Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 98
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Jeremy Clarkson, will he get the sack?

  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6

    Jeremy Clarkson, will he get the sack?

    Turns out he's used the word nigger in a rhyme and its caused uproar.

    Video: Watch Jeremy Clarkson Use N-Word In Unseen Top Gear Footage!!! - YouTube



    His public apology video :

    Jeremy Clarkson Begs Forgiveness Over N-Word Footage | VIDEO - YouTube


    Society completely overreact at everything now days if you ask me, if he gets sacked its an absolute joke!

    thoughts?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kings Lynn
    Posts
    901
    nah very doubtful. He's jsut been cleared of the Japanese car comment and that was blatant enough lol. He will be ok. If he does it would indeed be a joke cos I doubt he is a racist. At least he'd have a nice fortune to retire on early if it happens i guess...
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s

    Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Witney, Oxford
    Posts
    238

    My Social Networking

    Follow oufc1976 On Twitter
    I hope not. Top Gear is my life!
    8V A3 Saloon 2.0 TDi S-Line. Daytona Grey. SD Sat Nav. Privacy Glass.

  5. #4
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    2,003
    Just goes to prove the loony left that run the BBC have it in for him and are looking for anyway possible to make his life difficult.
    It was a rush, an out take, an unused version of what was aired, this is cutting room floor stuff.

    So, who dug it up, made it public, and why?
    Terry simons likes this.

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  6. #5
    jdp1962's Avatar
    Grumpy Old Man

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Cruising on a mountain of torque
    Posts
    5,678
    Quote Originally Posted by sidibear View Post
    Just goes to prove the loony left that run the BBC have it in for him and are looking for anyway possible to make his life difficult.
    It was a rush, an out take, an unused version of what was aired, this is cutting room floor stuff.

    So, who dug it up, made it public, and why?
    Daily Mirror, I think.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals


  7. #6
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kings Lynn
    Posts
    901
    Question is..do the BBC want to lose millions of viewers for something so stupid, that is not even proven to be 100% correct, NOPE
    45bvtc likes this.
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s

    Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

  8. #7
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourmx View Post
    Society completely overreact at everything now days if you ask me
    To say it's an overreaction is an under reaction on your part. But that's another discussion in itself.


    Quote Originally Posted by Av4nt View Post
    If he does it would indeed be a joke cos I doubt he is a racist.
    Whether he is a racist or not is irrelevant.


    Quote Originally Posted by sidibear View Post
    It was a rush, an out take, an unused version of what was aired, this is cutting room floor stuff.
    Also irrelevant. Just because it was never aired has nothing to do with it. It was during work, not in his own time.




    I'm not saying he should be sacked, but the BBC's hands could be tied on this one and have no choice other than to get rid of him.

    Let's be honest, it's another thing he shouldn't have said (well, kind of said) in a long line of other things he shouldn't have said.
    If the BBC sack him then I can understand why. They can't be seen as overlooking it, and are probably crapping themselves wondering what the next thing he'll eventually say will be.

    He's done three takes so he can use a poem that he and most people know carries a racist word in it - probably the most notorious racist word there is. So I think it's very poor judgement on his part to attempt to use it in a TV show that will be seem by millions.

    I like the guy, and watching his apology video, feel sorry for him - but being such a high profile TV personality he really needs to think about what 'jokes' he should and shouldn't make.

  9. #8
    45bvtc's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,295
    Ok, I'm 70 next birthday: I don't look my age, don't feel my age, and certainly don't act my age! But having lived through a period where the said rhyme was in common use, and others of a similar ilk; and having witnessed the invasion of political correctness being applied to issues that to me were never of any concern (and I've worked underground, on the factory floor, and in the boardroom), I do think there are more issues to worry about than this.

    I for one like Clarkson, he does seem to broadcast his most inner thoughts, and is to me very funny: and in this case, I believe his reasoning.

    And YES! I used to have a Robertson's golly as an infant, and a Muffin The Mule, and he was just that for me, then: I also went to school with others of differing nationalities and it was never an issue, so why do we make it an issue now...
    dragon, Alex C, CHEZ and 3 others like this.

  10. #9
    jdp1962's Avatar
    Grumpy Old Man

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Cruising on a mountain of torque
    Posts
    5,678
    I'm with Ads on this.

    There is a danger with any media personality who build their reputation on being "edgy" and that over time, their belief in their own invincibility takes over from their ability to judge where the edge lies. In effect, they become a cariacature of themselves, and the only way to sustain the illusion is to keep pushing.

    JC has been to the edge - and stepped beyond it - so many times now that those who (like many of us on here) regard themselves as his fans are losing patience with him.

    Jezza; stop being a knob and start being a journalist again!
    Ads and Stevieb2905 like this.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals


  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wokingham, UK
    Posts
    216
    I've listened to the clip and my immediate thought was that although the phonetics of it did bear a resemblance to the word I didn't think it was a deliberate attempt to use the word covertly.

    The subsequent Clarkson explanation for it seems to bear that out so, for me, I'll treat it as an unintentional set of sounds he used and I suspect he won't lose his job over this.

    Reading that back it sounds like an apologists attempt to cover for him but I promise it isn't, and it is just my opinion.
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

  12. #11
    s3dave's Avatar
    TFSI Hybrid

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    west yorks
    Posts
    10,121
    Totally unacceptable but obviously they new that, it does seem to be about more of late, and i blame the African-American rap types that seem to love using it on a daily basis in song and sentence...

  13. #12
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek5 View Post
    I've listened to the clip and my immediate thought was that although the phonetics of it did bear a resemblance to the word I didn't think it was a deliberate attempt to use the word covertly.

    The subsequent Clarkson explanation for it seems to bear that out so, for me, I'll treat it as an unintentional set of sounds he used and I suspect he won't lose his job over this.

    Reading that back it sounds like an apologists attempt to cover for him but I promise it isn't, and it is just my opinion.

    I'm afraid that his apology says exactly the opposite and blows your theory out of the water....


    He admits that he was... "well aware of the racist word in the best known version of the rhyme which I was extremely keen to avoid".

    He then went on to say... "in two of the takes I mumbled where the offensive word would occur".

    Then he says... "later I realised that in one of the mumbled versions it sounds like I've used the word that I was trying to obscure".


    I'm not sure his apology has done him any favours, to be honest.

  14. #13
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,164
    Irrespective of what was said / wasn't said / might have been said, the nature of the human condition is what amazes me more than anything.

    I really struggle to get my head round people taking such overt offence to pretty much everything. Society seems conditioned to want to object and be in uproar about every slightly suspect soundbite, insinuation or action of anyone who managed to get onto that shiny screen in the corner of the living room. We've never lived in more moderate times in the UK, and yet every time I turn the TV on there is someone demanding an apology off someone for something whether it be race related, politically motivated, or something else.

    My view is that Clarkson isn't the sort of bloke to want to insight racial hatred or offence (in say the same way a UKIP MP might). A fuzzy haired middle aged idiot makes a verbal blunder and now all the life value that's gone before is irrelevant and he must pay with his job and reputation (and who decides to what level)? Maybe if he was a footballer he'd get away with it as they do kick a bag of air so very well.

    I personally don't want anyone (including rappers) mentioning that word on TV, but likewise whilst I'd caution against it at all costs I think we have much bigger pending social problems heading in our direction than this idiot.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wokingham, UK
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    Then he says... "later I realised that in one of the mumbled versions it sounds like I've used the word that I was trying to obscure".
    This bit was my point though - he realised that the mumbled portion sounded like the original but he had not intended it to do so, just that the chosen mumbling sounds ended up sounding like it.

    That's my take on it anyway.

    If he really did intend to disguise the 'n' word by mumbling it then that's a different story and is not acceptable, but I don't think he did intend to use that word.
    S5 Black Edition, Estoril Blue, Tech pack advanced, full complement of Drive Select plus a few other bits and bobs.

  16. #15
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrek5 View Post
    This bit was my point though - he realised that the mumbled portion sounded like the original but he had not intended it to do so, just that the chosen mumbling sounds ended up sounding like it.

    That's my take on it anyway.

    If he really did intend to disguise the 'n' word by mumbling it then that's a different story and is not acceptable, but I don't think he did intend to use that word.
    Just so it's clear.... I don't think he's racist.... I don't think he said it to offend... I don't think he should lose his job... I don't think people should send him death threats.... I don't think he should be killed by the press.

