• 3 Post By jdp1962
  • 1 Post By phil_w
  • 1 Post By jimmcgee
  • 1 Post By Dean_T

Thread: Ipad users beware....

TFSI Hybrid

Status

Ipad users beware....

I bought my mrs an ipad 2 years ago, it was the top one 64g + sim paid just short of £600

last week it went dodgy just showing the apple symbol, looked on the web, tried all sorts still no good..
    so i thought bite the bullet and take it into Apple, 10 mins later the apple tech came out and said sorry we are having the same problem it is stuck in a recovery mode loop.. , ok i thought this is going to cost me, then he dropped the bombshell that it is fit for the bin!! they do not repair them!!
    I was gobsmacked, he then went on to say "we can offer you £10 off a new one, im sorry but that is the best i can do"
    So if your Ipad is out of warranty beware, try to get it on apples warranty plan, if not and something goes wrong you have a super expensive cheese board!!

Apparantly if anything goes wrong under warranty, they just give you a new one they do not repair ipads!..

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    and this is different from any other manufacturer how?

claim it off your house insurance. because you dropped it and now its broken. or get a 3rd party to repair it.
    back to boost, oh how I missed thee....

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    and this is different from any other manufacturer how?

claim it off your house insurance. because you dropped it and now its broken. or get a 3rd party to repair it.
    Because you would like to think it can be repaired being only 2 years old, its not broken physically it still looks brand new, no 3rd party can repair too ive enquirerd there are no parts available, as for claiming on house ins there will be a excess fee plus it will shoot the premium up the following year..

4th Gear

Status
    not £600 it wont.
    back to boost, oh how I missed thee....

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Same thing happened to a colleague's iPhone 5... stuck in recovery mode loop.

I downloaded a bit of software that connects to the phone and forces it out of recovery mode. Apparently it doesn't work 100% of the time but worked a treat on phone, and now it's as good as new now.

The software is called Tiny Umbrella (download link ----> LINK )

Install it... run it.... connect your ipad.... click one of the 'fix' buttons at the top.... and pray.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Tried it mate, i think its an hardware fault

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Sell it on ebay as faulty. You''ll probably get a good bit of money for it still. A quick search finds a 16gb wifi only one going for £70 with a day to go.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Because you would like to think it can be repaired being only 2 years old, its not broken physically it still looks brand new, no 3rd party can repair too ive enquirerd there are no parts available, as for claiming on house ins there will be a excess fee plus it will shoot the premium up the following year..
    Why not try a "not of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose" claim against the supplying retailer under the Sale of Goods Act? You can reasonably argue that an expensive piece of so-called advanced consumer electronics should have a useable working life of more than two years.

If you paid for it by credit card, you can by-pass the retailer and make the claim directly to your credit card issuer under S.75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. If the credit card issuer doesn't play ball, you can then make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman (against the credit card issuer).
    Last edited by jdp1962; 29th November 2013 at 18:31.
    Oranoco, s3dave and davc like this.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

2nd Gear

Status

Ipad users beware....

Apple offer a fixed rate out of warranty exchange for 199. Not ideal, admittedly but an option nonetheless.

Handling fee extra but here's the link...

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?pa...m&product=ipad
    s3dave likes this.
    Work: A3 Sportback Black Edition 2.0TDI Home: A4 Avant 2.0 TDI Quattro S-Line

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Thanks Lads, something to consider i would happily pay the OOW exchange now, or its gonna cost me big again, some will think why stick with Apple, i personally dislike the paranoid company, but the mrs has paid for so much gear in i tunes she has to stick with them (films,books,music)

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Cheers Phil all sorted with Apple on the OOW scheme.....
    Just miffed i got the info off an audi forum and not Apple....

1st Gear

Status
    so if its in warranty , they fling the old one in the bin and give you a new one , just think how much they are making these things for if they can do that lol
    s3dave likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    I wouldnt have paid that - I would of stuck to my guns and the sales of goods, even small claims if it came to it.

Paying £600 for something it should last longer than 2 years.
    s3dave likes this.
    Dean.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    You are correct Dean, but i havent got time for the hassle plus my mrs was giving me some....Quiet life costs these days...

2nd Gear

Status
    I couldn't tell you one end of an engine from the other but I was an Apple Service tech for 8 years so know how their service side works :-)

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmcgee View Post
    so if its in warranty , they fling the old one in the bin and give you a new one , just think how much they are making these things for if they can do that lol
    Apple have a lot of cash stashed away, I'm sure a couple of iPads is not going to effect them financially.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

2nd Gear

Status
    They do go back for reworking/good part salvaging - and become a refurb later down the line.