Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
    Yeee-haw
    Jason's Pong Champion

Status

Smile Laser Eye Surgery

Anyone here had laser eye surgery... thinking of taking the plunge, but the hole being awake thing just makes me a bit jumpy. Currently planning to use ultralase (even though the nearest one is Newcastle) but have also looked at others, like Moorfields eye hospital in London.

As far as eyes go, -6.5 short sighted, virtually no astigmatism, wear soft contact lenses (don't even own any glasses anymore)

Any advice etc?

Cheers,

Mike

PS - anyone else slowly but surely working out who's who with the names changed to your login name by default...

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Every person I have spoke to who has had it has said it's the best thing they have ever done.
    I personally wouldn't take the chance, also you can smell the flesh burning while they are doing it :s

Senior

Status
    Is that like going to a barbecue?

Controversial & Contradictive

Status
    I had it done in South Africa 7 years ago, and it's the best decision I've ever made. Yes, it is a bit unnerving, but there is absolutely no pain at all. Even after the op, once the anesthetic drops have worn off. I had very mild discomfort over-night(a bit like very dry eyes after a rather large skinfull of ale). They removed the covers the following morning, and it was like a miracle. Perfect 20/20 from -6 and -6.5 with astigmatism. The actual procedure takes about 20 minutes, no pain. They use a contraption to keep your eyelids open, and that is slightly uncomfortable, but no pain at all.

You won't regret it.
    53 A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport 180 Tiptronic. Heated Buffalino leather, DVD Sat Nav RNS-E, TV, Bluetooth, 6 cd, BOSE, Colour DIS, Cruise Control, Auto lights and mirrors, Interior light pack, Heated mirrors.

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    Did you hear about the short sighted circumsiser???

He got the sack.
    2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

Missed gear

Status
    Also thinking about it - just need to sort the cash.

Heard excellent reports of Ultralase from a friend. Another one saying it is the best thing he has ever done - given him a second life.
    He said it is like a trip through time - lights from a seventies dicso, then from an eighties one, and finally from a rave.
    Mind you I'm not sure what he smoked before he went in !
    B7 A4 Avant S-line Special Edition v2 2.0 TFSi - AmD stage 1 - 263Bhp 396Nm

smoking a6

Status
    had mine done four years ago i was -10D and -3 astigmatism (thanks mum lol) now my vision is 6/6 and 6/9 and couldn't be happier much better than contacts..

i'd like to say this from doing research before its still possible for it to go wrong even if you put your life savings into it, the only advice you need is find a good surgeon who has done many many of these, i in the end went with bupa for the surgeons past and haven't regreted it.. RESEARCH RESEARCH

and the operating table don't worry about it, its 15 minutes of sitting there just think of it as an experience and that your site will start improving visibly in the next few minutes thats worth it truly

and good luck
    just a little a6

Lord of War

Status
    Got mine done last year and can't fault it. The only recommendation I would make is to get the LASIK rather than LASEK. I had LASEK and it was nearly a month before I got my vision. A friend has LASIK and had it the next day.
    The say that LASEK is less risky but the percentage difference is decimals.

Owner

Status
    I have been thinking about this to.

Not too keen on the idea of my eye ball getting cut and flapped back though.
    A4 1.8T Quattro, FMIC, Coilovers, B&M short shift, 312mm Brakes, Stage 4 clutch, Awe Gauge, Uprated antiroll bars, plus more bits. Pics Here

Status
    Seriously guys, there is no pain. The worst bit is the clamp they use to hold your eye-lids open, and that is only slightly uncomfortable.

Go for a really good surgeon though, don't do it on the cheap. I ended up going to South Africa to have it done. The actual surgery was a lot cheaper than the UK, and I had it done by one of the pioneers of the surgery. Do your homework.
    53 A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport 180 Tiptronic. Heated Buffalino leather, DVD Sat Nav RNS-E, TV, Bluetooth, 6 cd, BOSE, Colour DIS, Cruise Control, Auto lights and mirrors, Interior light pack, Heated mirrors.

Yeee-haw
    Jason's Pong Champion

Status
    This is why I'm thinking of Moorfields. I'm basing this on nothing but I do not want to go to someone above a takeaway in the high street for 300/eye. If there is one area not to cut corners it's my eyes. Moorfields costs a bit more, but so what?

http://www.moorfields.org.uk/Home

I'd not even thought about bupa, will have a look. Dummi, which Bupa did you go to? One in Brum?

Cheers,

Mike

Lord of War

Status
    I had mine done at Optical Express for about 500 per eye (relatively low prescription compared to you bats :-)) Bear in mins that if you have a strong prescription the price increases from that advertised.

Missed gear

Status
    How much are we talking for LASIK from somewhere like ultralase ?
    I seem to recall around 950 an eye ?
    B7 A4 Avant S-line Special Edition v2 2.0 TFSi - AmD stage 1 - 263Bhp 396Nm

smoking a6

Status
    i went worcester way to bupa.

FYI lasik they cut a flap of your eyes lens surface (painless you have no pain sense there) and craft the under layer which will heal fast,

lasek does the top layer of your eye which gives some scarring to the surface which heals over time so a long wait
    just a little a6

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringster
    How much are we talking for LASIK from somewhere like ultralase ?
    I seem to recall around 950 an eye ?

Does it not depend on what strength your eye vision is?

smoking a6

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo
    Does it not depend on what strength your eye vision is?
    no, i think price is fixed company to company i would not want to go to a place more interested in how much you can pay rather than doing a good job. if they think that surgery is risky for you because of a related condition they shouldn't be offering you treatment but if you pay more they shouldn't be giving you treatment in the first place. and if you have such concerns you should make an appointment with your ophthalmologist to discuss it.. you can do this privately it will be insignificant in costs you will be facing so money should not be a worry at this point and you will then know where you stand for this treatment.. and keep researching so you can understand what you are choosing that is a good recipee for no regrets i used

HTH

dummi
    just a little a6

Owner

Status
    Anyone know how long the treatment lasts?
    A4 1.8T Quattro, FMIC, Coilovers, B&M short shift, 312mm Brakes, Stage 4 clutch, Awe Gauge, Uprated antiroll bars, plus more bits. Pics Here

Status
    15-20mins

Lord of War

Status
    The cost does vary depending on your prescription, at least it did with Optical Express.

The actual surgery takes about 10 minutes per eye...don't inhale, burning eyeball smells disgusting ;-)

My short sight was quite minor compare to you guys, but I had appaling hygiene when it came to my contacts so figured I ought to have it done before I blinded myself.

As I've said before, go for the 'cut a flap' version rather than the 'scrape a layer off ' version. The healing time on the second is too long to be practical really.

Owner

Status
    Ok cheers guys and how long are you no longer blind for? 20 years or something?

Lord of War

Status
    The treatment doesn't regress at all, but obviously you're eyes will change with time. When you hit 40ish you're eyes tend to start veering towards long site, but the advantage is, you'll only have to wear one set of glasses, not two

6th Gear

Status
    aye, that is my concern, that if you get it done how long would it last before you need glasses again. When I was in Canada last year on holiday they were advertising it for $500 - which was about 250 for both eyes! I guess that was just a starting off price though.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

smoking a6

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Khufu
    aye, that is my concern, that if you get it done how long would it last before you need glasses again. When I was in Canada last year on holiday they were advertising it for $500 - which was about 250 for both eyes! I guess that was just a starting off price though.
    forget money to an extent while your doing your research look for experience in a surgeon and i'd say you could keep your mind open up to 3k for a good job rather than 250 for what could be sub standard IMO sub standard is not worth it you'll still need specs and theres a limited amount that can be done after the operation FYI i think its less than 5% or something of these jobs turn out worse than original vision but they still happen so advising choose after research don't dive in which is easy to do with them all over the high street..

HTH
    just a little a6

Status
    Blimey, I paid R8000 which is about 700 for both eyes in SA. Maybe take a holiday to SA and have it done while you're there, and will be the same price as having it done here, with a nice holiday included in the cost.

Lord of War

Status
    you don't need to spend 3k. THe majority of the work is done by computers and machines (if that's reassuring?) Provided you don't go to some backstreet hack merchant you'll be fine.

Yeee-haw
    Jason's Pong Champion

Status
    It does seem that they make the machine do more for the 3k - they don't blanket correct when they do wavefront.