Trainers - Whose into them??

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
Ive always been a big fan of trainers (the type you wear on your feet) :)

When I was younger I used to work in a local independent sports shop that had contacts with all the big brands, so we would always get the latest trainers on the street and that made my interest in trainers grow even more.

Now nearly 20 years on, all the trainers I used to buy and have thrown away are coming back, but at ridiculous prices.

Currently on my buying list are Nike Air Huaraches, which were probably one of my best trainers EVER!

Anyone else on here into their trainers/footwear??

Reactions: s3 Hoggy
I am a big fan of Salomons and own three pairs.
X Ultra GTX for everyday use
Comet 3d GTX for trekking out
Speedcross 3 for running around shooting comps

Reactions: Nilz
Nilz, you been the nike outlet store near west brom? 18quid a pair normally in there!! Some right bargains!!

Got a few pairs of Nike Air Max for 25quid a pair

Wow, a blast from the past!

My first decent pair of trainers (in the loosest sense - I was a kid so they were bought for me), were Reebok Royale's (1986)! Probably cack by todays standards. I then moved to Nike Air Max (1988) , then Nike Air 180's (1990) before finding the glove like Nike Air Huarache's (1992). I then switched brand again to Reebok Pump Omni Zone Highs (boot trainer) before heading back to Nike for some Air Force 180 boots. I then started doing cross country running so went for Nike's ACG range, but I found the fore sole kept compressing as I don't have a very forgiving running style (heavy footed). I moved to Asics (Gel Kayano), before switching to Mizuno where I've been since the late 1990's. I still keep a cheeky pair of Adidas high tops (white with blue stripe) as I've never really lost the love for the hi top trainer. I've got about 8 pairs of Converse boots of varying colours stashed away in a cupboard too. I tend to wear Salomon's more than anything these days as trainers just feel a bit reedy and thin, but I still have a secret love of the old skool stuff!

Last edited:
I do like a nice pair of trainers actually, went through a whole load of BKs and Nike Airs during my teens, then switched to Nike Shox in my 20s, and started to wear those only for the last 15 years or so(have they been out this long?). But the last few years, there's been very few Shox that I've liked the look of, but I've settled with a pair of cheap Nike Fitsole's, nice and comfy. Getting too old to be in with the crowd these days! :laugh:

Reactions: warren_S5
I do love my Jordan spizike's. Got them in London about 5 years back, they're ace.

Unfortunately all my cool trainers just slowly became daily wearers when the kids came along. I need to replenish the stock really, but they're just so expensive. I'd rather but car parts nowadays or stuff for my bike.

Reactions: warren_S5
JJ I did go to the outlet years ago and didnt see anything decent back then, maybe another trip there is due.

My bro in law visits the US quite often, so I may get him to get me some from there, they are VERY cheap out there in the outlets.

The Salomons look pretty decent, to be honest, id never even heard of them.

I am usually a Nike fan, however recently I got some Pumas and some Adidas too.

I cant believe the prices of some of the trainers now, I used to have some Champion Hi Tops, Ewings with the basketball hanging off them, Huaraches, Jordans, even some SPX and Troop. Some of these are selling for over £100 now, which is a bit insane, wish I had kept some of the old ones now!!

Sambas and Gazelles were also faves of mine, I remember about 30 years ago my uncle was rocking a pair of Sambas and he still wears them now (not the same pair).

Reactions: voorhees
OK,
always liked my sneakers!
from adidas kick, through to puma match in the early 80's lol, i had small feet so were difficult to get!
then it was all about the british knights, troop boots and SPX in the late 80's.
then it was all about the air max, air 180's and adidas zx shoes in the 90's!
then i grew up lol!
no, only joking!
i got a job about 16 years ago at a first sport warehouse, so got discount and was able to get returned trainers for £5 a pair, so obviously used to take advantage of this and became a sneaker pimp!
i had allsorts working there, and also made a bit on the side selling these reject shoes to mates!
now, it is all about skate shoes with a nice flat sole for my mountain bike!
you cannot beat a pair of D.C.'s or vans for good pedal grip and robustness!
saying that, i just bought a pair of light lacoste for my hols in mesh material! :beerchug:

Reactions: Nilz and warren_S5
I love my trainers.. I've umpteen pairs of Nike Adidas puma and even a few pairs of DC's.. I'm not into shoes or boots but have a pair of timberlands.. I love them.. I love comfort.. Don't even wear work boots as they kill me feet..

