which car to choose?

205man

Reaction score
Since ive had a company my girlfriend sold her peugeot 206 gti and used my audi as it made sense and she liked driving it.

but now she wants to sell it as we have had it almost 9 years and its done 150,000ish miles. So she wants something newer with less miles etc.

she has narrowed her choice to the following 3 cars

Audi a4 2.0 tdi tdv se avant 2006 plate with 98,000 miles on clock
Renaultsport megane CUP edition 2007 plate 56,000 on clock
Audi a3 2.0 tdi dsg 2005 plate with 84,000

All cost approx the same and i like all 3 but the a3 would be my last choice due to colour mainly lol. THey also all come from garages not private which what she insisting

I really like the renaultsport megane as it looks good has fairly low miles 1 owner etc and is still quick so she wouldnt miss the performance of my audi. And it would probably be one id pick if i was having to choose as we have my company car for everyday day use etc and she drives on lot b roads so thought would be more sporty and fun

But what do you guys think........ ps if it was me though id wait but i got feeling she tired of looking and really doesnt want to travel to far to buy and she wants to swap asap

Last edited:
Tough one. I suppose it depends what your drivers are.

My immediate choice would be the Megane despite its low rent cabin as it's the only car there that will put much of a smile on your face. However if your doing big miles one of the diseasels may be better.

One of our family members has just sold an A3 TDi '08 (170PS - 58k miles) as he had endless expensive issues with it. DPF regen issues, wiring loom disintegration, sensor issues, he was literally getting some form of dash light every other week. Car looked tidy but after 8 months they waved the white flag and chopped it in for a Cooper S. He may have just had a bad one, but it may be worth a full AA/RAC inspection if you go the TDi route.

She doesnt do huge miles probably less than 10,000 a year and after driving my audi she is used to poor fuel economy.
Both the audis are 140bhp engines so that why i think she will miss the extra grunt especially on twisty b roads etc

She doesnt do huge miles probably less than 10,000 a year and after driving my audi she is used to poor fuel economy.
Both the audis are 140bhp engines so that why i think she will miss the extra grunt especially on twisty b roads etc

I'll throw in a curved ball here, I have a mate who is selling a brand new Pug 208 GTI, pre registered zero miles. The issue is that it's a cat C write off, but here's the good news, it has not suffered any damage what so ever, it was in a compound that was flooded, and a whole batch of cars were written off, but this Pug was dry, it was stood in less than 4" of water. It's had to have an MOT & VOSA test which have been done, and it's now for sale, list price £19k, this one much cheaper, let me know if you're interested.