What's the policing on the roads like in your area.

Vanessa

Reaction score
Hi guys,

so where I live we don't have many speed cameras, we have little flashing signs that show you your speed, if your speeding you get a sad face flash at you, if you then slow down before you reach the post you get a big smiley face and a little note says happy driving.

These seem to work very well. As it's nice to get a smiley face.

The police wait on the long country roads with speed traps as normal, but if your speeding they pull you over and you have an instant fine. We do not have a high failure to stop rate, virtually zero as the police carry guns. So no stop get shot is the phrase.

What's it like where you live.

we no longer have many/any police on our roads, as long as the 'most dangerous people in the world' are caught via a speed camera, the lack of driving skills are not a worry on the roads near me.

so you are free to talk on your phone all day, hit pavements, swing all over the road, pull out in front of people, brake for no reason, tailgate and numerous other stupid and dangerous things, and you'll get away with it OK...

one of the worst things the UK done (IMO) is introduce this stupid, ill advised, pathetic mantra that "speed kills"....

nothing short of lies and deception and allowed policing levels to be reduced and everyday driving standards to fall apart.

Reactions: TonyH38
We have speed cameras everywhere, and lots of plain cop cars to deceive drivers. The M25 has lots of gantries with speed cameras on but........they aren't switched on...shhhhhhh

Reactions: voorhees
so you are free to talk on your phone all day, hit pavements, swing all over the road, pull out in front of people, brake for no reason, tailgate and numerous other stupid and dangerous things, and you'll get away with it OK...

one of the worst things the UK done (IMO) is introduce this stupid, ill advised, pathetic mantra that "speed kills"....

I may have interpreted your post incorrectly but... the speed kills comment isnt ill advised at all. Speed does kill. along with all the other aformentioned scenarios. Half the reason people lose control of their car and wipe themselves out or someone else is due to speed.

I agree that more police on the roads is far better than speed cameras!

In Worcester we have a lot of police around a lot of unmarked police cars around too and a lot of speed cameras and a lot of mobile camera's too but the police do there fair share of crashing there police cars into peoples garden walls..

Speed doesn't kill, stopping quickly does.

In answer to the question, police are more interested in catching you doing 3mph over the limit than catching a murderer.

Catching motorists is easy and they know it.

I may have interpreted your post incorrectly but... the speed kills comment isnt ill advised at all. Speed does kill. along with all the other aformentioned scenarios. Half the reason people lose control of their car and wipe themselves out or someone else is due to speed.

I agree that more police on the roads is far better than speed cameras!

speed has never killed anyone, at anytime in history.

speed is nothing more than the name given to the rate at which an object covers distance, tell me how that kills people?!?

the simple fact is, 10mph could be far too much, 1,000mph may be perfectly safe... speed will never, ever kill you...

Last edited:
Speed is only ever a contributory factor in a collision. To say it is the sole cause is bad science at best and insanely stupid and sweeping at worst. The whole speed kills is utter utter crap and this pathetic drive to slow traffic under the misplaced banner of road safety is retarded. Then as soon as you don't agree with the crap spouted by the anti speed lobby you are branded a thug that doesn't care about the safety of the children and are lumped on with the likes of Jimmy Saville as a hate figure.

Well the West Midlands has had all of their speed cameras switched off as they couldnt afford to run them, however news has come up over the past few weeks that a new digital format is going to be introduced later in the year, so they could all be back on again soon.

I guess they do the job of slowing people down temporarily, as people still slow down past them and then carry on as normal.

I dont really see that many Police on the roads nowadays, only in the evenings in the City Centre.

Don't see traffic cops in Manchester, every borough had an office, 12 I think it is, now just 2 for the whole of Manchester, explains a lot really re standards of driving

Come to Wiltshire.....

Think we were the first county to ditch our fixed cameras and the silly safety camera partnership.

If your on the M4 speeding then high chance you will get caught - mainly unmarked BMW's'.

Out in the sticks mainly standard patrol car with the officer using handheld laser. But very rare. To be honest unless major A roads or the M4 you will not see traffic cars.

I don't abuse this though - driving safe is name of the game