Tv installation...

Jp-tqs

Reaction score
Hi, we have a problem tuning in a tv in an upstairs bedroom! We're in a new build house. I put an aerial in the loft and tuned in the tv down stairs no problem. Now, two bedrooms upstairs have aerial connections fixed into the wall, but if i connect a tv upstairs it wont tune in as there is no signal?! When we moved in there were two co-axial leads in the loft, i hooked one up to an aerial and the downstairs tv tuned in fine, but why does'nt a tv tune in upstairs plugged in to the built in aerial socket?!
Hope this makes sense and help!!

You need to get some sort of a splitter (and probably worth getting one with a built in signal booster/amplifier as well although you'll need power to run it which may be tricky in the loft) so that you can plug the aerial you fitted into it and then split the signal 3 ways - one for your lounge, and one each for the two bedroom sockets.

I have a similar setup in my house, 1 aerial feeding a 4 way amplified splitter which puts signals into the lounge, kitchen and 2 bedrooms.

Thanks for the reply^^. Not sure if im being clear though! Tv is tuned in fine down stairs, but when trying to tune in a tv to the ready fitted aerial socket upstairs, the tv wont tune....... Why?!!!!!!!

You will have a co ax cable for each tv outlet. You need to take one from your aerial to a splitter preferably boosted. Then connect all your co ax cables in the splitter. Each tv point in a new build will be wired back to the loft individually.

Hope this helps. (Elec engineer ;))

in new builds they only connect the coax in the rooms to the faceplates, not in the loft, so the 2 coax in the loft one is for the bedroom and the other for the lounge, get the one that isnt connected put onto a 2way splitter (with there only being 2 coax you wont need a powered amplifier) so long your signal is good and all your connctions are spot on.