I genuinely have more trainers, shoes and work boots than my mrs !
Loads of Nike all varieties, few Adidas , five pairs of Lacoste some converse, then shoes and work boots , my best work boots for good jobs, my everyday ones and my lightweight ones for summer all dewalt as I'm sad..........

Sean

Love them, i just can't bring myself to spend £95 on airmax, I've just bought some suede adidas, so comfy but i hardly wear them cos of the rain lol!

I'm a major trainer whore. 36 and counting.
Pictures speak a thousand words. ......

Reactions: Brodster, Nilz, Ghost and 1 other person
I got around half a dozen pairs of nikes high and mid tops, couple of custom pairs from Nike id as well, will grab a photo later. Only a couple pairs get worn regularly

Yeahh i'm a sucker for buying trainers, it doesn't help when your mates all have the same love for trainers.

It make you competitive for buying them lol.

Need my all time fav,s zx600 like in the 80's not the newer ones , had a pair of reebok's as well never seen them brought out again maroon runners sure they were a number as well

UV, im loving the Torsions and the Jordans in the middle shelf, I had a pair of those Jordans when I was at school.

What I have noticed is that the price of trainers has remained the same. I remember when I worked in the sports shop about 20 years ago and the prices of the trainers then have remained the same as they are now, which is quite interesting. Mad thing is how did I or my parents afford to spend £70+ on a pair of trainers and I hurt so much to pay that now...lol!!

I also have quite a few, but they hardly get worn due to the weather here!!

Reactions: Ultra Violent
Cheers Nilz.

There ZX8000, real ***** to get a hold off. Got them on the 20th Anniversary of them being released.
Makes me feel well old, considering I had a pair when they first came out.
Seen them on Fleabay going for us much as £300 now. Thats just crazy!!!

The Jordans are 6's, again got them on the Anniversary release.
Theres also Air 90's and 95's, about 8 DC's, Etnies, Vans etc.

Mrs gets a bit cheesed when I keep buying sneaks. :whip:
Just can't help it.
Quite like the look of the new ZX Flux, bringing back the Torsion to the next generation.

I remember the ZX8000s when they first came out too, I remember the Torsions, Reebok Pump and Puma Disc, being the big thing all around the same time.

Trainer prices are crazy nowadays, there is a place in Brum city Centre that has trainers that I had as a kid for £600+!!!

The trainers I had I chucked too and they were not even in that bad condition, it was only because a new pair came on the scene...lol!!!

Wish Id kept them now.

I used to always have the latest trainers out from Nike tbh- not really touched many other brands or makes....

Spend thousands on trainers in in the last 10 years also :-\

Gone through the whole Nike Shox days....the ones on the heal and then total shox- think I had at least 6 pairs of those in total.

Then I got the bug for Nike air....started of with 360s and now I have ended up on Air Max 90s.....currently have 5 pairs in use with a pair of low cut dunks for mucking about in and low Jordans for garden work lol.

I used to go up to Nottingham and Bethnal Green just for trainer shopping some many years ago.

A few trainers I'm sort of proud to still own are -

1 set of official Ice Creams in baby blue and pink as shown in this link -

REEBOK ICE CREAM PHARRELL WILLIAMS BOARD FLIP 2 SNEAKERS PROMO

1 set of Nike air max 95/360 hybrids that I got for £28 in the sale at the Nike outlet store by me (Ashford). I was mainly proud at the price as they were still in season when I purchased them and weren't the easiest to find....let alone find them for that price and my size!

'Bacon' edition ;-)

Nike Air Max 95 360 Bacon · Fresh sneakers and vintage trainers. IN SNEAKERS WE TRUST

And finally I went up to Oxford Street's Nike town back in 2008 and had an appointment with a designer up there and was able to design my own trainers and I even have a little credit card sized card with the image of my shoe on it! lol.....
£140 for that privilege for a pair of Air max 90s! Crazy money really looking back some 6 years ago but the whole Nike ID was pretty new and the store was the only one in the UK that you could make and design them in house and with a designer with patterns/colours you couldn't get anywhere else. Now that was a long 4-6 weeks wait on delivery! lol

I did actually get rushed to design mine as a certain Carlos Tevez came in just after us - got a random smile and nod from him which was pretty cool :) (probably saying - thanks for leaving on time you scrote! lol)

I purchased a pair of converse trainers last year and sent them back as I didn't like the look or feel on my feet tbh....not sure if I will ever grow out of 90s now :-\

Reactions: Nilz and Ultra Violent
I havent been to Nike Town yet, really need to get there!!

Im hopefully going to the Nike outlet in the next couple of weeks as its my Bday, so may treat myself :)

Im very much a Nike fan as well and you can really tell the difference when you have a pair of Nike Airs on as opposed to even a normal pair of Nikes.

Reactions: kwistof
I used to make trips up to Nike Town specifically around the release dates of trainers and clothing (sad I know).....but I was one of those....

'Have to have it first' kind of people- even if it cost me £60+ in train fares or fuel to get them before others could! haha

Which Nike outlet will you be going to?

The one in Ashford outlet is amazing at times as they have sample rails where there is literally a handful of items of clothing and sometimes trainers they produce that don't make it into the main high street shops. It's a bit hit and miss though because sometimes I could spend an hour or two in there and others a few minutes.

I find that with driving dude....when I put none Nike's or non Air Max's on I can tell the difference....I think my next set of shoes will be some Sparco driving shoes though :eyebrows: as I am starting to ruin my 90s with the amount of distance I cover in the motor

.I think my next set of shoes will be some Sparco driving shoes though :eyebrows: as I am starting to ruin my 90s with the amount of distance I cover in the motor

I have 2prs of Oakley race boots that I wear when driving distances, one blue pair one black pair. Had them about 12 years, battered to f**k but still comfortable. Absolutely crap for walking in though.

Kwistof, I will probably go to the one in West Brom (Birmingham way)

I dont really do long distance driving that much, so dont have a need, but as mentioned it does make a difference, even more noticable when being dragged around the shops with the other half!!

Haha!!!!

Thanks mate ;)

Nothing wrong with that!! LOL

Ive always been a big fan of trainers (the type you wear on your feet) :)

When I was younger I used to work in a local independent sports shop that had contacts with all the big brands, so we would always get the latest trainers on the street and that made my interest in trainers grow even more.

Now nearly 20 years on, all the trainers I used to buy and have thrown away are coming back, but at ridiculous prices.

Currently on my buying list are Nike Air Huaraches, which were probably one of my best trainers EVER!

Anyone else on here into their trainers/footwear??

Nike Air Huaraches! I couldn't believe it when I saw them in Footlocker a couple of days ago. I'm seriously considering getting a pair.

Back in the day I also used to work in the trainer department at JD Sports. I think I had all the Nike Air styles through the years, Reebok Pump with the gas filled canisters, Adidas Torsions, the lot!

I was originally going to buy a pair of Nike Air with the air visible through the entire sole, but they are £130!! I don't suppose I'll get staff discount any more!!

Just seen this! great to see there's plenty of guys here into their trainers!
I'm quite big into them myself lost count how many pairs I have but it's somewhere in the region of 80-90 mostly adidas - favourites being Trimm Trabbs, Munchen's, Gazelle's and speziel's then a few adidas Y3, puma 96 hours and maybe 20 Nikes -mostly air max 1's/180's and a few 90's. My twin brothers into Huaraches but I'm not a massive fan myself

Last edited:
People are going crazy over Huaraches at the mo!!!

Although I remember I did when they were out first time round.