Got busted speeding.

Reaction score
Alright folks the letter i was dredding came through today.

Got caught doing 52 in a 30.

However i was sure it was a 40 as i know the road which is a main one in Edinburgh turns at around the point i got caught from a 30 to a 40.

Gutted like.

Well if it's just a fixed penalty then doesn't really matter if it was a 30 or a 40 you'd still get the same £60 fine and 3 points. Unlucky, was it a fixed camera or a mobile unit?

Was one of the mobile white van ones.

The thing is i dont know if it is a fixed 3 points £60.

I dont really understand the letter as it doesn't mention points or a fine.

I am tempted to scan the letter so you guys can tell me what is what.

The first letter is a notice of offence. You simply have to declare who was driving. Then.. you will recieve another letter stating what penalty you have.

Yeah got it this morning and the offence was on the 25th of april.

I think i am gonna get a short ban like.

I dont know if i get a ban i will get a smaller fine and it will not affect my insurance so much. Or what is the best thing to happen.

Bad luck buddy. I wouldn't worry too much though as I reckon you will just get the 3 points and the £60 fine. Why you think you are getting a ban? How many other convictions you got?

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah got it this morning and the offence was on the 25th of april.

I think i am gonna get a short ban like.

I dont know if i get a ban i will get a smaller fine and it will not affect my insurance so much. Or what is the best thing to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there noone else who can say they were driving and take the points for you? With maybe a little cash incentive involved? Just an idea mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Worst case would be a court appearance and 6 points as long as you're not already on 6 points. Fine will be more as it always is when involving the courts, and is dependent on your circumstances.
If you're already on 6 points then you'll actually need to go to court and plead your case, mitigating circumstances and undue hardship if you lose your licence etc etc.
You won't be banned for that single offence, you have to be doing 30 over the speed limit to get into banning territory.

Just ignore it, maybe there too busy and will only follow up cases who admit to it.

You never know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sweeping things under the carpet dont make them go away TDI!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have been looking on http://forums.pepipoo.com/

There is a loop hole in the law which in Scotland you dont have to sign the letter they send which they need to prosicute but i am getting cold feet about doing that.

I think i will just plead guilty.

I have had no convictions before and have been driving 4 years.

I thought i may get banned as 22mph over the limit is quite a lot in a 30.

I know i should not have been doing it but where i got caught the road is just turning into a 40 and its two lanes in each direction. Just so you dont all think i was speeding in a really busy street with people walking around.

I may take pics of the scene on monday so you all dont frown on me too much.

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]
Sweeping things under the carpet dont make them go away TDI!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif Ok, i consider myself told off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Another area where the scots have it sussed. They don't just let the powers that be overturn the basic premise of British Justice i.e. innocent until proven guilty, or in our case guilty unless you grass up the driver.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif Ok, i consider myself told off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good boy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Comiston Rd the one with two lanes in each direction.

Just pulled out the shell garage and was heading up towards the bypass.

You know how it goes from a 30 to a 40 i thought it turned to the 40 at the garage because would normally never do that speed in a 30.

Oh yeah I know the place you mean. Thats a bit of a nightmare mate, reckon I would maybe make the same mistake to be honest.

Hope it works out ok.

Steve

My friend got caught about 5 years ago doing 58 in a 30, he got 6 points and a larger fine! Apparently if he'd been doing 60, he would of got the ban

30mph over the speed limit is usually a mandatory court appearance & subsequent ban, but it varies from county to county. My wife got done on a 30mph dual carriageway doing 56 and likewise got 6 points and a larger fine. Which is why we both have laser jammers fitted now.