evenshalshaw pendragon warrenty...

OCDetails

Reaction score
Website
www.ocdetails.co.uk
Hello, I'm unsure right place for this thread so please move to the right place if its not please.

So I bought warranty through evenshalshaw who in there paperwork don't mention the fact the use pendragon PLC for there warranty claims. Forgive me if I'm wrong but that's faulse selling? I bought this with 'peace of mind' motoring for my first car, but last year just before Christmas things started going wrong with the car.

First off was airbag faults, I had the car VCDS'ed and I still to this day have the same problem (intermittent fault open circuit), this is showing only as a passenger air bag fault. To me that says if I have a crash that airbag will not deploy even though its on in the glove compartment?.

They wiped the fault and the light did go out and is still out to this day but the fault still comes up on vcds :\. This year has now started with more faults.

Then my engine mounts and gearbox mount had worn out and was Causing horrific vibrations against the body of the car. I proceeded to check my documentation of warranty cover and it states (bushes and mounts are covered) so I proceeded to book my car in for the work but they refused to pay out... So I rang them and asked why. They said that "the bushes are inside the gearbox" at that point I laughed and said " how do work out that rubber bushes would survive inside the engine and gearbox, and what holds them into the body of the car?".

At this point my car was almost un drivable without causing damage. I then proceeded to send them my copy of warranty and the huge list of things 'supposedly covered by them'. To this day they still refuse to pay out so I ended up importing 034 motorsports engine, gearbox and snub mounts from the USA for almost half the price of OEM ones from Audi Lincoln. ( I did end up ringing trading standards and they advised I write or email them and I did. I got one reply so re emailed them and got no reply after that).

Firstly front ABS sensors showing as a fault on the vcds and showing as brake fault on DIS (only when in the wet does it show on the DIS) which to me suggests a short in the system somewhere?

Weirdly its also triggered to show on the DIS when I turn my lights on? That has confused me slightly but this Wednesday the cars going in for them to check all the faults showing that I will have on a print out tonight from vcds.

The are also some other faults showing in vcds I can't remember the exact faults but will be getting my friend the scan it and print the results tonight ready to accompany my car to the garage on Wednesday as I know they do not have vcds or a means of fault diagnosing themselves.

So my question is has anyone else had dealings with both company's and warranty work and what happened? Also and advise if they refuse to pay out this time?

The company's full name is Pendragon Motor Group Limited. It is a massive conglomerate that trades under a wide range of different names, including many of the Evans Halshaw branches. So, it's not false selling simply on the basis of the company name.

As far as your rejected claims are concerned, the decision whether to pay a claim is a decision for the warranty policy provider (i.e. the insurance company) to make. That is usually a different business from the business that sold the policy (usually the car dealer).

If you think the policy has been mis-sold, you should complain to the business that sold it, asking that you be put in the position you would be in if the policy had not been sold (i.e. cancellation of cover from the date it was taken out and the refund of the premium you paid for the policy). If you're not happy with the response, you can refer the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

If you don't think the warranty policy was mis-sold, but are unhappy with the decision to reject your claim, you need to complain to the insurer, and again to the Financial Ombudsman Service if not happy with the response you get from the business first.

Two things to remember:

1) The Financial Ombudsman Service won't look at a complaint unless you've complained to the business first.
2) You can't bring a mis-selling complaint and a claim complaint simultaneously. That's because the two are mutually exclusive. If you're saying the warranty policy was mis-sold, your position is that you shouldn't have had the warranty policy to begin with (so wouldn't have been in a position to claim). Conversely, if you're complaining that the warranty should have paid out on your claim, your position is that you wanted the cover and chose to buy it.

Reactions: OCDetails
P.S.

In addition to Pendragon Motor Group Limited, there is also Pendragon Finance & Insurance Services Limited. It's possible that's the name of the insurance company that provides your warranty cover. It's still a separate business from Pendragon Motor Group Limited, although I susepct both are owned by the same holding company, Pendragon plc.

