17yr old.. first driving lesson..

• Thread starter imported_CurryMilkShake
  • Start date
I

imported_CurryMilkShake

So No.2 son was 17 about 1hr50mins ago..

and at 1minute past midnight, we were starting his 1st lesson in his own car! It had to be done..

Hes got a Pug 306xtdt, a 1993 L reg, with 145k on the clock.. but full history, fresh mot and tax and in great nick for the year, Id have loved something like that for my first motor! especially a 1.9turbodiesel! no rocketship, but nice and surefooted, pas too and decent brakes.. even got leccy windows, mirrors and sunroof!

I tell you, those of you (and I know theres a few) who are just starting a family now, make the most of it when they are tiny, cos it doesnt seem 5 minutes ago I was taking pics of this little babe, and here I am sitting with him while he learns the finer points of clutch control and hill starts in his own car..

and he did ****** well! I am most impressed.. not ***** at all, accepting of mistakes, and constant questions on how to avoid 'doing that again!' his theory test is already booked, and intensive driving lessons through his college half term in a week or so..

Gonna be 40 in a few days, and its all happening a bit quick.. so mixed feelings here.. proud as dammit, and scared of it all too!

and hows this for ironic.. found out hes already a member of a 306 forum, and has already used it to find out how to replace the faulty backlights on his dash clock! got the job done already too!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Nice i only have 16years to go before teaching my girl the finer points of rallying! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

No children myself, CMS, but your post did give me reminders of my 17th birthday, when I persuaded my dad to take for my first lesson at 00.01am. This wasn't in my own car, though, it was my Mum's. A 1967 Vauxhall Viva, IIRC.

Dad was an amazing driver, having spent 20 years as a grade A1 Police patrol driver. One of his former oppos on the force had recently left to start up a driving school, so naturally I had my official lessons with him. He wasn't quite in my Dad's league technically as a driver, but he was inifinitely more patient as an instructor (or is that just that he wasn't my Dad, LOL?!)

Even so, I was the only 17-year-old in my town at that time who could double-declutch, heel & toe and do controlled RWD power slides before he'd passed his test.

well done mate, you must be proud

18th birthday buy him a audi lol

you waited till he was 17 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif , i was out in my mini on private roads at 16. my dad couldn`t wait until I was 17 after we had rebuilt a mini i bought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

His car arrived only a few days before.. but we do live down a nice gravel track! so yes, basic clutch control and 3 point turns had been covered before hitting the tarmac stuff!.. have to be a little careful, cos at the other end of our (technically still public) gravel track is Dorset Police headquarters, and they all walk past my house!

Nice one CMS...../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif I already have mine changing gear (Son and daughter are 9 and 10 respectively).... I say "1,2,3,2,3,4"..... it's like being in an automatic !!.... obviously only when it's safe to do so and as they use their right hand, it's gettin em practising for a left hooker car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ...... They have sat on my knee before, behind the wheel - again safe and quiet road.....

They're both mega keen - I can see the "00:01 - dad I'm 17" coming my way as well (TWICE !!) ..... Know what you mean about time flies....

my son was one a few weeks ago.... i bought him his first car... a wicked pedal retro hot rod, black with flames.... he absolutly loves it...
ironically, one of his first words was dads car...
kids..... there like farts...... you hate everyone elses and relish your own....

[ QUOTE ]
Nice one CMS...../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif I already have mine changing gear (Son and daughter are 9 and 10 respectively).... I say "1,2,3,2,3,4"..... it's like being in an automatic !!.... obviously only when it's safe to do so and as they use their right hand, it's gettin em practising for a left hooker car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ...... They have sat on my knee before, behind the wheel - again safe and quiet road.....

They're both mega keen - I can see the "00:01 - dad I'm 17" coming my way as well (TWICE !!) ..... Know what you mean about time flies....

[/ QUOTE ]

i have a little girl and she is the same loves changing the gears she gets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif off if i drive the main roads as there is not that much changing to do but happy on the back roads as yourself only when it is save to do so

Aah, this thread is bringing back memories... i also used to do the 1,2,3,4,5 thing when i was too little to get behind the wheel. My dad used to take me to car parks where i'd drive my step-mum's 205 GTi from about the age of 15...
My dad's the greatest!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

my dad would go nuts if i even touched the stereo.... ive never drove one of his cars.... though he lets my older brother use it ???

Proud Dad u are CMS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif