24 HEURES DU MANS 2014 - Who is going ?

Anthony566

Reaction score
So as this is the largest UK attended motor event in the world who will be going this year ??

Will be passing through on the way back to the Caen ferry from a biking holiday in the Pyrenees, might look in if time allows. Roll on June.

Haven't been since 2012, and tempted to turn up this year.

I might consider going. I've driven through it twice on the way or returning from holiday; in fact we stayed there last year...but never for the races. The town itself is very quaint. My father is up for it as well, so I might see if I can get a car load.

Where do most people stay?

I'm not sure I will be able to encourage him to camp! There's a couple of hotels nearby, but I'm guessing they book up pretty quick!

I'm not sure I will be able to encourage him to camp! There's a couple of hotels nearby, but I'm guessing they book up pretty quick!

Yes they do :(

the camping is quite good the shower blocks have running hot water all day and night and if you go well equipped its a party weekend :thrashi::yahoo::beerchug::yahoo:

Yes I'll be going this year for my first time ever and I cannot wait :)

I'll be catching the night ferry from Portsmouth - Caen on the Tuesday and returning on the Monday via the Channel Tunnnel.

Wednesday I'll be setting up camp at 'Houx Annexe' and on the 'mad Friday' I will be attending the Pistonhead service they have going on.

I will be taking my 14 year old Noggy S3 down there along with a convoy of other cars - I should have some ASN stickers on by then, so keep an eye out :yahoo:

When we went in 2012 we drove up from Azay Le Rideau (120kms) as my wife said flatly she wouldn't camp. We set off at 04:45 to get to Le Mans for 06:00, and when we got to the car parks there were french guys coming up to the car and banging on the windows asking for food (I speak a bit of french so got the general gist). Most seemed ****** up, and to be honest when we'd just rocked up bleary eyed it was a bit oppressive first thing in the morning.

We eventually found somewhere quiet to park then got to the toilets outside the start finish straight, and god did you need a strong stomach to use them first thing in the morning.

Don't get me wrong, we had a fantastic time once we were inside the track limits, but it's really put us off camping overnight. I've been told we can go again, but we have to get offsite accommodation. Shame as it's all part of the Le Mans experience to camp overnight, but I partly get why the missus found it a bit full on before her first cup of coffee!

Some happy memories of 2012 in picture form:

DSC_5033.JPG

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_5064.JPG

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_5445.JPG

Reactions: 45bvtc and kwistof
Respect for the Mrs even going along Warren! lol. Was that the Friday you turned up by any chance?

The groups of lads I'm going with its their 10th year in camping.....they have 1 strict rule they have followed throughout - NO WOMEN allowed to come :laugh:

It's a total lads on tour holiday for us.....lots of beer, little sleep, :drool: the promo girls and surrounded by the most advanced racing cars in the world battling it out for 24 hours! lol.

Reactions: Sandra, warren_S5 and Anthony566
Tickets, Camping and holidays at work are all booked ..... just need to book the tunnel now :)

Well it's almost here ............

Stickers are ordered and should arrive ready for the weekend install :)

1 Week today and I'll be heading of on the overnight ferry...

Cannot wait :)

Won't be stickering the S3 up as I had an unexpected repair bill come about last month....it's not like I have a colour that blends in - Oh and I will have my ASN stickers on the rear windows :D

I'm heading across on the ferry next Friday, so I'm half tempted to drop in (albeit it we're heading in a different direction), might turn up to watch the opening couple of hours as last time we only caught the finish. Only thing is I'm less enamoured by rolling starts, I know they're safe, but the herringbone starting grid set up used to present so much entertainment and didn't cause too many hideous accidents. Can understand them not wanting drivers running across the track, but in the 70's they sat in the cars and then fired off:
article-2182161-00D252B500000190-128_634x466.jpg

Scrap the idea of going Saturday as all the tickets are gone, it's Sunday or nothing! Will have to see if the wife will let us amend our holiday plans.

90 Euros for two entry tickets isn't bad, but nearly 500 euros each for a pit pass is a bit ripe for a day (not so bad if you're there all week).

I remember last time we were there, as we were 'pietons' you were promptly corralled away from anything interesting by arsey security folk so fancied a bit more access, but not at that price.

I get the 75 euro week pass and you get to the pits every day apart from race day .....

I am still trying to work out where to put my Audi Sport.net stickers as I have a saloon ......

Last edited:
Tough call on the stickers as I suppose the rear quarters are too small.

I'll have a look for that pass but I suppose given Saturday is a 'race day' even if we get there at 6am it's unlikely we'll be allowed in on the day?

Will be my second time going to the race, I loved every minute of it last time but just haven't been able to afford it since! Im counting down the days haha!

Good to see the audi-sport.net sticker is on Tom. Anthony, get your sticker on, lol. Chris, you will have a great time. Im so looking forward to all the pics guys. :) x

OK, so I didn't go, BUT I did give it 24-hours in the armchair, and on the floor during the early hours...

What an event! What a race! What a challenge!

For me the best sporting event of the year.

Engineering, engineering, engineering...

Reactions: kwistof
So I went....

OMG at the whole experience....first day back at work for me and still recovering.

I took around 250 pictures and 50 videos....I will create a wee thread shortly with a small story of my first time at Le Mans and also first time drive abroad.

I am already planning to go next year and has to be one of the best experiences and trips of my life - well done to Audi as well for showing the Jap and Porsche team on how a 24hr endurance race is won :kissmyrings: (it was tense at times but didn't give up hope and flying my Audi flag with pride :D )

Reactions: 45bvtc and Sandra
So I went....

OMG at the whole experience....first day back at work for me and still recovering.

I took around 250 pictures and 50 videos....I will create a wee thread shortly with a small story of my first time at Le Mans and also first time drive abroad.

I am already planning to go next year and has to be one of the best experiences and trips of my life - well done to Audi as well for showing the Jap and Porsche team on how a 24hr endurance race is won :kissmyrings: (it was tense at times but didn't give up hope and flying my Audi flag with pride :D )

Glad you had a good time Chris, cant wait for the write up and the pics and videos. :) x