lake garda

treblesykes

Reaction score
going there next week,but flying so will be in a hire car, anyone give me a few pointers on where to go, landing at Milan (bergamo), then driving across to garda scenic route , Staying on south coast of lake (nr desenzano)

Fantastic. Was ther in Aug last year. We stayed at Malcesine, which is about 3/4 up the eastern coast. There are ferries which you can jump onto which will take you up and down the lake. They make several stops along the way, and work like a hop-on-hop-off system. We didn't get the south/south-western area, but it all looks nice. We spent a few hours in Garda itself, Sirmione, torre-del-benaco and bardolino in the south. Malcesine was the best though. There is a cable car there and it takes you up the mountain(which are huge). You get great views of the lake, you can see Verona and Milan, and all the way to the swiss alps. We also went north and spent time in Limone, Riva and Tarbole. Tarbole is the windsurfing utopia if that's your thing. You can hire a speedboat by the hour too. Jump on a coach or train to Venice for the day while you're there, and spend a day in Verona. Enjoy, it's fantastic.

I've stayed in Limone (opposite side of the lake from Malcesine). Ditto everything previously said by Arthur. I can windsurf and I had a go - I'd never been on a lake that big before but it was amazing. Also well worth going up in the cable car above Malcesine. Enjoy it.