Speedo reading

pwnorman

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
I know this has been talked about before and i know mines out by 4mph at normal cruising speed but does this meen that the mileometer is also out just been curious for a while now and wondered if anyone knew.

All speedo's are calibrated to over read i.e. read 100mph when actually doing only 95mph.
The mileometer should be far more accurate given standard wheels, correct tyre pressures etc, but given the fact that new tyres will give a bigger rolling diameter than barely legal ones there's always going to be a degree of inaccuracy.
Even if this is 5% does it really present a problem? 100k miles or 105k miles isn't really gonna make much difference in the scheme of things.

I've "calibrated" mine with GPS and found that 73 (speedo) = 70 GPS so the Audi speedo is surprisely accurate.

yeah - I get about 4mph difference with GPS (tom Tom) when doing about 70 mph - GPS reads slower

It seems they're all different even on the same year, model, spec of car. I know a few people with S4's who say there's is a few mph out.

Mine's accurate to within 0.5mph even at top speed.