Last edited:
The company's full name is Pendragon Motor Group Limited. It is a massive conglomerate that trades under a wide range of different names, including many of the Evans Halshaw branches. So, it's not false selling simply on the basis of the company name.

As far as your rejected claims are concerned, the decision whether to pay a claim is a decision for the warranty policy provider (i.e. the insurance company) to make. That is usually a different business from the business that sold the policy (usually the car dealer).

If you think the policy has been mis-sold, you should complain to the business that sold it, asking that you be put in the position you would be in if the policy had not been sold (i.e. cancellation of cover from the date it was taken out and the refund of the premium you paid for the policy). If you're not happy with the response, you can refer the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

If you don't think the warranty policy was mis-sold, but are unhappy with the decision to reject your claim, you need to complain to the insurer, and again to the Financial Ombudsman Service if not happy with the response you get from the business first.

Two things to remember:

1) The Financial Ombudsman Service won't look at a complaint unless you've complained to the business first.
2) You can't bring a mis-selling complaint and a claim complaint simultaneously. That's because the two are mutually exclusive. If you're saying the warranty policy was mis-sold, your position is that you shouldn't have had the warranty policy to begin with (so wouldn't have been in a position to claim). Conversely, if you're complaining that the warranty should have paid out on your claim, your position is that you wanted the cover and chose to buy it.

So would you say that because I've complained to them 2x I can now go to the ombudsmen and follow that route?

I think if they try bail out of fixing the problems that have come up recently I.e abs sensor and other control moduals then I'll be taking them to the courts as the stuff that's coming up on vcds is not general wear and tear issues.

Well, at the moment, I suspect you haven't actually made a complaint at all. What you've done, by the sound to it, is tried to claim twice, and been turned down both times. First off, you need to decide what your complaint is. As I said in the earlier post, if it is that your claims should have been paid, then the complaint is against the warranty policy provider; i.e an insurance company. If you want to complain that the warranty was mis-sold, then the complaint is against whoever sold it to you, probably the car dealer you bought the car from.

Once you've decided what your complaint is, make it in writing to the relevant business, and ask for a final response. The business then has eight weeks to provide a response that either resolves your complaint to your satisfaction or gives you referral rights to go to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Well, at the moment, I suspect you haven't actually made a complaint at all. What you've done, by the sound to it, is tried to claim twice, and been turned down both times. First off, you need to decide what your complaint is. As I said in the earlier post, if it is that your claims should have been paid, then the complaint is against the warranty policy provider; i.e an insurance company. If you want to complain that the warranty was mis-sold, then the complaint is against whoever sold it to you, probably the car dealer you bought the car from.

Once you've decided what your complaint is, make it in writing to the relevant business, and ask for a final response. The business then has eight weeks to provide a response that either resolves your complaint to your satisfaction or gives you referral rights to go to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Sorry yes I have made 2 formal complaints to this company the first time they replied via letter. I then replied back to them again arguing and providing a copy of my agreement word for word and highlighted the specific parts that are covered and what I was claiming for (they didn't relpy after that.

ATM I'm waiting on what they say about these current problems that vcds has picked up, as non of them class as wear and tear parts they should be done under the warranty from what I can see. But I'm not holding my breath after last time.

My argument is that my documents that list over 600 parts say that the things that have so far gone wrong are covered but there not willing to take the work on as there list is supposedly different to mine.

Sorry yes I have made 2 formal complaints to this company the first time they replied via letter. I then replied back to them again arguing and providing a copy of my agreement word for word and highlighted the specific parts that are covered and what I was claiming for (they didn't relpy after that.

ATM I'm waiting on what they say about these current problems that vcds has picked up, as non of them class as wear and tear parts they should be done under the warranty from what I can see. But I'm not holding my breath after last time.

My argument is that my documents that list over 600 parts say that the things that have so far gone wrong are covered but there not willing to take the work on as there list is supposedly different to mine.

Maybe best to call the ombudsman and get them take down your details and give you some guidance on what to do next.