Great Drives - drive for the fun of it.

Covenant

Reaction score
Thought it would be a good idea for people to post their favourite cruises. Full trips of 100+ miles or just a single B-road that excites you, post em all :)

I'll kick off with one from my old stomping ground:

B3212 from Exeter to Plymouth via Moretonhampstead and Princetown.

Great driver's road across the legendary moors and gets you away from the crowded dualies/motorway.

A696/A68, from Newcastle to Edinburgh via the Cheviots.

A single-carriageway road through breathtakingly beautiful countryside, it has open bends, banked bends, blind bends, switchbacks, hair-pins, hills, crests, dips, reverse cambers, (and, I sadly suspect since I last drove it, speed cameras).

Even so, it remains my favourite

The Route Napoleon (RN7) winding out of Grasse towards Sisteron and Grenobles; scent of pine, wild thyme and sage, hairpin madness zig-zagging through the Col des hautes Alpes; vast, endless, Roman-road straights, blasting past convoys of caravans; racing crazed drugged Renault Five turbo drivers side by side over rail crossings, through gorges and ravines... 400 kilometres of lunatic French speedway all the way to Grenobles. .

Of course there is the legendary:

A537 Macclesfield to Buxton and A5004 Buxton to Whalley Bridge

Would be nice if we could get enough routes for someone to plan a journey across country using the best roads as recommended by Audi-Sport.net :D

Crianlarich to Callander.

The A82, all of it; even the crappy bit just passed Tarbet.

My personal favourite is the Glenshee to Braemar and then Braemar to Tomintoul roads. (A mate and I did this in our Scooby STI PPP and RenaultSport 182 Cup respectively leaving at least one TT standing. :moa: ) Awesome, awesome driving roads.

The drive to Barmouth in Wales is a lot of fun around all those country lanes and mountain roads.

Gives you a good chance to test out the Quattro system. :cool:

jojo said:
Is that a straight road then? :moa:

Sigh.... that's the only sort of road they have out here :(

Funny thing is, I found a road with a corner. Yes, there is at least one, however the speed limit drops to a whopping 15mph just before. Ha ha, I guess no one really knows what to do with that circle thing in front of you. Even the race car drivers can only handle left hand turns.:racer:

A4Andy said:
Crianlarich to Callander.

The A82, all of it (even the crappy bit just passed Tarbet),

My personal favourite is the Glenshee to Braemar and the Braemar to Tomintoul. (A mate and I did this in out Scooby STI PPP and RenaultSport 182 Cup respectively leaving at least one TT standing. :moa: ) Awesome, awesome driving roads.

Ooo yes. Know it well :) I'll be up there next week as well at Arrochar. Make my annual pilgrimage to the Green Welly s
Stop :)

Can we include fair ground rides as i can remember going on a ride with a fire engine, a ambulance, a helicopter and a boat on it, unfortunately though i wasnt quick enough running onto the ride and had to go on the horse, we didnt really go very far just round in circles for about 5 mins and although i was giddy and threw up all over one of the other cubs that was on the trip with us it was a good ride.

The legendary Fossway - from the West Country to Leicester. I took it just after chipping my S3. Wow! An ancient roman road with fabulous long straights, hairpins, blind summits, wobbly caravans and suicidal bikers. It's also a very pretty road as lots of people put fresh flowers by it. They should do more of that elsewhere; shows people care.

OutLore said:
Sigh.... that's the only sort of road they have out here :(

Funny thing is, I found a road with a corner. Yes, there is at least one, however the speed limit drops to a whopping 15mph just before. Ha ha, I guess no one really knows what to do with that circle thing in front of you. Even the race car drivers can only handle left hand turns.:racer:

Get your **** up to the original section of route 66 up in the hills between LA and flagstaff, some of the best roads anywhere and no coppers in sight!

My favorite roads would be anywhere other than the M42. :keule: The more roundabouts / nasty bends the better!

Used to be Lambertsberg -> Hahn

Start off with derestricted autobahn and then cross over the Mosel and up the windy hills on towards Hahn airport. Total journey was about 60 miles. Half autobahn, half country roads. Now I get to add Luxembourg country roads and motorways onto that trip. Damn you ex-girlfriend ;)

Done part of this last year great run and the road was imacculate was like race track

The A177 from Sedgefield just to Thorpe Larches - 2 miles of brilliant chicanes, turn around and do it again!

The Cockbridge - Tomintoul road in the Scottish Highlands...
Over that, over the Lecht, Grantown, Aberlour, Huntly...brilliant drive.

Of if you want the full version, from Dundee, Blairgowrie, Glanshee, Braemar, Ballater, Cockbridge-Tomontoul road, Lecht, Grantown, Aberlour, Huntly...suffer the A96 for a few miles, Colpy, Oldmeldrum, Pitmedden, Ellon, Auchmacoy, Newburgh, Aberdeen.

Then you'll need a rest...and a Burger king...
Dual Carridgeway back to Dundee...

This was the route for the Audi-Sport.net Scottish runs...now favoured by the 911 boys...

It'll take you a full tankful of juice...tire you out, and present you with some of the most amazing scenery and roads in the UK. Brilliant.