Third Generation Mobiles (3G)

lost_it

Reaction score
This is just a spot poll for personal information (not afiliated with my work)

How many of you think they will take up 3g phones (with its streaming video and high data through puts etc...),

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1059462470lost_it">

3g Mobiles
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />yes
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />no
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Its the same old story with technology everytime. Just look how long DVD players took to really take off.

At the moment, the only *true* provider is '3'. I think that I will wait at least another 12 months. Personally I prefer a smaller mobile and the ones available from NEC are too large. I also think it will take a long time to catch on.

I will wait for the technology to be established and come down to a reasonable price. I believe that every mobile will be 3G in 3-5 years. I am just unsure if I have a requirement for 3G.... digital photos.. I have got a good digital camera, will the cameras in phones ever be as good? I think not. Streaming video, can't really see the point.

This is an interesting one!

As soon as the big 3 providers role out their service it will sky rocket. As I understand it at the moment the video service really only works in London and Birmingham and all in between /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

However when the players tart their service they will offer great udgrade deals to get you onto the expensive video tariffs, i for one will sign up when it comes out nationwide on Orange.

It will be a while until the big 3 launch it because they want everyone to get onto picture messaging first then video is the next natural step.

see the map below the pink areas are where you get video services!

3 off my mates have them and there w@nk!! Big time can never get hold off them!!
But i do like the goals and othe stuff!!

sorry but I dont understand A thing you just said.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DaveCav said:
3 off my mates have them and there w@nk!! Big time can never get hold off them!!
But i do like the goals and othe stuff!!

[/ QUOTE ]

When the phones aren't in a '3' service area then they revert to O2.

I actually thought the phones were quite good bearing in mind that the technology has only been available in the public domain for a short while. For what its worth I found the NEC phone far better to use/navigate than the Sharp, cant remember the model numbers. Then again, I do work for the company that owns Three... me biased.. never /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

What I'm waiting for is a decent handset to come out.

The one I'm waiting for is the Sony Ericsson Z1010 - should be out this quarter some time.

-- james

According to the grapevine Orange have already got their 3g network up and running, just no subscribers as yet - they're launching in 2004 sometime.

I think the big advantage of 3g will be fast data services - broadband on a phone.

I work away a lot and if I can do my work on my laptop at broadband speeds then that's got to be a good thing in my opinion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Alex.

Hopsta - you work for Hutchinson?

Supposing there was a person working for Orange who was really ****** off with their jobs - would you know of any jobs going in Hutch?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Alex.

I work Hutchison Ports which is owned by the same company ( Hutchison Whampoa) as H3G. We get some form of discount on the 3G handsets and my colleages have been testing the 3G side for over a year in a live environment.

As for jobs... i'm hoping for a transfer to our port in the Bahamas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Three have a careers section on their site click here

Graham