JMB RetrofitsBadger5
    Beer God

Status

Whats the best...

Im guessing theres a few IT guys on here that could point me in the right direction, I would be interested in gaining a good qualification that would allow me to take up the position of a Cat5 engineer but I havent a clue as to whats hot and whats not....

So whats a good qualification/course to take up?

Ta.
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

2. # ADS
    ADS

VOIP Dude

Status
    Well I might be a little (a lot) biased but I would suggest following the Cisco route - start with a CCNA, which gives you basic switching/routing. Then you need to choose whether you want to go down the tech route or design route. Tech quals (CCNP onwards to CCIE) are good but right now the market is flooded with textbook junkies who actually know very little, so experience is essential. Design (CCDA onwards) is nice (not my bag) but it can be kinda boring (IMO).

After that you can consider a specialization - security, advanced switching/routing, IP Telephony (thats me) etc etc.

One thing I will say is don't expect to earn vast amounts of money - 10 years ago you may have been able to command a much larger salary with a bunch of qualifications, but I've seen jobs recently requesting CCIE (very high) qualifications offering the equivalent of 40k. Years ago that would have been approaching 100k

Experience is everything. I don't have a qualification to my name, but I am in a very niche market where there are very few engineers worldwide. While that is a good thing, it also means I am limited to where I can go in the future...

Good luck with whatever you choose!
    Spence

Gone at 80k: 2007 A3 Sportback 2.0T S-Line S-Tronic Mauritius Blue
    (4 S-Tronic boxes, 3 Mechatronics Units, 2 Dual Mass flywheels, 2 sets of engine mounts)
    Gone at 32k: 2005 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 140 S-Line DSG
    Ebony Black