the rest of Europe and Ireland.

OutLore said:
Really? I've not seen any with that high an octane rating... regular is 87 octane - so although the gas here is cheaper, it's not necessarily better.. I think the highest rating at a standard pump at the moment is 93, with 91 available or it maybe 89 in the middle... I just use good old 87. Doesn't really make much difference apparently in small block V8s anyway....

Yanks use something else like with knock numbers considered so 91 is equivelant to our 95, and 93 our 97. but true chuck anything into a v8 and it will run.

there was chat about v-max being 100+ not sure if thats purely rumours though not read any literature on it yet probably wont be in the midlands for another year anyway!

dummi said:
chuck anything into a v8 and it will run

Aye, petrol turbos tend to be more sensitive to octane ratings though.

I remember when they tested the Subaru Impreza UK300 on Optimax, then on normal unleaded,.....................24bhp difference!!! :faint:

i dont care what they call it as long as V-Power has the same or better RON rating and doesnt cost me more than it currently does (99.9p/litre i think it was)

Yeah fingers crossed eh...

Optimax has been 101.9 everywhere round here for the past couple or three weeks at least; last night was the first time I've spotted it lower (99.9 (at the one near Deepdale Retail Park for anyone in the area)).

I mentioned V-Power to them there actually, the chap just gave me a puzzled face.

Regards,

Rob.

I reckon it will be at least 99 ron and abouts 1.05 a litre!

Not sure if Europe does the same thing, but there are Ethanol additives added to gas here to increase the performance of fuels. Apparently within 20 years or so, ethanol powered vehicles will be "the thing", as it is a renewable source of energy. I think I heard that ford will be producing a general market Ethanol powered truck as early as later this year or next year.

Although you wouldn't think so by media coverage, most US citizens are pretty concerned about economy, probably because gas prices have doubled in less than 2 years, but it can only be a good thing.

Bit of a thread hijack here but its along the same lines, The post above me (outlore) has a sig with the spec of his car in it, and i was just looking at it when I saw the cc of his motor's engine then the power output, I think the americans don't seem to tune their vehicles engines up much if it takes 8300cc to produce what we in the UK can get from a 2000cc?

Or to put it another way, the veyron has an 8 litre engine and produces twice the HP of that Dodge...

Come on you guys over there, use your fuel more efficently...!
(we were that inefficent when we had steam engines and lots of coal)

Nothing personal BTW

A4Quattro said:
Bit of a thread hijack here but its along the same lines, The post above me (outlore) has a sig with the spec of his car in it, and i was just looking at it when I saw the cc of his motor's engine then the power output, I think the americans don't seem to tune their vehicles engines up much if it takes 8300cc to produce what we in the UK can get from a 2000cc?

Or to put it another way, the veyron has an 8 litre engine and produces twice the HP of that Dodge...

Come on you guys over there, use your fuel more efficently...!
(we were that inefficent when we had steam engines and lots of coal)

Nothing personal BTW

Yeah, but the thing you have to remember is that V8's or V10s power/cc ratio will almost always lose out to smaller engines. However, the torque generated is incredible. You have to bear in mind, the truck in my sig is primarily designed to tug up to 4 tons along with it, add trailer weight to it and you are looking at 6 tons plus. I agree that most (including me) do not need such capabilities, but the fact is that it is a pickup truck, and that is what it is designed to do. Could a 2000cc turbo engine do that? Could a Veyron? Nope, I doubt it. Could they do it, while seating 6 in comfort?

A recent truck test showed that the standard Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi powered truck (with 345bhp) was just 0.2 seconds slower to 60 when at it's max weight limit. (I think the figures were 8.5s/8.7s) This, is due to the incredible torque produced, meaning that the available power is used to maximum advantage.

On the other side too, the same truck took just 20yards or so longer to stop.

