Insurance hike after endorsement

nickel101

Reaction score
In Feb i got photo-ed by a Truvelo camera ( forward facing) whilst in a hire car in Scotland returning to the airport after a meeting, the camera was in a very sneaky place, just off a motorway junction leading onto the dual carraige way that goes from 70 to 50 to 40 in a very short distance..

I recieved the NIP and have just send off my license to be endorsed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I am insured with Bell Direct, who gave me a good quote for the renewal. I called them up and told them that i have just had the endorsement and they told me they want another 180 quid!!

OMG..!!!

Fortunately I am still in the 14 day grace period after renewal, so told em where to stick it, and went with direct line which turned out to be 20 quid more than the Bell quote.

I am stunned that having a clean licence for 10+ years then one mistake, you get penalised so much.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

but at the end of the day I am still happy that I have got insurance for pretty much the same cost as before.

Yeah, i hate this crap with speeding cameras. Its not just the fine that you get for being done its the years of high insurance premiums that you get after.

End of the day though if you dont speed you dont get done, but there are cases where people dont know.
So moral of the story if your in a strange place and you dont know the road do 29 mph, motorway, dual-carrage way the lot that way you will be fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've got 9 points now and my insurance company weren't bothered.
Generally 3 points and fixed penalty will not effect your premium.
Everyone has or will have at least 3 points on their licence in the next 12 months, even hire car/van companies don't mind anymore and they used to be a nightmare for me. Finally companies are realising that speeding doesn't equal dangerous driving. In fact a clean licence would be more off putting for me as it proves the person does absolutely no mileage and would therefore be more of a hazard behind the wheel.
So, if insurance companies aren't bothered about 3, 6 or 9 points as an indicator of how safe a driver you are (and they should know as they have the real stats), then where's the justification for the governments misinformed view that speeding=accidents?

[ QUOTE ]
In Feb i got photo-ed by a Truvelo camera ( forward facing) whilst in a hire car in Scotland returning to the airport after a meeting, the camera was in a very sneaky place, just off a motorway junction leading onto the dual carraige way that goes from 70 to 50 to 40 in a very short distance..

I recieved the NIP and have just send off my license to be endorsed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I am insured with Bell Direct, who gave me a good quote for the renewal. I called them up and told them that i have just had the endorsement and they told me they want another 180 quid!!

OMG..!!!

Fortunately I am still in the 14 day grace period after renewal, so told em where to stick it, and went with direct line which turned out to be 20 quid more than the Bell quote.

I am stunned that having a clean licence for 10+ years then one mistake, you get penalised so much.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

but at the end of the day I am still happy that I have got insurance for pretty much the same cost as before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were was the camera and what airport?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Liverpool Victoria don't give a toss about etiher points or bans due to a single case of speeding. Personally I think they need all the support they can get to send out the message that speeding isn't dangerous

[ QUOTE ]

Were was the camera and what airport?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Edinburgh airport, on the dual carraige way leading to the entrance.

AndyMac whats the max points you can get? Here it's 12 so if I'd 9 points I'd be driving a little more carefully.

Got 2 myslef for speeding on a 30mph dual carriageway at 1am several months back. Nearly killed the cop when he jumped out of the bush to stop me - idiot.

What annoys me the most is that the points are only on your licence for three years, yet the Insurance companies count them for Five so they can ramp your insurance for a further 2 years.

They are only interested in accidents that have occured in the last three years which is surely a better indication of your driving ability.

I had 9 points all of which are older thean 3 years yet when i get online quotes the difference between declaring them or not is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif £150 - what a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif joke!

I shouldn't get any more from now on though (touches wood) as both my cars have IR cloaking devices rendering me invisible to Infra Red hairdryers.

At least if i get done for my devices i can't recieve penelty points which will last for 5 years.

Same here nervus, best £600 I have ever spent to get Target LRC's fitted to both our cars, already they've saved me from a ban and the missus from another 3 points (she's on 6 at the moment)
Necro, thanks for pointing that out, hadn't thought of that!
This is exactly my point it has nothing to do with driving more carefully. I've already been banned for totting up back in '98 and before that I was left on 12 points for 18 months, so it was only a matter of time and I know all about trying to stick to the speed limit.
Just you try it, it's impossible if you do the amount of miles I do.
All my points were for motorway speeding, laser & VASCAR, so yes if you take my history I look like a right little tearaway, however in 20 years of doing 25k miles a year I've never had an accident (apart from a couple of idiots who rear ended me). Ummm, funny that. What amazes me when you go to court to plead your case, they bang on about what a danger you are on the road but no mention is made of your accident history as they know it won't tally with the myth that speeding on motorways causes accidents. Accidents on motorways are only caused by 2 things, HGV's & idiots not concentrating (regardless of the speed they're doing).
Funnily enough I am all for fixed speed camera's. (Having actually never been done by one). But speed camera's in the right places. How they can justify an expensive resource like a traffic cop sitting on a motorway bridge 8pm on a Saturday evening with a hairdryer and claim he is improving road safety is just beyond me.
Where is that cop when the little feckers are chucking concrete onto the traffic?
Rant over (for now)

The biggest hike in accidents here are from eastern europeans (mainly Polish and Latvians) who are used to driving on the wrong side of the road. Most of them have high powered BMWs or Audi or Mercs. The main killers are sleepy HGV's and the young "No Fear" "Go Faster " "2Fast2Furious" Opel Corsa nobs.

Wasn't having a go about your driving Andy just wondering what's the max before you're banned?

A mate of mine (ex bike racer) was just banned as he was tinkering (left off 2 more speeding offences) on 9 points for the past year and was done at Christmas for drink driving after having 2 pints. The judge took his points into consideration and banned him for 3 years. He's currently working out a way to appeal on grounds of job loss but if it fails he's off to Australia.

Anyone tried that book supposedly written by an ex copper on how to get out of points? You see it advertised in car mags and FHM etc, but can't remember the name.

Also this kind of thing.

http://www.intranetics.co.uk/speed-trap-guide-2005.htm

I don't have anything pending (the points have even dropped off now and they stay on you license for 4 years, only valid for 3 for totting up). It's also a con how you have to pay to have them taken off too, so you pay twice, although if you move house they have to print you up a new one without the points, but it's a bit drastic to avoid the cost!

It all sounds almost too good to be true...

....and usually is.
I find the bloke down the pub is a cheaper alternative and just a foolproof.
The easiest way to get out of the points is to get someone else to take them for you