Far more accurate!

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
MOPEDCAM.jpg

I find having a scaffolding pole about 9 feet long on the passenger seat comes in handy, now you see him now you see him ( reaches over for above mentioned scaffolding pole, and quickly slides it out of the drivers windows ) Now you still see him but in a heap in the middle of the road concussed before he even knew what hit him.
Sorted Respect due, my handy tips booklet ( mainly stolen from my Wifes Bella magazine ) will be avaliable as soon as i get my lottery grant for the gay and lesbian book publishing company of Great Britain ( its me really using a bogus company name )
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif

I really don't understand what that TV ad is trying to get across.
Bikers are suicidal idiots who are above the law so please drive more carefully in case you hurt one?
At first I thought it was for BMW drivers, encouraging the use of indicators when turning right, but in the ad you can clearly hear that the driver has his indicator on!
It would be a more effective ad if he came off his bike and slid into a small child on the pavement then we could appreciate the danger of a sliding biker!

What happens on the real advert nearly happened to me this aft!

Was waiting to turn right onto a side street that was being blocked by some doddering old bint. I waved her out as I wouldn't have been able to get round her then was just about turning and some absolute tw@ on a bike came screaming up on the outside! Just missed him.

The advert should be aimed at bikers, telling them not to inpatient gits, especially when someone's turning right with their indicator on!

Sorry, rant over.

MMmmm. Theres 2 sides to this.
I was out on the bike one afternoon , indicating to turn right, moved over to the middle of the road , and had my arm out to signal turning right too, as I was about to turn, somebody in a car overtook me.
I was riding pillion with a mate whilst exiting a roundabout a woman in a mini who was indicating to turn left turned right across our exit. I went over the roof and landed on my head (no harm done there then) and my mate made a large dent in the side of the car.
I was riding around a roundabout and looking straight at me (always a dead giveaway that they haven't seen you)someone started to pull out in front of me so I headed to go around the back of him so he promptly stopped and blocked the roundabout completely. I was completely sideways when i stopped up against his door, twas a good job his window was up or i'd have throttled the sod.

When I'm out riding I generally assume that no one sees me and ride accordingly, even if i'm right in front of them with my indicators on and my arm out and my headlight on. I am far more alert on the bike than in a car, if you make **** up theres no cage to protect you. I've had one 60mph get off and a few slower ones, they tend to focus your attention. It seems to have worked so far, i've survived riding for 26 years.

My point is that the ad fails to make it's point. You've illustrated a number of scenarios above which would have made far better adverts directed at motorists reminding them to take the time to look again when pulling out of a junction or onto a roundabout.
The ad shows a motorist doing absolutely nothing wrong and it is actually the bike that is at fault even though the ad is directed at motorists (I think).
Most idiots behind the wheel find it difficult enough to coordinate their limbs with their brain in order to make a right turn in a timely fashion without having to worry about someone overtaking them while they do it. The message I get is one that just reinforces the belief that bikers are suicidal, it certainly doesn't encourage me to change the way I drive. We've all seen bikes hacking up the middle of 2 lanes of traffic on the motorway and then have a go at a motorist for daring to change lanes ahead of him without indicating. Two points can be drived from that scenario, 1. the bike is undertaking which is illegal, and 2. you are not required to indicate when moving back into the inside lane.

I thought the ad wrong too - you should never overtake at a junction, the biker was in the wrong. There are good and bad bikers just like car drivers - its just the bad car drivers tend to live longer. Bikers are perfectly legal to move up through the traffic if it is stationary but i'd doubt its legal if free flowing - i'd never do it anyhow, its far too dangerous as your easily missed by other road users. The other ad is better when the car pulls out the junction.

[ QUOTE ]
I...... There are good and bad bikers just like car drivers - its just the bad car drivers tend to live longer..

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like there's an element of natural selection going on there. Over time, a greater portion of stupid bikers than stupid car drivers will die until eventually only smart bikers are left.