    I just think he should have thought about / should think about what he says before saying it. He's big and ugly enough to know what (rightly or wrongly) lights the touchpaper these days.



    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    Irrespective of what was said / wasn't said / might have been said, the nature of the human condition is what amazes me more than anything.

    I really struggle to get my head round people taking such overt offence to pretty much everything. Society seems conditioned to want to object and be in uproar about every slightly suspect soundbite, insinuation or action of anyone who managed to get onto that shiny screen in the corner of the living room. We've never lived in more moderate times in the UK, and yet every time I turn the TV on there is someone demanding an apology off someone for something whether it be race related, politically motivated, or something else.
    It's this sort of view^^^ that worries me most.


    There are two specific camps when it comes to being offended by a racist, sexist, etc etc comment:

    One camp is full of people who just want to jump on the bandwagon and complain for the drama or because they know/think it's wrong but don't really appreciate why. This camp includes the media, in my opinion.

    The other camp is full of people who have been affected by 'the comment' throughout their lives in some way, and are justified in taking exception to hearing it.


    But what happens is - the first camp of people (the more vocal camp) shout and scream about this sort of thing at every opportunity and cause everyone else who is not in any of the camps to feel like pretty much what you have expressed in your post.

    Loads of times I have seen or heard someone who is justifiably offended by a racist/sexist/etc comment being dismissed as playing the race/sex/etc card. And this is mainly because of the amount of complaints that happen now days, and people are understandably tired of hearing about the same old thing again and again - and write it off as "here we go again".


    Basically, the REAL issues get lost among (and lessened by) all of the hype.



    But anyway.... LINK

  17. #16
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,164
    I think you're right Ads, I am at danger of being fatigued and emotionally de-sensitised by sensationalists who are determined to make news out of acts of gross stupidity rather than genuinely subversive actions. The risk of this is that it's effectively 'crying wolf', and as a result it distracts from bigger / more emotive issues.

    I see so much unpleasantry in the world these days, an old t**t muttering a subjective noise (possibly in error) doesn't even really hit my radar when I some of the atrocities going on.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  18. #17
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Huddersfield
    Posts
    14
    Ever heard the phrase 'people in glass houses.....' etc?
    Last edited by Adrian888; 2nd May 2014 at 13:30.
    eh tu!

  19. #18
    Artsa's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chepstow
    Posts
    157
    It's ok for gangsta rappers to use the N word, but if a white boy honky uses it then hes a racist... FFS!!!

    Who really gives a flying one...

    Much respect to the big man JC!!!

    Keep doing what you do Mr Clarkson, Legend!!!

    Peace...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzdcbO3XkGM
    Turkster, fletch, CHEZ and 2 others like this.

  20. #19
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,906
    Another well known name getting the sack for saying something he shouldn't have (Andy Gray)

  21. #20
    6th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    2,613

    My Social Networking

    Follow MartayMcFly On Twitter Visit MartayMcFly's Youtube Channel Visit MartayMcFly's Instagram Channel
    I'm a big JC fan, and at the same time against the stupid direction of 'staged, edgy humour' Top Gear has been leaning towards. The biggest issue here (for me anyway) is the stupid, constant political correctness and over-sensitive reaction of everyone to everything. The vast majority of complaints around these sorts of things is old people sat at home with nothing better to do, or online forums/commenters with no requirement of accountability or even effort to "be outraged" and "demand action".

    Bottom line - if you're offended by anything then that's your problem. Unless someone is knowingly saying something overly personal explicitly to get a reaction out of you (then it's fair there should be a direct consequence for the 'attacker'), then be offended all you want but keep it to your self.
    dragon, 45bvtc, DAYTONA500 and 2 others like this.
    Hunt is over

    1st Audi - 2001 Ming Blue 8L S3 210
    2nd Audi - 2008 Black 8P2 S3 3dr
    and now - 2007 Daytona Grey B7 RS4 saloon

  22. #21
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kings Lynn
    Posts
    901
    Well im sorry but you cant even make the word out ffs. cannot even be proven so how can he be sacked just because its in the "common" rhyme. Most children use the word TIGER or TIGGER ... sounds pretty much the same if you mumble it. what a load of utter bull this world is.

    Whatever next. infact its happened with the whole muslim and Subway scenario. Realy ffs?

    everything is getting just totally ridiculous. Soon enough one will not be able to step outside their own home without someone kicking up a fuss.

    I say start world war 3 and nuke the earth. Job Done
    Artsa and Fourmx like this.
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s

    Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

  23. #22
    sidibear's Avatar
    Looking for Zombies !!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    2,003
    The Mirror got in some specialists to review it and even they were only 75% certain.

    Shows how hard someone is trying to give him a bad name. Its a witch hunt, pure and simple.
    Av4nt, Artsa and Shrek5 like this.

    JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

  24. #23
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by 45bvtc View Post
    Ok, I'm 70 next birthday: I don't look my age, don't feel my age, and certainly don't act my age! But having lived through a period where the said rhyme was in common use, and others of a similar ilk; and having witnessed the invasion of political correctness being applied to issues that to me were never of any concern (and I've worked underground, on the factory floor, and in the boardroom), I do think there are more issues to worry about than this.

    I for one like Clarkson, he does seem to broadcast his most inner thoughts, and is to me very funny: and in this case, I believe his reasoning.

    And YES! I used to have a Robertson's golly as an infant, and a Muffin The Mule, and he was just that for me, then: I also went to school with others of differing nationalities and it was never an issue, so why do we make it an issue now...
    I totally agree I used to collect the robinsons golly pins should bring them back
    45bvtc, DAYTONA500 and Artsa like this.

  25. #24
    Artsa's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chepstow
    Posts
    157
    I don't care what was or wasn't said... Which car won the Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,test? I'm gonna buy one!
    kanecullen89 and Av4nt like this.

  26. #25
    Artsa's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chepstow
    Posts
    157
    Buy one even...

  27. #26
    CHEZ's Avatar
    moderately amusing

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    just about, right here!
    Posts
    3,755
    been sitting on the fence here watching this unfold!
    and to be frank,
    a, even if he did say that word, it is just a word! you hear it all the time in films and recordings!, what is that other old rhyme again?.. oh yeah sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me!
    b, the guy, however fumbling and tongue in cheek he is/has been, has noted the potential unrest he has/could have caused here, and done his best to correct it.
    c, people are 'gona hate, always, period! so this bandwagon will always attract attention to the negative effect of such a subject.
    d, ultimately 'that' word is it really that offensive? like really? because i do not think so at all!
    just saying....
    warren_S5, dragon, 45bvtc and 2 others like this.


  28. #27
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEZ View Post
    d, ultimately 'that' word is it really that offensive? like really? because i do not think so at all!
    just saying....
    With respect, you'd never be able to appreciate the full extent of its offensiveness. Not even all black people can. It's an 'experience' thing, more than a 'colour' thing.

  29. #28
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,164
    Ads, can I ask a question. Please don't take offence at this as I'm hoping it will help me to understand better. I have a mate from Zimbabwe, a hulk of a bloke called Sitho, one of the nicest blokes I've ever met. He is black (stating the obvious here but I don't want any misinterpretation), and he refers to his mates from country of birth as my ******, and quite openly.

    Likewise rappers seem to use the same word fairly liberally. I grew up listening to Ice T / NWA / Ice Cube / Public Enemy and these guys seem quite comfortable in using the word. Track 9 of Ice T's album OG is called 'Straight up ******', and he dictates that in his opinion this is exactly what he is.

    The piece of the jigsaw I'm missing here is when does a word that is deemed 'appropriate' for use by certain ethnic groups to use between themselves become so indecently and unforgiveably offensive if used by another group? I feel a bit embarrassed I don't already know the answer to that, but then I'm not sure that many people would. If you can shed any light, but appreciate if it's a difficult subject and not one you'd wish to broach publicly. I'm a great believer knowledge is the great enlightener.
    jojo, Alex C, CHEZ and 2 others like this.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  30. #29
    CHEZ's Avatar
    moderately amusing

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    just about, right here!
    Posts
    3,755
    hardly the same that though is it?
    calling a female the ultimate derogatory personal insult is not cricket!
    for any race or creed....

    and your right Adam i cannot relate to the later as well as you know i can't mate!,
    however,
    i have mixed race, jamaican, indian, japanese, vietnamese, korean, african plus other race friends!
    they are tolerant of life's misdemeanors however harsh!
    and i would put my left testicle on the bet, if i phoned, text or said to my jamaican friend that lives in jamaica the 'n' word, he would not bat an eye lid, or take offence! he may even lol who knows?


    back on topic, though, jezza is not a racist, he is old, that is all!


