VW Passat V5 2003 worth buying???

audi5e

Reaction score
Website
www.simplybirding.com
My old man's merc is packing up and he is thinking of getting a 2003 VW Passat V5. Do you guys think this is a good car? I don't know much about them.

This one is the tiptronic version with a full service history and about 120000km's...

Any advice on what to look for?

Cheers!

Don't know much, but do know that the 2.3ltr V5 engine in the Golf is weak on high milers and as such is unloved in the trade, so low value. I take it, it's the same lump in the Passat !

Sorry I couldn't be of more help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hmmm I though the 5 cyl unit was a very strong unit. It's been around for ever in some for or another in most older audi's.

Is it not the same 5 pot in the golf as it is in the older audis ?

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm I though the 5 cyl unit was a very strong unit. It's been around for ever in some for or another in most older audi's.

Is it not the same 5 pot in the golf as it is in the older audis ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The V5 is basically a VR6 less one cylinder, not to be associated with the Audi 5cyl 20v units.

The 2.3 V5 has only ever been in VW cars. They only lasted a short number of years and have not been carried over to latest models and was never used in Audi range at all. This together with being thirsty and no performance gain........make your own conclusions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

aye, the v5 is a pointless ****.

Well, it's neither one thing nor another, is it?

Audi used to boast that the in-line 5-cyl was as smooth as a six and as economical as a four.

My limited experience of the V5, and it appears others on here think the same, is that it's as economical as a six and as smooth as a four.

Why would you bother?

IIRC the V5 was available in 10v and 20v form for Golf Mk4 applications, not sure which was used in the Passat models, but the 10v gave 150bhp and the 20v version had 170bhp, 20v's had a red 'V' on the boot.