The comparison was a Japanese "new" style truck - which took 12seconds longer to get to 60 loaded, and something ridiculous to stop. The organisors stated in the test that while the truck was legally allowed to carry the weight they placed on it, it was clearly not safe to do so.

So, I guess it's horses for courses (ha) so to speak!

It's just a different name for the same product surely? Why call it V-Power everywhere except here? That just costs Shell money. It's the whole Snickers, Cif, Oil of Olay thing again.

And so I guess it'll be 98 RON as basically it's the same thing.

rich1068 said:
It's just a different name for the same product surely? Why call it V-Power everywhere except here? That just costs Shell money. It's the whole Snickers, Cif, Oil of Olay thing again.

And so I guess it'll be 98 RON as basically it's the same thing.
i think most people's beef is that shell will probably use this rebranding to V-Power as an excuse to ramp up the costs, "look its a new better fuel, look how we charge you more for it, mwhahaha!!"

OutLore said:
Yeah, but the thing you have to remember is that V8's or V10s power/cc ratio will almost always lose out to smaller engines. However, the torque generated is incredible. You have to bear in mind, the truck in my sig is primarily designed to tug up to 4 tons along with it, add trailer weight to it and you are looking at 6 tons plus. I agree that most (including me) do not need such capabilities, but the fact is that it is a pickup truck, and that is what it is designed to do. Could a 2000cc turbo engine do that? Could a Veyron? Nope, I doubt it. Could they do it, while seating 6 in comfort?

A recent truck test showed that the standard Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l Hemi powered truck (with 345bhp) was just 0.2 seconds slower to 60 when at it's max weight limit. (I think the figures were 8.5s/8.7s) This, is due to the incredible torque produced, meaning that the available power is used to maximum advantage.

On the other side too, the same truck took just 20yards or so longer to stop.

The comparison was a Japanese "new" style truck - which took 12seconds longer to get to 60 loaded, and something ridiculous to stop. The organisors stated in the test that while the truck was legally allowed to carry the weight they placed on it, it was clearly not safe to do so.

So, I guess it's horses for courses (ha) so to speak!

yes i still agree with that old american phrase that there is no replacement for displacement the combined torque and power from a v8 is incredible coming up from a 4 cylinder, the low numbers you see are purely because they are detuned for economy. in the same way you buy a turbo car if you were to be on boost all day with 700hp you'd probably only see 4mpg same applies to v8's, perhaps a 4 cylinder. power only basically comes down to how much fuel an engine can burn.

a better example would be a supercharged 4 cylinder instant torque and power but it would never reach the levels of a v8 while still giving dreadful fuel economy each time you had to visit the pumps.

ChriS3 said:
If you're in London, the launch event is on Belvedere Road, outside the Shell building. Felipe Mass, Loris Capirossi, and Troy Bayliss will be there, along with their cars/bikes and a bit of a demo.

The F1 car and bike was there this evening as I cycled past. May leave work early tomorrow and go for a nose around.

A friend of mine filled up with v power in Carlisle yesterday. Apparently optimax was 98.8 ron and v power is 99 ron on the dot. Bit of a con really and again, apparently, it's all about bringing the UK in to line with the rest of Europe. The funny thing is, it was 1p a litre cheaper that what he paid for optimax last week.

Hotscar said:
A friend of mine filled up with v power in Carlisle yesterday. Apparently optimax was 98.8 ron and v power is 99 ron on the dot. Bit of a con really and again, apparently, it's all about bringing the UK in to line with the rest of Europe. The funny thing is, it was 1p a litre cheaper that what he paid for optimax last week.

If it is cheaper that is a good thing for me because i think it is the same stuff with a different name of course as everyones is saying .....

I've just got my new 'V-Power Club' membership card (to replace my Optimax Plus points one).

The letter says '....99 octane fuel....[uses the] same Friction Modification Technology used by the 2006 Forumla One Ferrari team.'
Whatever that means :ermm:

The booklet has the usual cash in your points for goodies stuff - but also mentions things like Ferrari Factory Tours, Paddock club access at Grand Prixs and a Ferrari Pilota Day (260 Modena and/or 575 Maralleno) at Fiorana.

Bet they'll all be really cheap.... :scared2:

marshalld said:
The booklet has the usual cash in your points for goodies stuff - but also mentions things like Ferrari Factory Tours, Paddock club access at Grand Prixs and a Ferrari Pilota Day (260 Modena and/or 575 Maralleno) at Fiorana

No 3-pack of Bush video tapes then?

marshalld said:
I've just got my new 'V-Power Club' membership card (to replace my Optimax Plus points one).

Same here. It's arrival also coincided with the need for me to fill up with Shell's finest. Obviously all the Shell stations will have drained their tanks of that old fashioned, poor quality Optimax stuff and filled up with this amazing new fuel. Shell tankers must have been flying up and down the country over the last few days stocking up the service stations and dumping Optimax in a lay by just off the A1.

Dan,

I was sad to notice the lack of said tapes. I was saving up for them and only had 87,000 points to go.

On a more serious note...

Now I could be wrong (due to my unswerving brand loyalty) but now in the UK we have a range of fuels from 95 to 99 RON. Why? After driving all the way through France and back I only saw 95 and 98. Every service station offers both be it a supermarket brand like Carrefour, France's favourite Total or Shell (V-Power included :think: ). I assume other European countries offer the same. Look inside your fuel cap and the recommendation will be 95 or 98 depending. Car manufacturers seem to only deal in one or the other. Why do we get all these 97s, 99s or whatever?

rich1068 said:
Now I could be wrong (due to my unswerving brand loyalty) but now in the UK we have a range of fuels from 95 to 99 RON. Why? After driving all the way through France and back I only saw 95 and 98. Every service station offers both be it a supermarket brand like Carrefour, France's favourite Total or Shell (V-Power included :think: ). I assume other European countries offer the same. Look inside your fuel cap and the recommendation will be 95 or 98 depending. Car manufacturers seem to only deal in one or the other. Why do we get all these 97s, 99s or whatever?

So the manufacturers have another "reason" as to why they charge so much for their cars....;)

So who as all filled up on this as i am about to go out and get some.

The official line on the new stuff is that it's 99ron, and 1p a litre more than optimax. It's claimed to clean the valves even better and has Friction Modification Technology (FMT) to lube the top piston ring and cylinder wall, lessening energy losses and increasing power. V-Power will only be made at the Stanlow refinery, same as optimax.

I felt a bit of difference on the way home on the motorway. Is more repsonsive mid range. Seems to pull abit stronger but nothing big time.

But i will deffo continue to use it. Was funny when i went to eh garage there was a sign up saying "NO UNLEAD OR DIESEL. ONLY V-POWER SUPER UNLEADED". Must hav known i was coming. LOL :cool:

Well, I was getting quite intruiged about this; but all of a sudden I've had quite a change of mindset (probably prompted by scandalous prices), and I've been using 95 or supermarket-super; and to be honest the sewing machine in my lil' baby doesn't seem too bothered, so I might just give the whole lot a miss now...

One thing I can't help wondering though is how long is it going to be before Audi embark on a massive branding excercise with Shell for V-Power Diesel (just like in the R10 don't you know)? Surely it's got to follow? ...And then I suppose the next question is how long after that's released before someone catches a red polo-shirted chap pouring a bit of sambuca into the standard chip fa... er diesel?

So out of those of you have filled up with V-Power so far, would you say it seems any different to our old favourite tipple?

Regards,

Rob.

EDIT - Sod's law someone answers the question just as I'm asking it!

FactionOne said:
One thing I can't help wondering though is how long is it going to be before Audi embark on a massive branding excercise with Shell for V-Power Diesel (just like in the R10 don't you know)? Surely it's got to follow?

Mentioning France again the 'performance diesel' (hmm.....?) is already branded as V-Power.