  31. #30
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    Ads, can I ask a question. Please don't take offence at this as I'm hoping it will help me to understand better. I have a mate from Zimbabwe, a hulk of a bloke called Sitho, one of the nicest blokes I've ever met. He is black (stating the obvious here but I don't want any misinterpretation), and he refers to his mates from country of birth as my ******, and quite openly.

    Likewise rappers seem to use the same word fairly liberally. I grew up listening to Ice T / NWA / Ice Cube / Public Enemy and these guys seem quite comfortable in using the word. Track 9 of Ice T's album OG is called 'Straight up ******', and he dictates that in his opinion this is exactly what he is.

    The piece of the jigsaw I'm missing here is when does a word that is deemed 'appropriate' for use by certain ethnic groups to use between themselves become so indecently and unforgiveably offensive if used by another group? I feel a bit embarrassed I don't already know the answer to that, but then I'm not sure that many people would. If you can shed any light, but appreciate if it's a difficult subject and not one you'd wish to broach publicly. I'm a great believer knowledge is the great enlightener.
    The best way to answer this is to give an example...

    If you were obese you probably wouldn't have an issue commenting on another obese person's size or calling them fatty as a joke or a term of endearment... And vice versa. But if you were of an average slim build I'm guessing you wouldn't call a fat person anything like that. Or if you were fat and a slim person called you fatty you'd be offended.

    Another example... A gay guy calling another one a 'homophobic' name. A heterosexual guy probably wouldn't.

    The list goes on, there a plenty of examples.

    Think about that and you'll probably have an answer to your question.

    Going back to the word nigger... Think about the origins of the word, and how it was used by people outside of the ethnic group. That's why a non black using it has become one of the biggest no no's out there.

  32. #31
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEZ View Post
    hardly the same that though is it?
    calling a female the ultimate derogatory personal insult is not cricket!
    for any race or creed....
    I took that bit of my post out before you replied. Just thought it would open up another topic.

    But now we're on it.... Why is calling a woman the ultimate derogatory insult worse than calling a black person the ultimate derogatory insult?


    Quote Originally Posted by CHEZ View Post
    and your right Adam i cannot relate to the later as well as you know i can't mate!,
    however,
    i have mixed race, jamaican, indian, japanese, vietnamese, korean, african plus other race friends!
    they are tolerant of life's misdemeanors however harsh!
    and i would put my left testicle on the bet, if i phoned, text or said to my jamaican friend that lives in jamaica the 'n' word, he would not bat an eye lid, or take offence! he may even lol who knows?
    Maybe your friends would be ok with it, but plenty of friends out there wouldn't be.

    I'm mixed (black, white, Chinese) and I've experienced racism from all sides... from black, white and Chinese people lol.
    Racism aimed towards me doesn't bother me, I'll just give as good as I get. But I fully understand how others can be highly offended by it.

  33. #32
    CHEZ's Avatar
    moderately amusing

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    just about, right here!
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    I took that bit of my post out before you replied. Just thought it would open up another topic.

    But now we're on it.... Why is calling a woman the ultimate derogatory insult worse than calling a black person the ultimate derogatory insult?

    ok, i never said that it was worse...




    Maybe your friends would be ok with it, but plenty of friends out there wouldn't be.

    I'm mixed (black, white, Chinese) and I've experienced racism from all sides... from black, white and Chinese people lol.
    Racism aimed towards me doesn't bother me, I'll just give as good as I get. But I fully understand how others can be highly offended by it.
    ok let's get this thread back on track!


    step down malcolm X!
    jdp1962 and Ads like this.


  34. #33
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEZ View Post
    ok let's get this thread back on track!


    step down malcolm X!
    It's Mr. Luther King, if you don't mind.

