Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications

Thread: Descartes

imported_CurryMilkShake

Descartes

Descartes is sitting in a bar, having a drink.

The bartender asks him if he would like another.

"I think not," he says, and promptly vanishes.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status

Re: Descartes

I dont get this?

descartes is

We may consider Descartes as the first of the modern school of mathematics. Ren Descartes was born near Tours on March 31, 1596, and died at Stockholm on February 11, 1650; thus he was a contemporary of Galileo and Desargues. His father, who, as the name implies, was of good family, was accustomed to spend half the year at Rennes when the local parliament, in which he held a commission as councillor, was in session, and the rest of the time on his family estate of Les Cartes at La Haye. Ren, the second of a family of two sons and one daughter, was sent at the age of eight years to the Jesuit School at La Flche, and of the admirable discipline and education there given he speaks most highly. On account of his delicate health he was permitted to lie in bed till late in the mornings; this was a custom which he always followed, and when he visited Pascal in 1647 he told him that the only way to do good work in mathematics and to preserve his health was never to allow anyone to make him get up in the morning before he felt inclined to do so; an opinion which I chronicle for the benefit of any schoolboy into whose hands this work may fall.

3rd Gear

Status

in my own words:-

The two most widely known of Descartes' philosophical ideas are those of a method of hyperbolic doubt, and the argument that, though he may doubt, he cannot doubt that he exists. The first of these comprises a key aspect of Descartes' philosophical method. As noted above, he refused to accept the authority of previous philosophers - but he also refused to accept the obviousness of his own senses. In the search for a foundation for philosophy, whatever could be doubted must be rejected. He resolves to trust only that which is clearly and distinctly seen to be beyond any doubt. In this manner, Descartes peels away the layers of beliefs and opinions that clouded his view of the truth. But, very little remains, only the simple fact of doubting itself, and the inescapable inference that something exists doubting, namely Descartes himself.

His next task is to reconstruct our knowledge piece by piece, such that at no stage is the possibility of doubt allowed to creep back in. In this manner, Descartes proves that he himself must have the basic characterisitc of thinking, and that this thinking thing (mind) is quite distinct from his body; the existence of a God; the existence and nature of the external world; and so on. What is important in this for Descartes is, first, that he is showing that knowledge is genuinely possible (and thus that sceptics must be mistaken), and, second, that, more particularly, a mathematically-based scientific knowledge of the material world is possible.

3rd Gear

Status

the attempted joke coming from a man who sells his audi to buy a bmw

imported_CurryMilkShake

some sense of humour failures going on here I think.. and Im far from being the only audi-sport member with a bmw or other non-audi.. the reasons for parting with the audi rather than the bmw are purely financial! Im certainly not ashamed of being enthusiastic about both cars, and they each have their flaws.. Oh well..

for anyone who remains unclear, Descarte's theory is popularly known as 'I think, therefore I am..'

Im going back for some more whiskey now..

6th Gear

Status

Well i get it now and i am educated at the same time .........

What whisky you drinking?

imported_CurryMilkShake

I have three lined up..! all Glens.. Fiddich, Livet and Morangie..

Life is wierd - fed up about lots of things, including having no job at the mo, (anyone need a good IT and project Manager??) but have BMW and Audi and Toyota on the drive.. just need an income to run them!!

so whiskey it is tonight...!

Care to join me?!

6th Gear

Status

i work for Whisky Company we own Highland Park,Macallan,Famous Grouse,Glenturret,Tamdhu,Glenrothes to name a few and yes i will join you i am on Macallan tonight so cheers [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

Sorry to hear about Job but sure something will turn up

imported_CurryMilkShake

Cheers to you too!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

bainsyboy

I havent even read this thread as im stuck on a plane which has been stuck on a conveyor belt for the last month or so.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel

[ QUOTE ]
    I havent even read this thread as im stuck on a plane which has been stuck on a conveyor belt for the last month or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

imported_CurryMilkShake

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But Bainsy, thats not right, cos you DID take off...!!!!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif[/img]

Uber Post Whore

Status

I'll have a southern comfort with you CMS. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

bainsyboy

But Bainsy, thats not right, cos you DID take off...!!!!

When did this happen, where am i, how many drinks can you have for free then in the buisness class and how many have i had, have just opened the pull down plastic shade thingy and yes we are flying, so the answer to this question is yes. ( although the question is in another page, but i lose the will to live when i click it )
    Please keep a eye out for my full holiday report as soon as we find a conveyor belt to land on in the Bahamas or Southend