Sleep Apnea

LEE69

07 170 DSG
Reaction score
Hi all just a bit of info, that you may know about or you may not.

Hi, I have a condition called sleep apnea.Basically i can stop breathing in the night and this makes you so tired through the day, dozing off, falling asleep ie Jane (wife) can leave the room to make a drink, when she comes back i was asleep.Been using a cpap machine since early October, and it now under control.Can stay up later and wake up earlier not tired to sleep during the day.But the offset is that dvla needed to be told and revoked my licence.I am at the stage of re-applying for it as the condition is under control now.

If you know anyone who is affected by daytime sleep/dozing, please get in touch with your doctor, as that next sleep, if driving, might be there last.

*Sorry to have interrupted you with my annoying tittle tattle, I will not do it again*

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lee, very interesting to read this as someone I know has recently been diagnosed with this too, his weight was a factor of this as well though and he is cutting hid weight down quite a bit and has noticed a difference. He was exactly the same as you though, if you left him for a minute, he would be asleep.

I used to be the same where I would fall asleep anywhere too, literally within minutes, even now though, if i am sat idle, im knocked out, thats just due to me doing 10 million things during the day. LOL.

I dont remember the last time I watched a full film :(

Good to hear you are noticing the difference, I bet its helping you loads.

Reactions: LEE69
yes weight can be a factor although i know of several now with normal weight/bmi.Yes has helped immensely, go to bed later, get up earlier, haven't dozed of in the day since end of November time, difference is huge.I never used the cpap last night as where the mask sits i have a sore, and i'm really noticing the tiredness today.

Always good to see/hear a post like this, that may help others out!

Good to know you feeling the benefit of that machine.

If it helps one person to stop and think, that's me!! my job is done, once under control you feel 100% better.

Reactions: Nilz
Finally got my licence back yesterday, such a relief.

Reactions: Nilz, crazy88 and Ghost
Well done mate, hopefully you are feeling alot better for it now?

I have been in contact with my uncle and he has been hitting the gym hard and due to having so much more energy he has lost lots of weight too and feels so much better now!!

My old man has this and flatly refuses to do anything about it. I don't know whether its down to fear of losing his license, or whether he's just bone idle lazy* (*substitute with stupid), but we bang on and on about him getting it sorted and he doesn't give a damn. I think as far as he's concerned when he's asleep it's not his problem, my argument is that the day that it happens in the seat of his car I hope he only affects himself.

Well done you for confronting it and dealing with it, and sharing the knowledge. Sincerely wish you all the best that the treatment starts to deliver benefits and you get back to where you need to be.

Warren, its defo worth approaching it and you dont necessarily lose your license, it depends on how bad it is and how it can be controlled, as if it can be controlled well enough, they can keep their license.

Reactions: warren_S5
I am 100% better and started back to swimming this morning.
Warren (SCN maybe?) I have sinced found out it is up to the patient themselves to inform DVLA.
You start the treatment with the sleep clinic, then when it is under control you can tell the DVLA (wish i knew that!!)
I was having small wake ups through the night but not realising it, and that made me sleep in the day very easily, but not once did i fall asleep whilst driving, it was always at home watching tv.
It can be fatal if not treated.
It takes a while to get used to the mask at night, but i have at least 5 solid nights sleep now per week and don't sleep at all in the day.

Reactions: Nilz and warren_S5
Great news Lee. Can imagine acclimatising to the mask can be a PITA. Unfortunately as the old man is a stubborn old sod we just can't make him see sense on this. It's been the topic of many huge fall outs in our family, and thankfully he drives so infrequently now that the risk is mitigated to an extent, but even still I find it offensive that some old folk choose to put convenience ahead of the greater good / right thing to do.

And yes; ex-SCN'er (I do miss my LCR's)!

Only sold my Leon October time had the A3 since end of August.

Warren, as the saying goes, you cant teach an old dog new tricks (no offence), we have the same in our family, mine are of an Indian background, so very macho about everything and illness is not an option!!

However, times are changing ever so slowly and a new generation of olders are appearing and they are a bit more wiser and health conscious.