EM TuningBadger5
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Stevieb2905
  • 2 Post By enoliver

Thread: Purchasing tyres from the internet

Reverse Gear

Status

Purchasing tyres from the internet

I recently found myself browsing through the internet looking at tires. It blows my mind to look at the way things have changed over the past 100 years in relation to tires. To think that they once began as a wooden circle and have developed to the point that they are capable of carrying a vehicle at over 200 miles per hours. It's really neat to look at it all.

On Wikipedia at Formula One tyres - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia they state that Formula 1 race cars use a total of 6 different types of tires. It's crazy to think that they need that many just to race around a track. At one time tires were nothing more than a rubber shell with a rubber air filled tube in it. Similar to bicycle tires today.

Now we have a tire for every possible driving condition available to us. There are tires specifically designed for driving in the rain or snow. Others are available for off road driving. There are tires that will resist bullets, and others that will instantly re-inflate if a bullet manages to puncture its surface. Tires for motorcycles, and tires for heavy duty construction vehicles. Vehicles are even able to provide live feedback on how inflated a tire is and when it needs air.

So anyway, enough of the history of tires and what they can do. I found myself stumbling upon websites online that allow for the purchasing of tires. I found this website at Cheap Tyres Online with Price Promise Guarantee! They offer access to every name brand possible and basically every type of tire those companies offer.

Has anyone else ever purchased tires from the internet? It would seem that they would be challenging and expensive to mail. I haven't taken the time to see what the shipping would be, but I was wondering if it really is as simple as order and receive like it is for other products purchased online. I pity the mail person who has to carry those things to my front door.

I was hoping some of you have ordered tires online and could give me some feedback on your experiences with doing so. I understand I will have to take the tires and have them mounted, but if I can save a significant amount of money on purchasing the tires it would be worth it. Mounting doesn't cost very much at all and can be done in about 20 minutes. So any feedback on your experiences?

2. # ADS
    ADS

poking badgers with spoons
    Mouse Race Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion

Status
    I have bought tyres from camskills before I had no problems and they were cheaper than from a tyre fitters
    k03s/k04 hybrid a3 275bhp 293lbft
    vr6 mk2 golf gti

fellow north east members add your name to this list.
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/north-e...%2A%2A%2A.html

1st Gear

Status
    +1 for Camskill

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    As said above Camskill usually offers the cheapest price for the tyre size/makes I require.

Also double check the prices with other well known websites to make sure they don't have any special offer on.

Mytyres.co.uk blackcircles.com and oponeo.com are the ones that come to mind.

I have purchased tyres from all of the above websites and I was most impressed with the delivery and service of Oponeo who are actually based in Poland and send the tyres over by courier. Just to add, I didn't have any issues with the others and Tyre reviews, tests and ratings | the online tyre guide is a very useful site to look at reviews of the tyres you may want to purchase.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

1st Gear

Status
    Used mytyres, no issues at all, got them delivered direct to my fitters
    45bvtc likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    To the OP I have used tyre shopper several times to buy tyres.
    If you look at the fitting centre locations they are all National Tyre centres. Tyre Shopper is National Tyres way of selling tyres on the net.
    Also recently used Asda tyres Car Tyres Online | Fitted Locally from ASDA� Tyres
    pick the tyre , pick the place where you want them fitted and an appointment slot and just turn up.
    Camskill is good if you have a tyre place you know will fit and balance them, normally around £10 a tyre so factor that in the price.
    Tyre traders are also good Car-Tyres, Van tyres, 4X4 Tyres

Karl.
    Karls 312bhp A4 3.0 TDI build thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4...ld-thread.html

Brum brum

Status
    +1 Camskill
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Looking for Zombies !!

Status
    I used BlackCrcles, excellent service and great price.

JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

5th Gear

Status
    I defo recommend Camskill.
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

Neutral

Status
    Bought a set of 4 from eBay a while ago, and were by far cheaper than anywhere else. Delivered quickly then down to my local tyre fitter to have them replaced at £5 per wheel.

Definitely a wise way to go.

5th Gear

Status
    I actually got my last set from eBay (i normally buy from Camskill). I bought 1 tyre from here and another from there. All the same make and all the same tread depth and condition. I saved hundreds!
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI S line, Misano Red, 19" Black Edition Rotors, RS4 Grille, Sat Nav, AMI, Bluetooth, Phone & Voice Prep, CD Changer, Gloss Pack, Heated Seats, Cruise Control, Electric Folding Mirrors, S line Suspension, Dynamic Boot Spoiler, K&N Typhoon Induction Kit

Neutral

Status
    Well...thank you so much for the history lesson! I had no idea that tyres could be used at over 200 mph! Nor had I realised tyres could be designed for rain or snow!

Your post looks a little like an advert for the web site you identified, and the reason I say that is because, had you really been "stumbling upon websites online that allow for the purchasing of tires", I think you may have found cheaper ones. If you keep looking you will find many web sites where you can buy all manner of things; you could even buy a car! and you should see a post man try to deliver one of those!!

It also seems odd that you would know that mounting tyres is inexpensive, and quick, since you appear to indicate that you didn't even know one could buy them on line.

But hey, that's just how it looks to me.
    Last edited by enoliver; 14th January 2014 at 15:58.
    Viking and JudderMan like this.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    Tires or tyres? LOL

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

Neutral

Status
    TYRES!!

Definitely TYRES....

Foursprung Duck Technik

Status
    Camskill are great. I bought my winters from them last year but managed to do a deal with my local tyre place who match their delivered price, so I save about £40 per set once fitted.
    MY'09 S3 Sportback |Gloss Black Mirrors |Buckets |Black Optiks |Open Sky |Light & Rain Sensor Pack |CH/LH Lights |RNS-E & No Highs No Lows it must be Bose |

1st Gear

Status

Purchasing tyres from the internet

I bought my last set of Conti SC5's from blackcircles and had them fitted at one of their premium dealers 4 miles from me. Was cheap as I found them anywhere but also got 3000 Tesco points at the time too also a bonus.
    Last edited by ChrisP1303; 19th January 2014 at 10:22.

5th Gear

Status
    I use mytyres.co.uk. I've had 5-sets of tyres (RS3, TT, A2) from these guys in the last 2-years and found no fault with delivery, the tyres themselves, or the financial transaction. Can't fault 'em, 100% recommended.

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    I bought my Michelin from Camskill and had them delivered straight to Lepsons whilst having the wheels refurbed, both companies were happy to let me do that and I saved on tyre fitting costs.

Thats a thumbs up for both Camskill and Lepsons both really pleasant to deal with and helpful.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow rezulteo On Twitter Add rezulteo on Facebook
    You can find all of the best tyre retailers on our site right here Tyres UK. To buy and fit tyres in UK. rezulteo
    All tyres for Audi and tyre news, advice, tests and comparisons on http://www.rezulteo-tyres.co.uk
    Follow us on Twitter !
    Like our Facebook page !

1st Gear

Status
    I last bought through FunkyTyres on facebook.