  35. #34
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,164
    Fair shout Ads, I did wonder whether there may be anything more subversive about the term based around the horrific slave trading era (my knowledge of this level of history is seriously lacking), but completely take your explanation on board, so thank you.

    I'm mixed race (white - US/UK), and I grew up in Spain, but because I attended a boarding school in Britain you'd have a job to tell I'm not a fully fledge Brit! I'm not quite sure what the hell that makes me. My folks always say Mongrel!
    Last edited by warren_S5; 2nd May 2014 at 22:35.
    Ads and CHEZ like this.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  36. #35
    Nilz's Avatar
    Defo worth the wait :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,087
    I have also been sitting back and watching this too, its a difficult and delicate subject.

    When I was at school racism was quite rife and to hear a racist term against blacks and asians was quite upsetting and hurtful. Being on the receiving end of it, I can appreciate the offence it can cause some people.

    I know people that have never had to experience and cant see what the issue is with it.

    Ads gave a good example above about only being able to experience it and understand it if you are directly affected by it.

    As for Jezza, he is in the public eye, whether he likes it or not, he needs to be a bit more careful with what he says.
    warren_S5 and CHEZ like this.

  37. #36
    6th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    2,613

    My Social Networking

    Follow MartayMcFly On Twitter Visit MartayMcFly's Youtube Channel Visit MartayMcFly's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    It's Mr. Luther King, if you don't mind.
    Actually, it's Dr. King.
    CHEZ likes this.
    Hunt is over

    1st Audi - 2001 Ming Blue 8L S3 210
    2nd Audi - 2008 Black 8P2 S3 3dr
    and now - 2007 Daytona Grey B7 RS4 saloon

  38. #37
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by MartayMcFly View Post
    Actually, it's Dr. King.
    You might want to research that one.

  39. #38
    simers's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    140
    I can see why so many people are upset and annoyed by it.. His choice of phrase was well misplaced.. Back in the day when I was in school which isn't that long ago (13 yrs ago I finished) there wasn't many coloured people around.. Now the country is full of them and I see on a daily basis what that brings.. My partners father is goin out with a coloured woman and she has 2 kids from previous relationship and I hear wat people say about them.. It wrecks my head because they are the same as everyone else.. I'm not a racist by any means as I treat everyone the way I like to be treated..
    Jezzas choice of phrasing and wording leaves a lot to be desired as has already been said he is a public figure and watched all over the world.. He should be sacked IMO even tho he makes the show..

  40. #39
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kings Lynn
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by CHEZ View Post
    been sitting on the fence here watching this unfold!
    and to be frank,
    a, even if he did say that word, it is just a word! you hear it all the time in films and recordings!,.
    d, ultimately 'that' word is it really that offensive? like really? because i do not think so at all!
    just saying....
    THIS ^

    Purely because he is a celeb known to climb the borders of whats right and wrong to say on air.. the bandwagon jumpers as mentioned up above have indeed jumped on this one. Films and TV, songs etc all use this word day in day out. Most in the black communities call use it so casually toward each other that it probably goes unnoticed in most arenas.. until its a celebrity ofc..

    its been massivley overhyped its just stupid.

    PS: When I saw the clip i remember watching the actual episode and remember trying to make out the car badges and not even paying attention to what he was rhyming about. If someone actually sat and started listening to the rhyme so intently that they thought he used the word...clearly they listened so many times they eventually heard the word in their tiny brain enough to make them believe thats what he said. Load of rubbish
    Last edited by Av4nt; 3rd May 2014 at 03:14.
    CHEZ likes this.
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s

    Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

  41. #40
    Andy1608's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    York
    Posts
    518

    My Social Networking

    Visit Andy1608's Youtube Channel
    TV ratings are too good for them to sack him

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Will I be the first here to get their second A3 8V? :D
    By Vertigo1 in forum New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12th January 2014, 22:52
  2. Whats the best front components to get that will fit in the door cards
    By wesser99 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 6th April 2011, 22:41
  3. SANTA POD SUNDAY WILL I GET IN THE 15.00 S
    By shanejess in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22nd January 2011, 12:22
  4. would anyone be willing to get me a part and ship it to the us?
    By patrick swayze in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11th September 2007, 14:13
  5. Sold my car today :( Will be getting the Audi soon
    By Markb in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10th May 2004, 12:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO