Volks AutosSky Insurance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: What's the Furthest You've Driven in a Day?

4th Gear

Status

What's the Furthest You've Driven in a Day?

Planning on driving to Europe maybe at the end of the year or a year from now. Google Maps says the destination is just shy of 1,000 miles door to door. I used to drive 1,000 miles a week in a job when I was younger, but in a day that might be a different story. My wife doesn't drive (selfish...) so it would all be me. I know you might say why don't you just fly, but we would be taking the dogs (pet passport etc). They're used to the car and are cool with travelling, we regularly do 600 mile round trips to see family etc over a weekend.

Any Ring veterans driven there by themselves from the northeast or further north? Is 1,000 miles in a day a bit much? It takes around 4.5 hours to get to Kent from here, then there's a chance to get a break on the ferry/tunnel so I can't see it being that bad. Hate driving on the left, though
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport AUM K03S|Second owner|Forge 007p|CM TIP|Yellow Dogbone|Pipercross panel|Stage1Map
    WANTED: Audi A4 B7 or MK5 5Dr Golf GTi (manual)(Want to Buy December 2014 so Keep Me in Mind)

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Andy1608's Youtube Channel
    ive drove 3000 miles in 6 days round europe

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    1k is doable in a day
    but not very nice
    when i moved a mate from south wales back up to sheffield
    i did 3 return trips in a van 1260 miles and was done for sunday at 4pm back in sheffield from starting in sheffield at 6am saturday
    JudderMan likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Longest drive in one day was 900miles Newcastle to Saint-Etienne (just south of Lyon) that was via euro tunnel.
    JudderMan likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    Longest drive in one day was 900miles Newcastle to Saint-Etienne (just south of Lyon) that was via euro tunnel.
    Three routes I could use once I cross the Channel:

- Belgium into the top of Germany and then to the south, could stop in Bruges for a 'little gay beer'
    - Through France and then Belgium to the west of Germany
    - Through France mostly to hit southwest Germany.

I would be stopping in Stuttgart at the Porsche museum and no doubt try and buy one. Either way, I'd need new springs and dampers as the current lot are crap and only a year old! Suppose it depends on what the MOT man says next week.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport AUM K03S|Second owner|Forge 007p|CM TIP|Yellow Dogbone|Pipercross panel|Stage1Map
    WANTED: Audi A4 B7 or MK5 5Dr Golf GTi (manual)(Want to Buy December 2014 so Keep Me in Mind)

6th Gear

Status
    Have to say on the way there I was done in after the 900 miles, but on the way back I could have done more.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

we did France, Belgium then Luxembourg and down to Switzerland but you could easily go across to south Germany that way. we did Ferrari factory and museum tour, was awesome.
    French tole roads aren't cheap i don't think and thats why we took the route we did.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    Have to say on the way there I was done in after the 900 miles, but on the way back I could have done more.
    Is that because you recognise more on the way back so you have more of an idea of how long you have left?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy1608 View Post
    we did France, Belgium then Luxembourg and down to Switzerland but you could easily go across to south Germany that way. we did Ferrari factory and museum tour, was awesome.
    French tole roads aren't cheap i don't think and thats why we took the route we did.
    Cool, I think I'll go Belgium up to Germany and then down to the south....tempted to try and accidentally make it run into Oktobest fest for some beer time. I would feel like I've missed out if I don't go further to Italy for the museums, but maybe that's best for another time.

Cheers guys.

1st Gear

Status
    I Drive in Europe for a Living ,covering 3500km a week, But in a Volvo FH16-750cv , But I can still offer Help, Where are u starting from and What's ur Final Destination....I Use most Uk Ports and Eurotunnel and there's Very few Routes From Norway/Sweeden in the North and Tunisia,Morroco in the South that I don't use over a year.....

4th Gear

Status
    Hi mate,

Newcastle Upon Tyne start, down to Dover (Chunnel) then final destination would be somewhere nice in Bavaria, Germany. Haven't totally decided on where exactly yet, might even be Italy/Switzerland, not sure yet.

YSN
    Neutral

Status
    The furthest I drove in a day was about 220 miles to Lincolnshire and back.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by YSN View Post
    The furthest I drove in a day was about 220 miles to Lincolnshire and back.
    Haha, that's not very far LOL. I regularly drive down to London to meet new clients. Usually a handshake, a chat and a coffee then I'm back on the road. 500 miles in a day is easy, just not sure what it will be like doing double that. I did do it once, just thinking back to that job where I was an on-call tech, 1000 miles in a day but it was with a fuel card, mostly through the night (fast..) and in a Transit. I'm sure my Recaro-esque seats will be comfier than that....but I'll have to drive slower with the missus in the car (booo...)

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Italy was nice apart from getting mugged in Milan, was really shocked when we went to Ferrari though, thought it would be in this beautiful place but its just in the middle of town lol. Enzo Ferrari house/museum sticks out like a sore thumb lol

5th Gear

Status
    I once drove from Harrogate to Cork Ireland then to Belfast.
    JudderMan likes this.
    Audi A3 8P Sport Back 170BHP (And I Love it)

web page: philseagust.co.uk
    E-Mail:info@philseagust.co.uk

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

id love to go to oktoberfest

6th Gear

Status
    I drove to wick from retford, did a couple hours work on a car, took 3 hours broken sleep, drove home via brotec and Stockton on Tees to work on two more cars, run a total of 1200 miles with detours, wouldn't want to do it again.
    JudderMan likes this.
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

6th Gear

Status
    I drove from Bedford to Bergerac in a day, arriving at about 16:30 pm in time for the shops before they closed.
    JudderMan likes this.
    Live your life as if nobody is watching you.

1st Gear

Status
    If I Was u , I'd be Jumping on the Dfds Ferry over to Ijumiden ,17hr crossing , I recommend the Expolorer Steak and from there in my Truck I Can do Gieswind/Bavaria no Bother in my 9hrs at 56mph. Italy from Gieswind is another 9hrs for me Via the Brenner Pass.....So in a car u would make Austria without any Problems ..... In Holland and Germany there's No Road taxes for a Car, But Austria ud need to Buy A Road tax Sticker and in Italy u have Toll Barriers ...
    JudderMan likes this.

6+1 Gears

Status
    I drove from Szeged (Hungary) to Budapest than back to Szeged and Bucharest in Romania. Almost 1000 Km in a single day.
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

Neutral

Status
    Hi Mate. You mention the Ring, so assume you fancy taking in a few laps while you're passing through ? I've been across to Germany a few times, always on bikes with a few mates. We always take the Hull to Zebregge ferry, it leaves Hull at around 19.00 and arrives in Belgium at around 08.00. We take the E403 south to meet the E40, stay on the E40 past Liege and take the exit for Eupen, cross into Germany at Monschau and take the 258 all the way to the ring. We stay at the Ringhause hotel, it's very good and right next to the entrance. The 258 is a fantastic road, billiard table smooth with fast sweeping bends for miles. Last time we were there we did two days at the ring and then headed down through Gemany through Bavaria following the romantic route (sounds dodgy I know) which takes in some superb medieval towns linked together by fantastic roads. We over nighted in Dinkelsbuhl then on to Austria, crossing the border at Fussen. If you've seen the Great escape, you'll recognise the area, it's where McQueen tried to jump the fence on the bike, rolling fields with the Alps in the background, bloody fantastic. We headed upto Obergurgle in the Alps, then over the timmelsjoch pass into Italy, highly recommend. A few more passes and then over the Stelvio, up into Switzerland and back into Germany, taking the famous B500 north, though Zell and across Alsace to Belgium. We did around 2500 miles, 9 nights incuding 2 on the ferry. The Alps are a must do, you really should go, and Austria is a best kept secret.
    Have a great trip.
    2013MY B8 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Avant quattro 245ps Black edition in Moonlight blue, S-tronic box, Nappa leather, 3G MMI, Technology pack high etc etc etc, 19" Rotor design with Conti sport contact 3's.
    Smoooooooooth mover.

1st Gear

Status
    I once drove a van from Stoke-on-Trent down to Tonbridge then up to Glasgow and back to Stoke in a day. To say i was knackered is an understatement.

2nd Gear

Status
    in a nice small & quiet village on outskirts of huddersfield!!

My Social Networking

Add craigynett on Google+
    just short of 700 miles with about 6hrs of work spread out through various points of the day. For the last couple of months i've been doing 500+ miles most weekends with work
    Please contact Admin if you wish to advertise your business/services on the forum

1st Gear

Status
    Edinburgh to Newquay, about 550-600 miles, driving a Rover 620, if that wasn't bad enough i was also towing a caravan. Nightmare. I used to drive long stints regularly but not so much now. Sometimes I feel fine, other times tired. Just have to make sure you stop when you need to as it can be easy to loose concentration over long distances.

5th Gear

Status
    Salou (Spain) to Liverpool in just under 23 hours.
    (Driving was split between two of us)

2002 A4 Avant Quattro Sport 2.5 V6 TDi - 219Bhp - Votex
    BCS Automotive Turbo-Back - Remap -
    19" RS6 Reps - B6 S4 Brakes - Symphony II+
    - Weitec GT
    - 2001 Honda CBR600-FS1 -

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    South East to Venice Italy, 1k miles or so in iirc 16-18 hours, when I got out of the car I was literally a cripple, couldn't walk well & looked like a crack addict, but the drive is stunning in the summer times across France, down through Switzerland which is beautiful, absolutely loved it, done it numerous times but I have stopped more on route these days as no point killing myself, lol.
    warren_S5 likes this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Status
    1000 miles from Northampton to Marina Port Vell in Barcelona. About 18 hours in total. Wouldn't do it in such a hurry next time.
    NHN likes this.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

2nd Gear

Status
    The worst part of any long distance is the insane traffic whenever ive had a big drive (done 1200 miles in 1 day) we usually set off when the roads are dead
    10pm ish get the hammer down and usually by your destination by 10am knackered but glad it wasnt double the time due to daytime traffic

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    I've smashed through £140 of V power in a day.

Didn't look at the mileage covered but I know it was over 500.

I'm sure I have travelled further distances in the 1 day but getting through 100 litres of V power in about 8 hours was quite memorable although very shattering that evening and the next day! lol
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Around 450mile is my max in one day, which included a complete loop of the M25! Lol. Took forever!!

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    included a complete loop of the M25! Lol. Took forever!!
    I've done this a few times in my time! lol

Pretty nuts when you look back at your journey on a map tbh.....there are a few people out there that time how long it takes

What is the fastest lap around the M25 motorway?
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Southport - Nurburgring. 635miles

6th Gear

Status
    North France, after 2 days i got banned wife had to drive home she wasn't happy
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.
    ***Audi's In The Park***The Biggest Audi Event In Europe 10th August 2014*** http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audis-park-aitp-2014/221933-audis-park-2014-show-10th-august-billing-aquadrome.html
    Reputation given for the best answer.

3rd Gear

Status
    Did North of Norwich to Monaco last year for the F1. Approx 1,000 miles. (180 in UK and 880 in France)
    Last minute invite onto a motor yacht moored just down from the tunnel, I couldn't turn it down.

Left on the Thursday evening at 19:00hrs, ferry at 22:30 and into France for 01:30.
    The drive down was only broken up when we needed petrol, which in my B6 S4 V8 was every 250 miles. It did mean we got to stop for a pee and black coffee every 3 hours, which worked out well.

We arrived at 15:00hrs on the Friday, proper knackered but an early night (midnight) on the Friday had us set up for 2 days of massive excess over the weekend.

Left on the Monday at 8am and repeated the drive/petrol/pee thing for the whole day back to Calais. Caught the 18:00 hr ferry back to the UK and I got back home around 22:00 that Monday evening.

Best part of the trip - Being within 30 feet of the F1 cars and having a fantastic weekend of free food and booze
    Worst part - The cost of the fuel and having to keep stopping every 3 hours for it plus the cost of the tolls.

Would I do it again? In a flash, it was a once in a lifetime experience.
    JudderMan likes this.
    2011 S3 Sportback S-tronic Black Edition - Revo stage 1
    2006 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport - For track days and sunny days.
    2003 S4 V8 Saloon Manual Milltek Cat Back - Sold

Neutral

Status
    i did 800 miles to scotland last year, was horrid after an early start but energy drinks were my friend lol and plenty of stops to wake myself up
    JudderMan likes this.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Around 450mile is my max in one day, which included a complete loop of the M25! Lol. Took forever!!
    I wondered who that was who looped the M25 3 times before realising it was a huge roundabout.
    jdp1962 likes this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    I did an Air, Boat and road trip all in one day.
    I felt like P Diddy lol

Nothing major though, I seen a car I liked in Ireland so flew over put it on a ferry and drove down from Scotland. Wasn't a bad day

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    The most driving I've done in one day, non stop (apart from fuel) is from Roscoff in france to Torrevieja in southern spain.
    About 1200 miles and 19 hours in a Renault van, no AC and 35 degrees heat.

The next furthest is Andorra to Roscoff in the Audi. 700 miles in about 10 hours, non stop on one tank.
    Audimad and superkarl like this.

New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    I have driven from London to Munich in one day. Its very do-able. The bit I hated was the waiting for the slow ferry. Otherwise its all fine roads.
    Driving on the other side is fine on the motorway but does get a bit annoying on their A roads with single lane traffic, so you need a good passenger to tell you when to best overtake.
    And take plenty of food and music with you.

3rd Gear

Status
    I do the drive to Le Mann every year 670 miles ...
    Audimad and JudderMan like this.
    2013 A4 2.0 TDi 177 quattro Black Edition - Glacier White

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony566 View Post
    I do the drive to Le Mann every year 670 miles ...
    I'll be driving down this year for the 24 Heurs- but no where near as many miles as we will be taking the boat to Caen from Portsmouth and I already live down South.
    JudderMan likes this.
    2000 S3 APY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast