HELP...redundancy legal advice please...

myzeneye

Reaction score
hey guys....
can any one offer any advice here.... the wifes getting laid off, and her employers are being a bit snydey.... i just sent the email below to the local citizens advice beurua, but im sure theyll take an age to respond.... so if any one can help....cheers...

"my self and around 16 other employers are about to be made redundant from our employment .. .. our employers human recources dept formally advised us and issued us with "at risk of redundancy" letters and a redundancy information pack, containing redundancy pay information. all employees were pleased to read from the given tables and charted information, that their redundancy pay would be roughly double the statuatory rate. On a second meeting with the human resources team, we were told that the information we had been given was wrong, and we would only recieve statuatory redundancy pay. can they do this, being as they have already made their terms on paper only a fortnight before ???
i have checked my contract of employment, and there is no mention of redundancy procedure in it.???
where do we stand legally on this matter ?
finally, they have also said that they would honour any redundancy pay should any employee have to leave to start a new job, providing the formal redundancy letters had been issued.... they then went on to say that they would not issue the formal notification untill two weeks prior to store closure ???
is two weeks enough notification ? i have been in their employment for over 7 years. store closure has been given for middle of may 2006.... i hope you can offer advice on this matter, and also appreciate the urgency to get this issue resumed.

yours .........

hope someone can help...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Sorry to here it i got made redundent a year ago as far as i'm aware from memory they have to give a months notice cant remember how the money thing was worked out but i'm sure it was a weeks pay for every year or something like that dont know about them changeing the amount but from my experiance of H.R departments they dont have a ****** clue what they are doing and dont give a toss and not to be trusted, your also allowed time off togo for interviews but be carefull leaveing before the notice period ends because they may not pay your redundacy, i may be wrong, good luck anyway.

cheers guys....
im still non the wiser as to weather they can actually give you a written agreement of a redundancy sum, then go back on their offer saying they made a mistake and will only give statuatory redundancy pay ???
chances are, i think, they'll just get away with it, but its just not on in my book.

Give a proper employment lawyer a call... if you want the details of the guys I spoke to when I was made redundant send me a pm, I'm sure they'll help over the phone and probably for free for a quick question.

Myzeneye, you have a PM to your yahoo account, some hopefully useful documentation - let me know if you dont use the yahoo one anymore and i'll send it wherever you want.

Ben

cheers youz gize.....

cheers ben ..... i got the file... nice one mate, that helps..... incidentally, i dont use that account much anymore but i still access it on occaision....