Cleaning chome

Reaction score
Hi i used to be into BMX's and i havent used my it for about 5 years.

In this time it has been out in my garage stored up on the rafters.

Anyway i fancied taking it down and going for a play.

So i pulled it down and give it a wipe to dust it off.

This is when i noticed lots of little specks of rust on the surface.

Anyone know what i could use to remove these?

I am sure i have heard of cloths which can do the job?

Cheers,
Paul.

By far and away the best chrome polish I've come across is Solvol Autochrome (not to be confused with Autosol polish thats made in Germany), its made in the UK by the people who make Hammerite paint...
Its brilliant stuff, will not scratch chrome, unlike many other metal polishes, yet will remove all sorts of stubborn stains eg light rust, from chrome.
I had 2 really tarnished (meaning 20 years plus of tarnish) genuine VW 1970's Beetle bumpers, with Autochrome they came up literally as-new,without scratching.
Its not easy stuff to get hold of but its the only chrome polish thats allowed anywhere near my cars these days.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ok i will have a hunt around and give it a try.

Thanks very much.

Also anyone have any tips for storing chrome items in the garage?

Like is there anything i should coat it in to try and help protect it?

[ QUOTE ]
Ok i will have a hunt around and give it a try.

Thanks very much.

Also anyone have any tips for storing chrome items in the garage?

Like is there anything i should coat it in to try and help protect it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.
Here's a pic of the Autochrome polish;

63ccac92.jpg

I did mail-order some from a firm in Derby but when it arrived it turned out they had run out of it and substituted Autosol polish instead (the German polish that comes in a black and gold tube) as they "didn't think there was any difference"..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif
Autosol is great for polishing brass/copper as it is quite abrasive, but beacuse of that it does scratch chrome ...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Anyway, managed to find Autochrome stocked at
www.Holden.co.uk , which is where I now buy it from,but even they can't get the name right on their website and call it "Autosol" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif-but it is Autochrome that they are supplying....
They also list some interesting chrome preservatives which may be what you are after......

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

also, belive it or not, if you want to clean the rust off your chrome, get a can of coke and some tin foil, scrunch the foil into a ball pour some coke onto the chrome and rub with the foil, works a treat, once done clean with cloth, but i wouldnt try it on anything expensive until you get the technique right.
(i used this on a chrome engine cover on a show car i had, it worked great)